Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Am not bleating!
Am all for it, and am also in favour of taxing aviation fuel. Personally I don't care if all flying is banned!
I feel like this fits here...
https://x.com/SimonBrodkin/status/1737189071598846228?s=20

icowden

Legendary Member
Well if you like. At that time, thanks to Harold Wilson, the "taxman" was taking 95% of earnings under a "supertax".
When the highest bracket of income tax was dropped to 40%, it raised more tax money than the punitive 95% taxation had ever done.
The Beatles were warned that "two of you are close to being bankrupt and the other two could soon be"

One of the nice things about earning lots of money is that you just get a good accountant and move your domicile to Monaco or similar. The highest bracket of tax only ever squeezes money out of the sector of the population who are earning well, but not that well. By lowering the top rate, the multimillionaires, pop stars, etc were less likely to move their earnings off shore to a tax haven.

Ian H

Legendary Member
Well if you like. At that time, thanks to Harold Wilson, the "taxman" was taking 95% of earnings under a "supertax".
When the highest bracket of income tax was dropped to 40%, it raised more tax money than the punitive 95% taxation had ever done.
The Beatles were warned that "two of you are close to being bankrupt and the other two could soon be"

One of the nice things about earning lots of money is that you just get a good accountant and move your domicile to Monaco or similar. The highest bracket of tax only ever squeezes money out of the sector of the population who are earning well, but not that well. By lowering the top rate, the multimillionaires, pop stars, etc were less likely to move their earnings off shore to a tax haven.

Or you could remove the option of non-dom status and make all UK citizens' income, wherever it's earned, taxable in the UK (USA does that to its citizens).
A sliding scale of tax which amounts to an effective cap on maximum earnings sounds like good social policy to me. I'm sure other methods of reducing income inequality are available.

albion

Guru
Indeed. Boris Johnson gave up US citizenship to save cash. With a similar system would Brexit gave actually happened?
Farage and the hedge fund gang just might not have been scam UK citizens if so.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Or you could remove the option of non-dom status and make all UK citizens' income, wherever it's earned, taxable in the UK (USA does that to its citizens).
A sliding scale of tax which amounts to an effective cap on maximum earnings sounds like good social policy to me. I'm sure other methods of reducing income inequality are available.

Is that two options?, ie

Remove non-dom status and tax the non-UK Non-Doms at whatever the prevailing rates are for UK citizens

and

Tax all UK citizens, living in UK, on total earning, no matter where earned

Ian H

Legendary Member
Is that two options?, ie

Remove non-dom status and tax the non-UK Non-Doms at whatever the prevailing rates are for UK citizens

and

Tax all UK citizens, living in UK, on total earning, no matter where earned
Given that non-dom is mostly a convenient fiction, there's little difference.

icowden

Legendary Member
Or you could remove the option of non-dom status and make all UK citizens' income, wherever it's earned, taxable in the UK
For some reason this option never seems to appeal to Parliamentarians. For some reason when the topic comes up, they run in fear of the bad press it will generate. It's not clear why the newspapers are against it - I believe Lord Rothermere, Rupert Murdoch, the Barclay Family and Evgeny Lebedev may be able to elaborate on the topic...

Top Bottom