Brexit Winners: who were they?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
People that can say that they were on the winning side for once. The negative consequences, economic or otherwise, don’t matter because they can tell themselves that they kicked against the pricks and prevailed.

Ian H

Guru
Various hedge-fund managers and Johnson's wealthy friends (whom he relies on so as not to have to live in penury on his PM's salary) will have benefited. Multinational conglomerates prefer dealing with fragmented, less-powerful governments. What's not to like?

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
People that can say that they were on the winning side for once. The negative consequences, economic or otherwise, don’t matter because they can tell themselves that they kicked against the pricks and prevailed.
Those people, plus I'd include those who think the negative consequences for themselves are a price worth paying for the ongoing distress and damage dealt to those who they want to see 'got'. I think there are a lot of those people. An awful, awful (literally) lot. :sad:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
The Chinese? With a weakened Europe and continued Chinese economic growth and the influence this brings a smaller EU and isolated if not weak UK is not a good thing. The Americans seem to me to be on a path back to at least partial isolation, so Europe cannot remain a protectorate for ever, and will have to put its own house in order.

Moodyman

The Chinese? With a weakened Europe and continued Chinese economic growth and the influence this brings a smaller EU and isolated if not weak UK is not a good thing. The Americans seem to me to be on a path back to at least partial isolation, so Europe cannot remain a protectorate for ever, and will have to put its own house in order.

Doubt the Chinese or the Americans benefit from Brexit. The Chinese would rather deal with one entity in Europe, usually Berlin, rather than multiple governments.

The Americans too. They particularly liked the UK in with one foot because they had a friendlier (puppet) government to veto EU schemes detrimental to the USA.

Now...the Russians. Well, they'll benefit from a fragmented Europe. Germany has long wanted a less confrontational relationship with the Russians, to the consternation of the UK and US. A departed UK weakens the EU and means Germany and France set the framework of things.

Archie_tect

The world's leaders seem to be intentionally increasing hostility... have the G20 decided who and where to have it in order to sideswipe mounting concerns about climate change...

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Doubt the Chinese or the Americans benefit from Brexit. The Chinese would rather deal with one entity in Europe, usually Berlin, rather than multiple governments.

The Americans too. They particularly liked the UK in with one foot because they had a friendlier (puppet) government to veto EU schemes detrimental to the USA.

Now...the Russians. Well, they'll benefit from a fragmented Europe. Germany has long wanted a less confrontational relationship with the Russians, to the consternation of the UK and US. A departed UK weakens the EU and means Germany and France set the framework of things.
I had Putin's Russia as the main winner through the weakening of European institutions and any vestige of solidarity on the continent.
I didn't see China as gaining much - I have them as wanting to make their money by trading with rich nations and nothing in a fractured Europe will add to the riches.

mjr

I had Putin's Russia as the main winner through the weakening of European institutions and any vestige of solidarity on the continent.
Yep, Vlad was top of my list of winners too, after Boris who gets his 15 minutes of fame as PM, followed by decades of notoriety for his team's lethally inept handling of covid.

I didn't see China as gaining much - I have them as wanting to make their money by trading with rich nations and nothing in a fractured Europe will add to the riches.
Oh I don't know. Some shortsighted nation on the edge of Europe which has undermined its own energy security and squandered fossil fuels without transitioning to renewables may beg China to install and operate nuclear kit and even guarantee an inflated price for what it generates.

(Go on, admit you expected that to be about Bradwell B and Sizewell C.)

The Crofted Crest

A beef about Brexit. Someone must have been telling porkies. Butchered from the Graun

Meat processors in Great Britain are having to export carcasses destined for domestic consumption to the EU because of the shortage of skilled workers. Beef producers are exporting carcasses to Ireland for butchering and packing before the products are brought back to Great Britain. Pork processors are looking into shipping pig carcasses to the Netherlands to be butchered. The move was aimed at preventing a widespread cull of healthy pigs on farms because of a lack of capacity at abattoirs and meat processing plants. However, 10,000 of the animals have been killed so far and the cull continues. One problem for pork producers is that any meat exported to the EU for butchering would not be allowed to be labelled as British pork when reimported to the UK for sale. The move to export meat for processing will cost an additional £1,500 for each lorryload of carcasses.

Top Bottom