But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

I have a feeling it's you thats accusing anyone with a different opinion to you of taking offence and getting upset, while labouring under the impression they're the voice of reason fighting for everyman, add in liberal sprinklings of nonsense slurs like woke, virtue signalling and identity politics and hey presto, an MO!

I don't think it's me that suggests people on here have their knickers twisted or are offended or upset or use the term 'Gammon' to describe people do you?

D

Deleted member 28

I quite often wonder if our self appointed spokesperson for 'stands to reason' and 'its all a load of made up nonsense' imagines that we don't come across people with opinions and 'thoughts' like his every day, of every week.

Or if he thinks we don't routinely hear people spout off about 'wokery' 'pc gawn mad' 'virtue signalling' 'lefty liberals' or whatever.

These opinions are to be found in pretty much every populist newspaper, in pubs across the land, shops, workplaces, extended families, and of course loads of it online.

It's kind of sweet (in a way).that he thinks he has to come here specially to deliver these 'alternative views' as if we didn't realise such things existed all over anyway.

It's not me thinking it's 'sweet' at all it's ensuring you poor people don't think you have a monopoly on what others think on this forum.

mudsticks

Squire
It's not me thinking it's 'sweet' at all it's ensuring you poor people don't think you have a monopoly on what others think on this forum.

You're right, it's not you, it's me that thinks it 'sweet' that you bother to come and relate to us, what is already common knowledge.

No one here thinks they have a monopoly on 'what people think'..
That's completely illogical, and would be impossible.

What I mean is that you have often professed a complete lack of interest in discussing politics, so the fact that come here to remind us of the populist view is 'interesting'

Last edited:

Mugshot

Über Member
I don't think it's me that suggests people on here have their knickers twisted or are offended or upset or use the term 'Gammon' to describe people do you?
Are you saying you haven't used offended* towards people that are suggesting use of language is worth considering sometimes?

* It's 21 times BTW.

D

Deleted member 28

Are you saying you haven't used offended* towards people that are suggesting use of language is worth considering sometimes?

* It's 21 times BTW.

What?

I see now, 'used' the word offended not 'accused people of being offended, have you missed the point?

Last edited by a moderator:

mudsticks

Squire
It's a burden, isn't it, but I've learned to live with over the years.

I learnt to discard it..

It gets in the way of so much fun, and the getting of things done .

D

Deleted member 28

I see, do I really have to dig out all the posts where people accuse me of being 'offended' or 'upset' because I disagree with them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Following on the German theme , I'm not sure where I picked up this snippet.

German Parliament, or a court case reported,
could it even have been from here ??

Anyhoo I think it bears repeating.

"In our Constitution our number one priority is maintaining human dignity, and so hate speech is not part of the German concept of 'free speech' "

It depends who gets to define what hate speech is though, I suppose. There are lots of things said that are offensive, or even hateful, but if they are within the law* I'd defend people's right to say them. Preserving my dignity shouldn't come at the expense of other people's free speech.

(* as long as that law was arrived at by democratic consensus, obviously)

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It depends who gets to define what hate speech is though, I suppose. There are lots of things said that are offensive, or even hateful, but if they are within the law I'd defend people's right to say them. Preserving my dignity shouldn't come at the expense of other people's free speech.

Quite. There are things said on here (ie this forum), which, could be construed as hateful, depending on your point of view

mudsticks

Squire
Is that along the lines of the Devil has the most fun?

Oh I wouldn't know .
Not being in the least bit devilish myself

I do have tremendous amounts of fun though.

Even whilst pursuing what some migh call 'virtuous' ends..😎

It depends who gets to define what hate speech is though, I suppose. There are lots of things said that are offensive, or even hateful, but if they are within the law* I'd defend people's right to say them. Preserving my dignity shouldn't come at the expense of other people's free speech.

(* as long as that law was arrived at by democratic consensus, obviously)

Well there's a lot of ifs and buts to unpick in there of course.
And defining 'dignity' too.

But do we always take democratic consensus as the ultimate arbiter of law??

I haven't looked lately but the stats regarding reinstating the death penalty in this country used to be in favour of such..

But we don't, because we choose to hold our society to higher standards.

Just as 'freedom of speech' comes with the qualifier that we also take responsibility for the consequences of our words.

Top Bottom