Cardiff electric bike incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

I’ve seen similar locally to me , had to do a double take . The guy did have a helmet on mind ! However still illegal I’m guessing , even if holding a Mc licence. Insurance/tax etc . let’s just say he was riding it like I stole it !

Its not possible to insure these for use on the road as they are not lawful to use on the road

MrGrumpy

Regular
Its not possible to insure these for use on the road as they are not lawful to use on the road

:okay: hence if you see anyone on one , they are normally riding it like they stole it !

That's certainly my understanding too. To be lawfully on the road I guess they'd need some sort of type approval followed by registration. Given these things are electrically powered variants on road or trials motorcycles then I'd have thought devising a type approval scheme should br a priority.

Have any of the mainstream m/c companies built electric bikes which are type approved in other Western countries?

The only issue I am concerned with is why the police lied in the first place about persuing, they should't have to.

illegal bike, probably nicked, mum doesn't know who's it is, lads with scabby tracksuits bought a 4k bike did they? If you choose to mess about on illegal and high performance vehicles with no protection then these things will happen. This is exactly why they are illegal for road use in the first place.
And the rest of the street smashing the place up and throwing missiles at Police because "Justiz", yeah well done. Says a lot about the local "community"

spen666

The only issue I am concerned with is why the police lied in the first place about persuing, they should't have to.

Seems like you have already determined the police LIED

You do not know what the information was that the person making the statement had at that time
Was there even a chase? The CCTV shows a bike then a police van in a different street some time before the crash

It is too early to determine if it was a lie or not.

Getting something wrong does not mean someone has lied

Seems like you have already determined the police LIED

You do not know what the information was that the person making the statement had at that time
Was there even a chase? The CCTV shows a bike then a police van in a different street some time before the crash

It is too early to determine if it was a lie or not.

Getting something wrong does not mean someone has lied

You are of course right. It may well have been a mistake where information only came together after the 'riot' when people could be properly debriefed. We don't know what happened except that, after the Commissioner said there was no chase film comes to light showing a Police vehicle clearly following what is apparently the bike with the boys on it. If no pursuit was requested and they were only following it hoping to find a chance to pull the riders then I guess in literal terms no chase.

But, but, as you say the Police have previous as long as your arm for saying 'nowt to do with us squire' until anything between hours and years later it's conclusively proven that everything was to do with them.

spen666

You are of course right. It may well have been a mistake where information only came together after the 'riot' when people could be properly debriefed. We don't know what happened except that, after the Commissioner said there was no chase film comes to light showing a Police vehicle clearly following what is apparently the bike with the boys on it. If no pursuit was requested and they were only following it hoping to find a chance to pull the riders then I guess in literal terms no chase.

But, but, as you say the Police have previous as long as your arm for saying 'nowt to do with us squire' until anything between hours and years later it's conclusively proven that everything was to do with them.

I am very concerned that various police forces have form for issuing incorrect information ( which almost always spins the agenda in their favour) before the full picture is realised later.

The other side of this is that each Police Force is a separate legal entity, so whether it is fair to talk about "the police" rather than specific police forces is another matter

It may well be that the Police did "lie", but at this stage it is too early to be able to make such a judgement

MrGrumpy

Regular
following or chasing ? All seems utter bollocks , it’s been twisted to suit a narrative . Two teenagers are dead , I assume the ones on the bike. That’s the tragedy in it.

matticus

Guru
As a driver, I have been followed (in a safe, legal manner) by police vehicles - no flashing lights - several times. (only once led to a stop-n-chat!); I would call none of those incidents a "chase" or "pursuit".

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
As a driver, I have been followed (in a safe, legal manner) by police vehicles - no flashing lights - several times. (only once led to a stop-n-chat!); I would call none of those incidents a "chase" or "pursuit".

It's probably not a massive stretch to assume that a police vehicle which is proceeding at pace immediately behind an illegal, unregistered motorcycle, ridden by two teenagers who are not wearing crash helmets - that vehicle doesn't just happen to be going along the same road.

matticus

Guru
It's probably not a massive stretch to assume that a police vehicle which is proceeding at pace immediately behind an illegal, unregistered motorcycle, ridden by two teenagers who are not wearing crash helmets - that vehicle doesn't just happen to be going along the same road.
What pace?

And it's still an assumption - police do sometimes end up behind dodgy road users, and choose to follow/observe them for a bit. When does that become chase/pursuit?

Top Bottom