Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
This should be a Big One... 💜🙏🏼💚

https://extinctionrebellion.uk/the-big-one/

theclaud

Reading around the chip
It’s an impressive image and will gain lots of news coverage. But the general public simply doesn’t support this sort of protest as snooker has nothing to do with the oil industry.
It’s probably anti productive for JSO in the long run.
I’d much rather see blockages around motorways and airports as these are far easier to justify.

Cazoo, Europe’s leading online car retailer, which makes buying and selling a car as simple as ordering any other product online today, has become the title sponsor of snooker’s biggest tournament and one of the most prestigious events on the sporting calendar, the World Snooker Championship.

Under a new multi-year agreement, the Cazoo World Snooker Championship will see prominent Cazoo branding on the main set, players’ waistcoats and interview and media conference backdrops and will have extensive live coverage on BBC, Eurosport and a range of broadcasters across the globe.

Beebo

Veteran
Cazoo, Europe’s leading online car retailer, which makes buying and selling a car as simple as ordering any other product online today, has become the title sponsor of snooker’s biggest tournament and one of the most prestigious events on the sporting calendar, the World Snooker Championship.

Under a new multi-year agreement, the Cazoo World Snooker Championship will see prominent Cazoo branding on the main set, players’ waistcoats and interview and media conference backdrops and will have extensive live coverage on BBC, Eurosport and a range of broadcasters across the globe.

If that’s the case then I could draw a very spurious link to the oil industry in almost every sport and business in some way or another.

As pointed out elsewhere buying a second hand car from Cazoo is a much better thing for the environment than buying a new car every 4 years.

Society simply can’t operate without oil at the moment. And an immediate withdrawal is never going to happen. Sadiq Khan can’t even implement the expanded ULEZ without the local Councils getting in a tizzy.

Whilst JSO have commendable goals they aren’t realistic enough to be adopted in the short term and I stand by my point that a better goal would be the more direct targeting of major oil players. (On the understanding that you will never win over everyone to the cause)

theclaud

Reading around the chip
If that’s the case then I could draw a very spurious link to the oil industry in almost every sport and business in some way or another.

As pointed out elsewhere buying a second hand car from Cazoo is a much better thing for the environment than buying a new car every 4 years.

Society simply can’t operate without oil at the moment. And an immediate withdrawal is never going to happen. Sadiq Khan can’t even implement the expanded ULEZ without the local Councils getting in a tizzy.

Whilst JSO have commendable goals they aren’t realistic enough to be adopted in the short term and I stand by my point that a better goal would be the more direct targeting of major oil players. (On the understanding that you will never win over everyone to the cause)

Headline automotive industry sponsor for a prestige sporting event is hardly a 'spurious link'. The demand is that no new fossil fuel licences are granted, which is entirely reaslitic for anyone serious about changing the direction of carbon emissions. We hit 423ppm a few days ago. JSO are going for diverse and high-profile tactics - they've generated front-page material about an issue that most people regard as urgent and agree is not being adequately addressed by governments and institutions.

matticus

Guru

JSO aren't campaigning to stop all oil use. Do some twutting research - you've been whining about this for long enough :biggrin:

Perhaps there's a compromise between our current climate change and cutting off all oil and gas - did you think of that? What do you think all those climate conferences were about?? Jesus, this isn't rocket science ...

matticus

Guru
Anyone here going? I’ll be the one pushing a chrome single speed through the throng.

Honestly? No. Often consider it, but Too lazy, scared of modern police etc ... etc ...

If you need some bail money, drop me a line :P Or tell me how else us armchair tree-huggers can help without actually getting our hands dirty!

Honestly? No. Often consider it, but Too lazy, scared of modern police etc ... etc ...

If you need some bail money, drop me a line :P Or tell me how else us armchair tree-huggers can help without actually getting our hands dirty!

The stated intention of this long weekend is to be about numbers rather than lock-ons and spectaculars. Don’t overthink it.

mudsticks

Squire
Anyone here going? I’ll be the one pushing a chrome single speed through the throng.

There's a farmers / landworkers bloc too.
Some are of whom may also be riding bicycles..

How's that for intersectional💚🙏🏼🌶️!?!?!?

Honestly the chance of getting detained on something like this are fairly low, unless you're actually trying to get arrested.
Even then unless you're doing something chargeable you be let go again fairly swiftly.

You might get kettled if you're in the 'wrong' place at the wrong time.

Or you can persist with doing important but dreary dull stuff like writing to your MP - of whatever flavour - they have to count the numbers.
And of course set up a regular donation to one of the campaigning organisations.

Plus check out your investments / pension fund (if you have such grown up things) and lobby them to divest from fossil fuel corps .

Money still talks 👍🏼

Top Bottom