Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Legendary Member
Electric vehicles are not the solution - ending car dependency is. The roads are becoming less safe for road users other than those driving out-size cars.

When you see a size small person wearing size 2XL clothes you might wonder why. When you see a wee boy tripping over due to wearing shoes four sizes too big, you might feel sympathy. When you see a man laying in the beach dressed like a funeral director, you might think 'how odd'.

When you see a single person in a business suit driving a huge upmarket off-road vehicle, you see nothing incongruent. These vehicle are not just harmful to those people they hit, they actively discourage people who would choose to be active, to buy huge vehicles too, so that they too can feel safe.

I say downsize the cars, reduce their weight. Without a real sense of danger when driving on the road, then inconsiderate driving results.

Remove the driver's airbags, and replace them with spikes instead - Darwin in action.

icowden

Legendary Member
Electric vehicles are not the solution - ending car dependency is.
Actually that could be a little short sighted. EVs could end car dependency.

This is the purported reason that Tesla are trying to get autonomous cars. It was in one of Musk's mission statements.
The rationale is that if cars can drive themselves, then ownership can reduce. The biggest cost in a taxi is the driver, followed by fuel. Our robot overlords will not need paying. At the moment it costs about £2.80 to get from my house to about 2 miles away on a bus. Imagine if you can open an app on your phone and have a car turn up to take you where you need to go for half that price. Owning a car costs me about £13.50 per day plus fuel (about £1.80 per day). So I need to be able to do my daily journeys for less than that.

monkers

Legendary Member
Actually that could be a little short sighted. EVs could end car dependency.

This is the purported reason that Tesla are trying to get autonomous cars. It was in one of Musk's mission statements.
The rationale is that if cars can drive themselves, then ownership can reduce. The biggest cost in a taxi is the driver, followed by fuel. Our robot overlords will not need paying. At the moment it costs about £2.80 to get from my house to about 2 miles away on a bus. Imagine if you can open an app on your phone and have a car turn up to take you where you need to go for half that price. Owning a car costs me about £13.50 per day plus fuel (about £1.80 per day). So I need to be able to do my daily journeys for less than that.

'Car dependency' is to do with the criticism of having little choice but to use a car because more energy efficient modes of transport are not available or perceived as too dangerous to use.

Musk's mission is to become the world's first trillionaire; forget what you think are fine words from him. Otherwise why does he sell at vast profits other than to enrich himself?

Taxis are not energy efficient, they have the effect of doubling each journey. Base to customer's address, there to customer's destination, return to base, that's inefficient.

You ask me to 'imagine'. Imagine the roads being safe enough for more people to feel safe for them and their children to be cycling. Imagine a reliable public transport system not designed to enrich investors and shareholders. Imagine being able to take a job in a different area where you could rent your house out, and be able to rent a house in another area without tax penalties for doing so.

icowden

Legendary Member
Musk's mission is to become the world's first trillionaire; forget what you think are fine words from him. Otherwise why does he sell at vast profits other than to enrich himself?
To achieve his goals. I think his key goals are to colonise Mars and to revolutionise transport. It's well known that his mission statement for Tesla is ultimately self-defeating.

Taxis are not energy efficient, they have the effect of doubling each journey. Base to customer's address, there to customer's destination, return to base, that's inefficient.
Autonomous EV's don't have to return to base. They have no home.

You ask me to 'imagine'. Imagine the roads being safe enough for more people to feel safe for them and their children to be cycling. Imagine a reliable public transport system not designed to enrich investors and shareholders. Imagine being able to take a job in a different area where you could rent your house out, and be able to rent a house in another area without tax penalties for doing so.
Well yes, but that's not going to happen. The shareholders won't let it :-)

icowden

Legendary Member
Will my jet-pack be delivered by autonomous EV?
Nope - Amazon Drone until they go feral and start killing us all.

Top Bottom