But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

But why on earth would you do that ??

When you've been telling us all along that
re phrasing is just ridiculous, and unecessary.

Show some consistency, at least :wacko:

Because being a professional means you get paid and obviously you poor offendees aren't.

D

Deleted member 28

No - people who spout racist bile are offensive. I'm not offended 'on behalf of someone', I find it, and possibly the person uttering it, offensive.

Is using the term 'person of colour' or 'BAME' on your list of 'racist bile' , that's my whole point of this, not calling someone a 'packi' or 'nigger'.

Are you personally offended by those terms considering they appear to be out of favour now?

I know you're quite hurt by the term half caste, I think it was you anyway so could be wrong.

mudsticks

Squire
Because being a professional means you get paid and obviously you poor offendees aren't.

So you're saying that when new information comes to light you change the words you use accordingly ..

Well done, some progress made 👍🏼

Ian H

Guru
Is using the term 'person of colour' or 'BAME' on your list of 'racist bile' , that's my whole point of this, not calling someone a 'packi' or 'nigger'.

Are you personally offended by those terms considering they appear to be out of favour now?

I know you're quite hurt by the term half caste, I think it was you anyway so could be wrong.
Context is everything. If you're trying to be offensive I expect you'll succeed. In that sense the actual words matter less than your intentions in using them.
As for 'half-caste', I'm not of (visibly) mixed heritage, so the phrase doesn't hurt me personally*. I wouldn't use it, even if a friend used it about themselves. People will sometimes use negative epithets about themselves as a kind of shield to deflect prejudice and gain acceptance. It doesn't mean that they're entirely okay with it.

*which is different from perhaps finding the person using it offensive.

D

Deleted member 28

So you're saying that when new information comes to light you change the words you use accordingly ..

Well done, some progress made 👍🏼

Not new information as I was already pretty sure none of you on here actually got paid for being offended but in my opinion it's a good phrase to describe people, although not entirely accurate I'll grant you, so all I'm doing in this case is appeasing the pedant in you.

Perhaps a better phrase would be 'the habitually offended on behalf of others brigade', a bit of a mouthful but I might roll with it if the necessity arises.

mudsticks

Squire
Not new information as I was already pretty sure none of you on here actually got paid for being offended but in my opinion it's a good phrase to describe people, although not entirely accurate I'll grant you, so all I'm doing in this case is appeasing the pedant in you.

Perhaps a better phrase would be 'the habitually offended on behalf of others brigade', a bit of a mouthful but I might roll with it if the necessity arises.

It's a pretty poor phrase to describe people if it's not accurate imo.

Just as your substitute phrase isn't much good as that's not accurate either.

D

Deleted member 28

It's a pretty poor phrase to describe people if it's not accurate imo.

Just as your substitute phrase isn't much good as that's not accurate either.

How do you know there aren't people going around being offended on behalf of others that don't feel offended themselves?

Ian H

Guru

You're still pushing this 'on behalf of others' trope. It's complete bollocks. I'll repeat myself (with apologies):- [it's]One of those made-up terms to deflect criticism. No - people who spout racist bile are offensive. I'm not offended 'on behalf of someone', I find it, and possibly the person uttering it, offensive.

Ian H

Guru
And context includes whether it's a person you expect to be racist.

AmIright?
Make your own arguments and stop trying to put words in my mouth. You do give the impression of having been well-insulated from such stuff. I've seen the hurt caused to good friends subjected to racist behaviour, so I'm not likely to be terribly sympathetic to an apologist.

D

Deleted member 28

You're still pushing this 'on behalf of others' trope. It's complete bollocks. I'll repeat myself (with apologies):- [it's]One of those made-up terms to deflect criticism. No - people who spout racist bile are offensive. I'm not offended 'on behalf of someone', I find it, and possibly the person uttering it, offensive.

So are you offended by people using BAME or 'person of colour' because it's apparently out of favour?

If so I would find it incredible that you could be genuinely upset by hearing someone use either of these terms, hence my description of such people.

I've had to repeat myself now because you don't seem to be able to answer a simple question.

mudsticks

Squire
How do you know there aren't people going around being offended on behalf of others that don't feel offended themselves?

Equally well, how do you know there are ??

Personally I'm happy to be careful with my use of language in cases where people are experiencing or have experienced discrimination in the past, and I've caught onto new terminology or thinking

For instance I and many other women have been subject to horrible discriminatory language and attitudes used against us to slur and diminish.

You have a daughter and a wife , but I've seen you use terms on here that I doubt you'd use in front of them.

If you do, then I genuinely feel sorry they have to hang out with such a thoughtless fellow.

Anyway, i know what that feels like, so it's not a great leap of imagination to understand how it feels to have racist language used against one.

Or any other discriminatory action or words used against other marginalised groups

Genuine mistakes are forgiveable.

Persistent offending, once a problem with a word is explained and notified is by definition deliberately offensive.

Certain people, or identity groups may reclaim words , such as the N word , or women using the word slut, or even your friend using half-caste..
Just because those people use them doesn't mean you should feel free to. .

Ian H

Guru
So are you offended by people using BAME or 'person of colour' because it's apparently out of favour?

If so I would find it incredible that you could be genuinely upset by hearing someone use either of these terms, hence my description of such people.

I've had to repeat myself now because you don't seem to be able to answer a simple question.
I answered above:- 'Context is everything. If you're trying to be offensive I expect you'll succeed. In that sense the actual words matter less than your intentions in using them'.

Top Bottom