But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
Remember she looked at the name badge. Maybe if she'd been called Angela Smith the conversation might have gone differently. To my mind, a black person with an African sounding name is likely to either be an immigrant or have parents or grandparents who were.

Her heritage is the reason she was there, to represent 'African and Caribbean heritage women'. And while she acknowledges her heritage, her descent and where she's 'from' as three distinct parts of her identity, that distinction may be lost on some, perhaps especially on those who observe their own ancestry through the other end of the colonial telescope.

Exactly. Now, since I made my first post, more info has come out, including various photos such as this of Ngozi with 2 colleagues (I think?)
1670231353590.png

Now, if you're a Royal aide charged with general "party hosting" duties, which of these three are you most likely to ask "Where are you from?" Would it be the black woman on the right? If not, is that because of racism?
And which of these three are you most likely to move their hair to read a name badge?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

mudsticks

Squire
Exactly. Now, since I made my first post, more info has come out, including various photos such as this of Ngozi with 2 colleagues (I think?)
View attachment 2605
Now, if you're a Royal aide charged with general "party hosting" duties, which of these three are you most likely to ask "Where are you from?" Would it be the black woman on the right? If not, is that because of racism?
And which of these three are you most likely to move their hair to read a name badge?
For the avoidance of doubt, when attending social gatherings, and meeting people for the first time.

Don't move anyone's hair, without their permission .

All other considerations aside, It's really fkking annoying, that you might think that you're entitled to do that .

icowden

Legendary Member
I'm not saying that Marlene doth protest too much, but quite a lot of people are:
Of course. This sort of whataboutery is endemic on Twitter. However, regardless of how dodgy or not sistah space might be, or whether she has changed her name or likes to dress in West African dress, it doesn't make it any more correct to relentlessly ask someone "where they are from".

But then again maybe we should just admit that...

View: https://youtu.be/RovF1zsDoeM

Ian H

Guru
For the avoidance of doubt, when attending social gatherings, and meeting people for the first time.

All other considerations aside, It's really fkking annoying, that you might think that you're entitled to do that .

And, having had answer to your question as to 'where they're from', don't try to brow-beat them into a different answer, then, when you fail at that, barrel on regardless asking where 'your people' are from.

Your people is a good othering phrase with its implication of not one of us or not quite belonging.

matticus

Guru

Thanks; but I wouldn't do that. (pretty sure I've seen similar done woman-on-woman mind ... )

And it's still not racist. Insensitive, sure. But that doesn't automatically become racist just because it's done to a black woman.

mudsticks

Squire
And, having had answer to your question as to 'where they're from', don't try to brow-beat them into a different answer, then, when you fail at that, barrel on regardless asking where 'your people' are from.

Your people is a good othering phrase with its implication of not one of us or not quite belonging.
Well yes, you'd think that would be taken as read, I'm sure even the people protesting that it wasn't at all racist know that really too.

But for some reason they'll carry on asserting that it's all just a bunch of 'woke' nonsense..

bobzmyunkle

Now, if you're a Royal aide charged with general "party hosting" duties, which of these three are you most likely to ask "Where are you from?"
And if it had stopped there we wouldn't be having this debate, the BBC correspondents would have had a less animated few days, and Harry would have got a bit publicity for his Netflix outing or whatever it is he's doing now.
Anyhow you seem quite determined to defend your view that nothing racist occurred so I'll butt out of this conversation.

mudsticks

Squire
Thanks; but I wouldn't do that. (pretty sure I've seen similar done woman-on-woman mind ... )

And it's still not racist. Insensitive, sure. But that doesn't automatically become racist just because it's done to a black woman.
You're arguing against something I never said.

I was merely responding to your picture and asking which of these people is most likely to get their hair moved.

With its implication that she should accept/ expect such things be done to her.

I didn't actually say it was implicitly racist, it was just plain rude, on top of the racist dialogue.

Although black people, particularly women often do get their hair handled, against their wishes, so it's not difficult to see why it might cause particular annoyance.

It's all symptomatic of how the older priveleged white woman felt she was entitled to act towards, and speak to ms Fulani.

Fwiw I think the burden of responsibility for this whole debacle, mainly lies with the palace administration.
They should see to it that people tasked with welcoming guests to events are up to a basic level of competence.

Turns out that Lady Hussey wasn't / isn't.
I expect she feels pretty embarrassed now.

How she got through all these years of 'service' with such outdated attitudes and ways of behaving intact is anyone's guess...
Most distasteful about Ngozi's fiendish conspiracy to divide us as a nation is the way it gives succour to Putin and betrays our Ukrainian friends.
Maybe this sort of thing is acceptable where she comes from.

And don't forget her behaviour also means that even more of our vets have to sleep on the streets 🙄

Top Bottom