But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
I think Shep would have already offered you outside for having a different opinion.

You mean so we could go outside, gaze at the stars, and realise that really, we are all one and the same humanity existing together however haphazardly, on this tiny ball of blue and green in an indifferent universe.
And that the best response to that is to build understanding, awareness, and acceptance, so as not to end up being total arrisses to each other ...

Or something like that?? 😇💚💙

Mugshot

Über Member
You mean so we could go outside, gaze at the stars, and realise that really, we are all one and the same humanity existing together however haphazardly, on this tiny ball of blue and green in an indifferent universe.
And that the best response to that is to build understanding, awareness, and acceptance, so as not to end up being total arrisses to each other ...

Or something like that?? 😇💚💙

Exactly that, and who could refuse such an offer 😊

OP
OP
Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
To render this in English take the ~ess ending to make words feminine as in steward, stewardess. What you now get constantly are expressions like the vieweresses and viewers of the match, the memberesses and members of the panel etc. Also putting asterisks in the midde of words to support transgenderism. The words viewer and member cover everybody, so this fake grammar is redundant.

Never heard memberess, or vieweress. Manageress used to be commonplace but they're now Managers. New guidance seems to be that less senior Judges are just Judge.

Like one of our other correspondents I find batter in cricket slightly grating but I don't follow the sport except via it being in news bulletins.

Female thespians are now, at least in most publications I see, Actors.

We've also, for the most part, got with gender neutral 'Chair' for those heading up boards, Councils and Committees.

mudsticks

Squire
I think he might be referring to German usage.

I suspect so too.

I get a slightly different story from my female, feminist, transrights supporting colleague who is German.

But yes the language there is morphing to accommodate new ways of thinking

Whodda thunkit.??

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I think he might be referring to German usage.

Ah - shoulda thought of that. But anyway, assuming it isn't some nonsense Unkraut picked up from spending too much time reading weirdos on the internet, sounds like just an outcome, hardly new, of the entry of women (or more women) into more areas of life, in combination with a language which is heavily gender-marked. As always, the language debate is about something else - in this case Unkers having the usual panic about women doing stuff that men do, or women and men doing stuff that he imagines is eroding the fabric of society. This is old-fashioned patriarchal backlash stuff and hardly the cutting edge of feminist language debate.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I suppose quoting oneself, especially across threads, is bad form, but after a bit of a catch-up on this thread I see Matt has gone nuclear in ignoring my earlier caution.

If you insist on taking every discussion about language as a personal criticism based on the way you might once have used a word, you're bound to spend the rest of eternity in a massive huff.

Top Bottom