Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/l...damaged-switch-off-immediately-053335640.html

The sooner they move onto safe batteries the better. Even top brands go up in flames.

The article isn't clear on whether the battery exploded and destroyed a home and 12 others in the same instance or separately but assuming its separately, that is still an extremely low failure rate since they have already replaced over 18000 and are locating a further 5000. Still, seems like the company are reacting to it so that's a good thing. Also, the article headline says 13 the article itself says 12. 🙄

albion

Guru
It is also unclear as to whether 100% of them are time bombs.
Saying that, are all standard rechargeable lithium batteries time bombs?

matticus

Guru
It is also unclear as to whether 100% of them are time bombs.
Saying that, are all standard rechargeable lithium batteries time bombs?

well ... depends on the QC at the manufacturers, and whether they are abused during operation.
I work with [a different kind] of Lithium that goes into space. They never catch fire after they leave us! But "bad" cells, and mistreated cells DO. I have no faith in the general public* to look after their batteries, and not a lot more faith in car manufacturers/assemblers.

*this includes me when I'm not at work!

Bazzer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-68208356.amp

Was always going to happen, especially so in Bournemouth. Cars in garages are possibly next via 'no insurance cover'.
I would have thought the chances of an ICE car catching fire anywhere, let alone in an enclosed space were much higher. If only on the grounds that you are likely to have very hot metal adjacent to combustible and quite often leaking fluids.
The most recent spectacular car fire was that at Luton Airport, and so far as I am aware, that was started by a diesel car.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I would have thought the chances of an ICE car catching fire anywhere, let alone in an enclosed space were much higher. If only on the grounds that you are likely to have very hot metal adjacent to combustible and quite often leaking fluids.
The most recent spectacular car fire was that at Luton Airport, and so far as I am aware, that was started by a diesel car.

I recall correctly there was a spate of Vauxhall Corsa ICE cars bursting into flames in various parts of the country, a number of years ago.

Bazzer

Diesel Hybrid I think - the type of car most likely to catch fire.
Reports I had read were that it was a diesel not a hybrid.
I also saw some reports that the vehicle was doing a diesel particulate clean at the time. Although why it should be doing this when unattended didn't make sense to me.

Top Bottom