But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

Shall we settle for 'twisty-knickered' in your case and Matt's?

So once again a difference of opinion from a minority is perceived as some sort of upset or offence or twisted knickery yet in reality it's simply thinking differently to the majority on here.

Can you explain why it's me (and Matt apparently) are the people getting 'upset' opposed to you for example?

You, along with others on here have opinions on things that differ to mine so what makes me 'upset' about yours rather than you being 'upset' about mine, or is it just a feeble attempt on your behalf to ridicule?

As I see it very few on here are affected by this matter so what need is there for anyone to be offended or upset or get their knickers twisted, who really gives a sh*t whether Mr and Mrs Singh up the road prefer to be called Indians, Asians, BAME's or anything else for that matter it's just a discussion and I like to present an alternative viewpoint.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Can you explain why it's me (and Matt apparently) are the people getting 'upset' opposed to you for example?

Yes. I enjoy discussions about language and meaning (it's kinda my thing - I could do it all day), whereas you appear to be completely bewildered by them. I have theories about the sources of such bewilderment in both cases, but seeing as you are obviously struggling with the basics, I'm not sure you are ready for them.

bobzmyunkle

As I see it very few on here are affected by this matter so what need is there for anyone to be offended or upset or get their knickers twisted, who really gives a sh*t whether Mr and Mrs Singh up the road prefer to be called Indians, Asians, BAME's or anything else for that matter it's just a discussion and I like to present an alternative viewpoint.
I call Mr Singh up the road Brian - it's his name. It never occurred to me to refer to him as Indian, Asian or BAME.

mudsticks

Squire
Yes. I enjoy discussions about language and meaning (it's kinda my thing - I could do it all day), whereas you appear to be completely bewildered by them. I have theories about the sources of such bewilderment in both cases, but seeing as you are obviously struggling with the basics, I'm not sure you are ready for them.

I think this was my downfall too.

I thought i was splaining proper

"Peter n Jane (😬) do the basics of inclusive language" Stylee

But clearly it was all just way too fast, and way too furious for the recipients..

Either that or they're just playing
"Resistance to change, through affected dumbness"

It's not exactly an original take, but it's a wearyingly often enough adopted one

Anyhoo up - look it's a beautiful day.

Probs similar on your bit on the coast right now. ??

PXL_20221216_103203751.jpg

I suspect so too.

I get a slightly different story from my female, feminist, transrights supporting colleague who is German.

But yes the language there is morphing to accommodate new ways of thinking

Whodda thunkit.??

What about the Frenchies and their randomly gendered nouns?

mudsticks

Squire
What about the Frenchies and their randomly gendered nouns?

Germanites (!) and many others have same issue.

Have to say I think it would be fun to be on the committee or whatever that decides the gender of inanimate objects..

Mmmn just what gender is this wooden board with four supporting sticks at each corner, from which we commonly take our meals..??🤔

Female !!
Definitely female, it's obvious!!

If anyone particularly wants to make the connection between tables 'getting laid' and their perceived gender .

Open goal is right here >>>> [ _______ ]

icowden

Legendary Member
Who says half caste is offensive, mixed race people?
Anyone with education?

To be "Caste" is to be pure (Latin). It derives from Hinduism where the hereditary classes of Hindu society were said to have different degrees of ritual purity. So if a white person calls someone of mixed race "half caste" they are saying that that person is only half-pure. They are second class citizens. Their white part is the "good" part and the other ethnicity the "bad" part.

The terms half-caste, quarter-caste and mixed-breed where used by colonial officials during the British Empire to identify who had rights and who did not. They are not widely seen as positive or neutral terms.

mudsticks

Squire
Following on the German theme , I'm not sure where I picked up this snippet.

German Parliament, or a court case reported,
could it even have been from here ??

Anyhoo I think it bears repeating.

"In our Constitution our number one priority is maintaining human dignity, and so hate speech is not part of the German concept of 'free speech' "

Mugshot

Über Member
So once again a difference of opinion from a minority is perceived as some sort of upset or offence or twisted knickery yet in reality it's simply thinking differently to the majority on here.
I have a feeling it's you thats accusing anyone with a different opinion to you of taking offence and getting upset, while labouring under the impression they're the voice of reason fighting for everyman, add in liberal sprinklings of nonsense slurs like woke, virtue signalling and identity politics and hey presto, an MO!

mudsticks

Squire
I have a feeling it's you thats accusing anyone with a different opinion to you of taking offence and getting upset, while labouring under the impression they're the voice of reason fighting for everyman, add in liberal sprinklings of nonsense slurs like woke, virtue signalling and identity politics and hey presto, an MO!

I quite often wonder if our self appointed spokesperson for 'stands to reason' and 'its all a load of made up nonsense' imagines that we don't come across people with opinions and 'thoughts' like his every day, of every week.

Or if he thinks we don't routinely hear people spout off about 'wokery' 'pc gawn mad' 'virtue signalling' 'lefty liberals' or whatever.

These opinions are to be found in pretty much every populist newspaper, in pubs across the land, shops, workplaces, extended families, and of course loads of it online.

It's kind of sweet (in a way).that he thinks he has to come here specially to deliver these 'alternative views' as if we didn't realise such things existed all over anyway.

Top Bottom