Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/air-source-heat-pump-costs-25803172.amp

I imagine that, compared to ground source heat extraction, these are nearing 100% uselessness in winter.

Locally, the Local Authority is developing a system to extract heat(?) from the River Tyne, and, from the water in abandoned Mine Workings.

Be interesting to see if it is another Nuclear Fusion (ie more energy in than out), but, we need to be patient, I am sure there will be a breakthrough in 20 years ;)

slowmotion

Depends whose fat you make them from.

I wouldn't recommend tallow which is rendered beef or mutton fat. Beeswax is far better and smells very good.

presta

Isn't the problem also that 90% of the population understandably aspire to having lifestyles like that of the resources-greedy existing ten percent. It's going to be hard to explain to somebody in the developing World "Sorry pal, you can't live like we do/did".
1672090427750.png

If the rich 12.2% halve their consumption, the poor 87.8% can consume twice as much, and still leave a 27% reduction in consumption overall.
Or, engage sensibly, and, accept that x people consuming a given level (z) of resources, will consume fewer resources than x+y people. consuming a given level of resources (z), provided that x, y and z are positive integers.
The population is already under control, with ~2 births per woman, the impending rise from 7bn to 11bn is what's already baked into the system as the young grow up and have families of their own, because there's already an excess of children alive. See here (from ~21mins).

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

Top Bottom