Cardiff electric bike incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
With the riots in Cardiff last night it seems many sections of society won’t take very much to push them over the edge.

Sadly two young lads are dead. Seemingly lost control and crashed.

Facts are limited but the police deny being involved in a chase at the time of the incident, whilst CCTV shows otherwise a few minutes earlier. It’s very possible that the pursuit was brief and called off prior to the crash. They have not yet referred themselves to the IPCC.

But this was two 15 year olds on an illegal electric bike. Presumably riding on public roads at high speed. I can’t blame the police for trying to stop them. After all that is their job.

Milzy

I fully support the met. They tried to keep it on the cautious side but they still got themselves killed. Kids own fault 100%.

C R

Über Member
I have seen quite a few near misses of reckless teenagers riding electric scooters and modified electric bikes. It really is luck that there aren't more deaths of these idiots given how they ride.

ebikeerwidnes

I was reading about this this afternoon

Apparently he was a lovely boy who loved football and motorikes and was often riding his ebike - they are totally and have pedals and everything and look just like a normal bike - and wasn;t wearing a balaclava and all that

except that - they his Mum was also saying that he was always on that bike - no-one knows whose it is (WHAT???) but he loves it
and the CCTV shows someone riding past at speed on what is clearly an illegal electric bike with his feet training backwards - hence not pedalling - and wearing a balaclava

However, he was also being followed - also at speed by a Police van - for at least the few seconds that they were in sight of the CCTV camera

clearly a lot of mis-information from both sides

doesn;t take away from the grief that the parents and relative must feel

multitool

Shaman
I think we need to be in full receipt of the facts before forming any judgement. In particular the nature of the crash, because it is extraordinary that both should be killed outright.

D

Deleted member 49

I think we need to be in full receipt of the facts before forming any judgement. In particular the nature of the crash, because it is extraordinary that both should be killed outright.
Seems to me from what I've read that the police first denied chasing the boys and then admitted they were....otherwise known as lying.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...as-pursuing-teenagers-in-cardiff-force-admits

multitool

Shaman
Seems to me from what I've read that the police first denied chasing the boys and then admitted they were....otherwise known as lying.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...as-pursuing-teenagers-in-cardiff-force-admits

Seems to me like a night of utter chaos, and a pretty large emergency. There is a possibility of cock up rather than conspiracy, with people going on and off shift, a huge public order event overtaking the initial event, emergency rosters of police to tackle the riot etc. We don't know yet.

Again, though, it seems remarkable that these kids should both die in a bicycle crash. Clearly they were scallies but the outcome is horrendous.

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I have seen quite a few near misses of reckless teenagers riding electric scooters and modified electric bikes. It really is luck that there aren't more deaths of these idiots given how they ride.

I'm amazed there aren't many, many more. I regularly see food couriers going through red lights at speed on electric bikes and kids speeding along pavements on electric scooters without helmets. When you're coming out of a junction and see a bike in the far distance with someone pedalling at normal bike speed, it's disconcerting to pull out and find them next to you because it's a modified bike doing 30 mph. Hard for the police to do much until there's an incident though.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
We need to see more evidence.
They claim they were not in a pursuit at the time of the accident
What the evidence appears to show is that 10 minutes before the crash the police were in visual contact with the illegally ridden bike.

Watching BBC News, the word "following" was used, then, in next sentence "chasing"

Above we have two new variations.

In the video shown, there appeared to be a significant time gap between the e-bike and the Police van. Without knowing the speed of the vehicles in question, it is hard to estimate the distance in metres (or yards, for the the brexiteers) .

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom