Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Is there no winky emoji missing from that ?

Why?, I was being serious.

mudsticks

Squire
Trouble is some people (even some beekeepers) genuinely think that feeding bees industrially produced cane or beet sugar is an ok substitute for the bees own honey stores or flower foraged nectar.

Whereas even the tiniest traces of insecticide to be found in those products can disrupt the ecology, and physiology of the bee.

BoldonLad

Just watching BBC News item on lack of snow in the Alps, yet another sign of Climate Change.

I am no expert in the technology, but, presumably, using energy to produce artificial snow isn't actually helpful in the long term (or even, the short term).

Edited: because I missed out an "isn't" !

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
Just watching BBC News item on lack of snow in the Alps, yet another sign of Climate Change.

I am no expert in the technology, but, presumably, using energy to produce artificial snow actually helpful in the long term (or even, the short term).

Very unhelpful, it consumes lots of energy.
Doesn't do any good

Hiked across quite a few 'dying' glaciers this summer..

Very sad 😟

icowden

Legendary Member
I am no expert in the technology, but, presumably, using energy to produce artificial snow isn't actually helpful in the long term (or even, the short term).
The problem with artificial snow is that it only really works to supplement existing snow, otherwise it's just going to immediately melt. The ground and air needs to be cold enough to sustain it.

mudsticks

Squire
The problem with artificial snow is that it only really works to supplement existing snow, otherwise it's just going to immediately melt. The ground and air needs to be cold enough to sustain it.

Well the main reason that artificial snow is created in the first place is for creating ski slopes.

The ski industry by encouraging flying and high energy use at its resorts has contributed to its own downfall.

Morally 'satisfying' perhaps, but the consequences of climate change don't discern between those who have been profligate with resources, and those living with less impact.

Quite the reverse sadly, those living relatively modestly in the global south are already suffering the worst consequences.

BoldonLad

That just makes it worse, a whole lot of energy consumed to produce it, then, it doesn’t do the job anyway. A sort of lose, lose situation.

matticus

Guru
Well the main reason that artificial snow is created in the first place is for creating ski slopes.

The ski industry by encouraging flying and high energy use at its resorts has contributed to its own downfall.

Morally 'satisfying' perhaps, but the consequences of climate change don't discern between those who have been profligate with resources, and those living with less impact.

Quite the reverse sadly, those living relatively modestly in the global south are already suffering the worst consequences.
I think I'd rather deal with loss of my favourite ski slope, than losing my house and hundreds of neighbours houses to flooding/sea-rise.

mudsticks

Squire
I think I'd rather deal with loss of my favourite ski slope, than losing my house and hundreds of neighbours houses to flooding/sea-rise.

Well most people would say thats what they would prefer, if given those two choices laid out like that .

But when it comes to it, people make choices that suggest their actual priorities are elsewhere.

It's the enormity of the problem, versus what I want to do right now, and every one else is doing it and having lots of fun, so why shouldn't I anyway ??

bobzmyunkle

But when it comes to it, people make choices that suggest their actual priorities are elsewhere.

It's the enormity of the problem, versus what I want to do right now, and every one else is doing it and having lots of fun, so why shouldn't I anyway ??
Maybe governments could take the lead on this? I know Rishi's doing all he can in this country.

Top Bottom