Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I wonder if someone had tipped him off that 'Greta' was after his arriss

So he thought he'd get a preemptive strike in first.

I wonder if he will wriggle out of this, and, emerge with even more publicity and followers?

mudsticks

Squire
I wonder if he will wriggle out of this, and, emerge with even more publicity and followers?

Who knows, but if nothing else it's alerted a few more people.

(who really should have known already🙄)

To the existence of this putrid subculture of misogyny that exists out there, it's not just online.

If it isn't Tate it will be someone else - sadly he's not the only one peddling this kind of vile stuff.

Unless it's taken more seriously and actually tackled at root then it will continue.

Those choosing to ignore it, or diminish it's important or impact are part of the problem.

Those laughing at, and encouraging misogyny online rather than tackling it when it happens are also part of the problem .

Remember the backlash over the really very mild suggestion by Gilette that maybe it was up to men to influence or educate other men who were being out of order.??

It all goes to show just how deep and wide this stuff is embedded.

Its only going to get sorted by a big collective effort.

You can't just sit on the fence and say 'nothing to do with me' - There are not two 'equally valid' pov here..
One side is abusive and wants women to be hurt, exploited, and controlled.

The other finds that abhorrent and actively resists.

"Beyond the entertainment value of what transpired over the past few days, is a serious reminder of the intersection between machismo, misogyny, hostility to climate action and climate science, and the dank underworld of rightwing characters like Tate recruiting white boys and young men to their views."

Once again.. it's all part of an interconnected mindset of 'not caring' not engaging with a problem

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/31/greta-thunberg-andrew-tate-tweet

BoldonLad

Who knows, but if nothing else it's alerted a few more people.

(who really should have known already🙄)

To the existence of this putrid subculture of misogyny that exists out there, it's not just online.

If it isn't Tate it will be someone else - sadly he's not the only one peddling this kind of vile stuff.

Unless it's taken more seriously and actually tackled at root then it will continue.

Those choosing to ignore it, or diminish it's important or impact are part of the problem.

Those laughing at, and encouraging misogyny online rather than tackling it when it happens are also part of the problem .

Remember the backlash over the really very mild suggestion by Gilette that maybe it was up to men to influence or educate other men who were being out of order.??

It all goes to show just how deep and wide this stuff is embedded.

Its only going to get sorted by a big collective effort.

You can't just sit on the fence and say 'nothing to do with me' - There are not two 'equally valid' pov here..
One side is abusive and wants women to be hurt, exploited, and controlled.

The other finds that abhorrent and actively resists.

"Beyond the entertainment value of what transpired over the past few days, is a serious reminder of the intersection between machismo, misogyny, hostility to climate action and climate science, and the dank underworld of rightwing characters like Tate recruiting white boys and young men to their views."

Once again.. it's all part of an interconnected mindset of 'not caring' not engaging with a problem

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/31/greta-thunberg-andrew-tate-tweet

I am sure you will be pleased to hear:

Not one of my drinking pals had heard of Andrew Tait.

Strangely, despite not having the faintest idea who he is, none of them (including myself) had any sympathy with his views.

mudsticks

Squire
Not one of my drinking pals had heard of Andrew Tait.

Strangely, despite not having the faintest idea who he is, none of them (including myself) had any sympathy with his views.

And that right there is the problem.

All this stuff is going on, but it's ignored and diminished as unimportant.
In the hope that it all just magically goes away by itself.

Given your track record this far, I wouldn't expect anything more than laughter from you in response though..

BoldonLad

And that right there is the problem.

All this stuff is going on, but it's ignored and diminished as unimportant.
In the hope that it all just magically goes away by itself.

Given your track record this far, I wouldn't expect anything more than laughter from you in response though..

Not one of us considers it unimportant. True, we don’t want to feed it, by giving it the benefit of publicity, but, not one us condones it in any shape or form.

mudsticks

Squire
Not one of us considers it unimportant. True, we don’t want to feed it, by giving it the benefit of publicity, but, not one us condones it in any shape or form.

'Not condoning' is the absolute bare minimum surely.

Being utterly repulsed, mystified as to how you could have missed such an abhorrent phenomenon (he's part of a whole movement - not a one-off) and undertaking to be part of the solution, could be a bit further up the line.

The depressing levels of indifference, apathy, and laissez faire attitude when it comes to something like this shouldn't really shock me,

I'm old enough to know how everyday misogynistic attitudes, are just that, everyday, accepted as inevitable as drizzle.
Not even noticed half the time.

But I refuse to not be outraged.
Not just by the reality of it, but also the feeble efforts to do anything about it.

matticus

Guru
The Shadow Minister for Domestic Violence and Safeguarding.

View: https://twitter.com/josephattard02/status/1608781358956179458?t=m8rMFlDOAYz7a1dUxp7kyw&s=19

Dirty deleted now but FFS.

I don't think the pile-on of Philips is justified: was Greta "trivialising sex trafficking" in HER humorous anti-Tate tweets?

It probably wasn't appropriate for a Shadow Minister , thus sensible to delete; but that doesn't convict her.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I don't think the pile-on of Philips is justified: was Greta "trivialising sex trafficking" in HER humorous anti-Tate tweets?

It probably wasn't appropriate for a Shadow Minister , thus sensible to delete; but that doesn't convict her.

To me it's more a case of having claimed she'd looked into it, she very obviously hadn't. She got the whole situation very very wrong. I don't think it was appropriate for her to delete but it would definitely be appropriate for her to correct and clarify. She can't pretend it didn't happen, but she hasn't tweeted about it since.

Thunberg is not an elected representative, let alone one with responsibility for safeguarding and domestic violence.

BoldonLad

'Not condoning' is the absolute bare minimum surely.

Being utterly repulsed, mystified as to how you could have missed such an abhorrent phenomenon (he's part of a whole movement - not a one-off) and undertaking to be part of the solution, could be a bit further up the line.

The depressing levels of indifference, apathy, and laissez faire attitude when it comes to something like this shouldn't really shock me,

I'm old enough to know how everyday misogynistic attitudes, are just that, everyday, accepted as inevitable as drizzle.
Not even noticed half the time.

But I refuse to not be outraged.
Not just by the reality of it, but also the feeble efforts to do anything about it.

Oh dear oh dear. I have asked you to do this before, without you delivering, but, how about posting a link to a single post of mine, where I have expressed these vile views you speak of.

As for my drinking pals, you don’t even know them, they are not on Cc or NACA, but, you are quite willing to assume the most unpleasant aspect to their supposed views.

It looks like, perhaps, myself and my pals were in good company (Ms Philips) in not following Tait’s every outpouring of puerile vomit.

IMHO, you need help.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

I've never heard of him either, another example of not living my life through twitter I guess.

Who gives a flying f**k what him or Gretna thinks and certainly not bothered about their apparent spat.

mudsticks

Squire
Oh dear oh dear. I have asked you to do this before, without you delivering, but, how about posting a link to a single post of mine, where I have expressed these vile views you speak of.

As for my drinking pals, you don’t even know them, they are not on Cc or NACA, but, you are quite willing to assume the most unpleasant aspect to their supposed views.

IMHO, you need help.

Where did I say you had expressed vile views?

All I said about your own views was that not condoning should be the very least of it.

The rest of it is my overall disappointment, at the general apathy, towards tackling this.

It's you that needs help - with English comprehension.

BoldonLad

General apathy would, perhaps, be preferable than feeding it. Tait May be a turd, but, he has been very adept at manipulating the system. He may have come unstuck now (hopefully), but, if not, he has won again.

mudsticks

Squire
General apathy would, perhaps, be preferable than feeding it. Tait May be a turd, but, he has been very adept at manipulating the system. He may have come unstuck now (hopefully), but, if not, he has won again.

Apathy towards tackling online misogyny.??

It doesn't go away by ignoring it.

Top Bottom