But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Good on you! However, certain facts are now spreading their way around t'internet, and quite a lot of people are making conclusions about events that may or may not be correct. Now IM NOT SAYING that black people SHOULD have to be prepared for this sort of rudeness (and they certainly shouldn't need to be wired up). I'm not saying that Marlene doth protest too much, but quite a lot of people are:

Why do you think it's OK to call her Marlene long after she changed her name by deed poll?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Why do you think it's OK to call her Marlene long after she changed her name by deed poll?

Possibly because this sort of debate always gets polarised around the supposed characteristics, virtues and faults of individuals rather than the issues raised. It's simpler that way.

mudsticks

Squire
Good on you! However, certain facts are now spreading their way around t'internet, and quite a lot of people are making conclusions about events that may or may not be correct. Now IM NOT SAYING that black people SHOULD have to be prepared for this sort of rudeness (and they certainly shouldn't need to be wired up). I'm not saying that Marlene doth protest too much, but quite a lot of people are:

View: https://twitter.com/SheilaStenhouse/status/1598949751533117440?t=t1PpsBs_xr8_yMHXOM6wvg&s=19

View attachment 2602

I've been known to be a bit late filing my returns in the past.

No one else here will ever have committed such a heinous crime I'm sure, but there you go - I've said it now..
And just when you were all thinking I was too much of a 'Goody Two Shoes' to be true.. 🙄

The organisation I volunteer for / am a director of had a massive uplift in grant funding a couple of years back - can't quite remember exactly how many hundreds percentagewise but it was pretty startling.

To the best of my knowledge that came about because one of our number is good at funding bids, and as an organisation we're considered by grant funders to be doing valuable work..

And yes, don't look now, but expenses are incurred when an organisation does stuff..

I may (or may not) have changed my name any number of times, for any number of personal reasons, over the last few years.

>>>

However none of the above 'reprehensible' behaviour would likely have come to light if I had gone to the palace to represent my organisation for some reason.

And why not I hear you enquire.??

Because Lady Wotsherchops wouldn't have dreamt of questioning me nearly so persistently and obstreperously as to my 'true origin' .

Because it wouldn't have occurred to her to do that, no such exchange would have been witnessed, and I wouldn't have had anything to get upset, about.

And why would this awkward exchange never have occurred.??

Mainly (or quite possibly entirely) because I happen to have considerably less melanin naturally occurring in my epidermis than ms Fulani does...

Tl: dr it's still racism.

matticus

Guru
It looks like some folks have decided to play the woman rather than the ball and from your previous posts I have to assume that's also your motive.

<snort> there's been plenty of playing the woman/court-official rather than the ball. Wouldn't you say?
Give it but can't take it, perhaps?

Ian H

Guru
<snort> there's been plenty of playing the woman/court-official rather than the ball. Wouldn't you say?
Erm... It was she who made the offensive remarks, so of course she's going to be mentioned. She is the ball.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
As ever, life is more nuanced than you choose to assert.

Is that nuance that when a court official repeatedly says something that someone of colour finds offensive it's racist, but when you use a term, knowing that it offends a large section of the ethnic minority community because we had the conversation a few weeks ago it's not?

Ian H

Guru
Is that nuance that when a court official repeatedly says something that someone of colour finds offensive it's racist, but when you use a term, knowing that it offends a large section of the ethnic minority community because we had the conversation a few weeks ago it's not?

'We had the conversation'? Who's 'we' who can pronounce so expertly?

BAME is acceptable in certain contexts and not in others.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

I've just looked back at that thread, including your contribution, and nowhere in that discussion was it said that BAME was offensive or racist. It was said to be outdated and not appropriate as a descriptor in many cases, but that is not the same thing at all.

As usual you build a spurious strawman argument around something you claim to have been said but that was patently not. No change there then.

mudsticks

Squire

Ms Fulani didn't call for Lady Husseys resignation, in fact she said she wasn't happy about that.

She just reported what had been said to her and why she found it offensive and distressing.

Lady Hussey has admitted she was in the wrong, and that she would like to apologise in person, if that's ok.

So where's the 'give it but can't take it' part?

Apart from that confected by the culture warriors who use such terms as 'race baiting' .

matticus

Guru
It looks like some folks have decided to play the woman rather than the ball and from your previous posts I have to assume that's also your motive.
O.k she didn't go to the palace as a wide eyed innocent, do we therefore assume that no racism occurred?

Go back to my first post on this topic: I made a judgement based purely on the transcript of the conversation that was circulated online.
I have consistently argued for that view by discussing what "Lady" said. The posts are there, read them.

After about 8 pages, I thought it was interesting to post what the "people" are saying about Ngozi, just to show how well (or not) the shouts of "RACISM!!!" are going down in the wider world...

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Go back to my first post on this topic: I made a judgement based purely on the transcript of the conversation that was circulated online.
I have consistently argued for that view by discussing what "Lady" said. The posts are there, read them.

After about 8 pages, I thought it was interesting to post what the "people" are saying about Ngozi, just to show how well (or not) the shouts of "RACISM!!!" are going down in the wider world...

Talking About Racism Not Popular With Racists Shock.

Top Bottom