But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Oh I wouldn't know .
Not being in the least bit devilish myself

I do have tremendous amounts of fun though.

Even whilst pursuing what some migh call 'virtuous' ends..😎

Well there's a lot of ifs and buts to unpick in there of course.
And defining 'dignity' too.

But do we always take democratic consensus as the ultimate arbiter of law??

I haven't looked lately but the stats regarding reinstating the death penalty in this country used to be in favour of such..

But we don't, because we choose to hold our society to higher standards.

Just as 'freedom of speech' comes with the qualifier that we also take responsibility for the consequences of our words.

Who?, unless, that is, it is the "Royal we".

mudsticks

Squire
Who?, unless, that is, it is the "Royal we".
The first two 'we' is are society / law makers etc in general.

The third is a general statement about 'freeze peach' that we should all observe .

And which is enshrined in our laws .

Well quite often, I suspect you "like" a few yourself, but, I don't bother to count other people's "likes", "laughs" etc etc
I don't count them..
I notice them, thats the point of them right??

Otherwise why would you do it??

If you don't want them noticed, don't put them up, they are there as signifiers..

And do spare us the bs of saying that you just do it to 'encourage' other opinions.
I'm sure those folks can manage quite well without this sort- of- endorsement- but-not really-that, if questioned.

Own it, you either endorse those opinions, or you don't.. Don't try to fudge it.

If I like a post, or I find it funny that's because I do.
I'm happy to stand by it.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

I don't count them..
I notice them, thats the point of them right??

Otherwise why would you do it??

If you don't want them noticed, don't put them up, they are there as signifiers..

And do spare us the bs of saying that you just do it to 'encourage' other opinions.
I'm sure those folks can manage quite well without this sort- of- endorsement- but-not really-that if questioned.

Own it, you either endorse those opinions, or you don't.. Don't try to fudge it.

If I like a post, or I find it funny that's because I do.
I'm happy to stand by it.

It may have escaped your attention, but, it wasn't me who raised the subject my my "laughs".

As for the bolded bit, I thought, that is what I said?

No answer to the "we" in the post you quoted in your reply?

mudsticks

Squire
It may have escaped your attention, but, it wasn't me who raised the subject my my "laughs".

As for the bolded bit, I thought, that is what I said?

No you didn't raise that subject, I never said you did, it hasn't 'escaped my attention' at all.

I raised the subject, in relation to your endorsing of certain posts.

After you yourself had stated that some posts on here could be construed as hate speech.

Then later, you asked me who was the 'we' I was referring to my posts.

I answered your question and told you who I was meaning by 'we'

But do we always take democratic consensus as the ultimate arbiter of law??

Is there anything better? There are certainly universal values but surely they were arrived at by concensus, not imposed. Electing people to vote on issues is an extension of democratic consensus, though necessarily an imperfect one.

mudsticks

Squire
Is there anything better? There are certainly universal values but surely they were arrived at by concensus, not imposed. Electing people to vote on issues is an extension of democratic consensus, though necessarily an imperfect one.

I'm not sure it is all arrived at by consensus no..

If it were then a lot of social progress wouldn't have been made..

When the death penalty was abolished, women finally had the vote, slavery was abolished and so on this change was brought about to a greater or lesser degree by a relatively few people who for one reason or another believed enough in these issues to fight for them .

Some of them were then accepted with a resigned shrug by the general population, but certainly not necessarily by majority consensus.

BoldonLad

No you didn't raise that subject, I never said you did, it hasn't 'escaped my attention' at all.

I raised the subject, in relation to your endorsing of certain posts.

After you yourself had stated that some posts on here could be construed as hate speech.

Then later, you asked me who was the 'we' I was referring to my posts.

I answered your question and told you who I was meaning by 'we'

Interesting.

Quoting a post which itself has two quoted posts in it, does not appear to pick up the part of the post between the two quoted posts.

Haven't noticed that before.

Must be an error in the software.... unless the poster edited the original post, after it was replied to, and, then.... no, that couldn't be ;)

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
Interesting.

Quoting a post which itself has two quoted posts in it, does not appear to pick up the part of the post between the two quoted posts.

Haven't noticed that before.

Must be an error in the software.... unless the poster edited the original post, after it was replied to, and, then.... no, that couldn't be ;)

No idea what you're talking about.

Try saying it straight instead of all this implied nudge nudge winkiness .

It gets pretty tiresome pretty quickly.

Fyi I haven't edited any of your posts if that's what you mean.

mudsticks

Squire
That seems fair enough really.
Yup probs.

Lady Hussey most likely shouldn't have been placed in that role of 'welcoming' if she was so incapable of it.

But then I can also imagine a conversation going along the lines of.

"Ok Lady Hussey we're offering some training / updating in how we interact with our guests , so as we ensure they all feel comfortable and welcome here"

Eliciting an abrupt..

"Stuff and nonsense, I don't need to be told how to talk to people, I've been doing it all my life"

Top Bottom