Burnham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psamathe

Squire
One solution is to prevent any and all donations, all registered parties get an equal footing from a government allowance
Except Government money is actually our money - it's come from us, taxes. So disabled suffering inadequate funding, homelessness, failing underfunded NHS, defence in need of lots of funding, etc. and our money is to be used to fund the silly games of our political classes?
 

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Most people are happy with a sub-2 hour time, no?

Yup.

Unless you're proper going for it sub 2 hours is very respectable. You're barely moving until you get over the Tyne Bridge, and even then it's a good mile before the crowd properly thins out.

Deceptively undulating course too, with a killer uphill from mile 10 - 11.
 

secretsqirrel

spiteful class warrior
Yup.

Unless you're proper going for it sub 2 hours is very respectable. You're barely moving until you get over the Tyne Bridge, and even then it's a good mile before the crowd properly thins out.

Deceptively undulating course too, with a killer uphill from mile 10 - 11.

I think its great that a Prime Minister can take part in a mass participation event like this, raise some money for charity like everybody else taking part.
I think he had a couple of low profile security guys run with him but nothing overboard.

Imagine Farage………..🤔 Oh never mind.
 

Psamathe

Squire
I think its great that a Prime Minister can take part in a mass participation event like this, raise some money for charity like everybody else taking part.
I think he had a couple of low profile security guys run with him but nothing overboard.
How is it that Burnham as PM can participate in such events where Starmer required the generous donations from vested lobbying interests to be able to attend a football match (in best seats in the stadium)?
 

UglyWithaSidePart

Active Member
Except Government money is actually our money - it's come from us, taxes. So disabled suffering inadequate funding, homelessness, failing underfunded NHS, defence in need of lots of funding, etc. and our money is to be used to fund the silly games of our political classes?

yeah I know, there's probably the basics of a plan there, though. Better than what we have now.
 

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I think its great that a Prime Minister can take part in a mass participation event like this, raise some money for charity like everybody else taking part.
I think he had a couple of low profile security guys run with him but nothing overboard.

Imagine Farage………..🤔 Oh never mind.

He wasn't on the official run tracker and had a couple of guys just behind him, all that was needed really.

Farage would have needed armed guards and a flotilla protecting him along the final stretch. Milkshakes are scary.
 
It’s a (not so) subtle way of the op telling us he can run it faster.

Only in my memories.
 

Dorset Boy

Über Member
I bet Fagash can down a yard of ale faster than any of the other political leaders though.

Burnham doing the GNR does offer quite a contrast to Starmer blagging free tickets to the emirates to watch boring boring Arsenal play though.
 

PurplePenguin

Über Member
I bet Fagash can down a yard of ale faster than any of the other political leaders though.

Burnham doing the GNR does offer quite a contrast to Starmer blagging free tickets to the emirates to watch boring boring Arsenal play though.

Starmer was a season ticket holder and had been for years. He was asked by Arsenal to sit somewhere else for security reasons. A long way from blagging a ticket.
 

Psamathe

Squire
yeah I know, there's probably the basics of a plan there, though. Better than what we have now.
Maybe the question is what they need all this money for? Do they need it to help the electorate? or for their own interests.

I would be very worried about tax payer funds being passed to political parties for the purposes they currently use it for.

I might accept Councils printing and distributing a booklet prior to each election where each candidate gets 1 A4 page to state why we should vote for them. Maybe BBC provide a studio for 1 hr to record Party Political Statement for broadcast for all parties standing in more than eg 10 constituencies.

Beyond that, only personal donations less than £100 per year from those on the electoral register and resident in the UK at the time of the donation.
 
Top Bottom