Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
Like it or not, most people, whether hard of thinking or genius level like those on this forum, get their news from MSM, and this sort of criticism from them of activists who are just "living in the world as it exists now" goes with the territory.

Of course it is not fair but they just have to suck it up. It is a price they have, and should be prepared, to pay.

Yes activists have got used to putting up with just that, like you say it goes with the territory.

What (sort of) surprises me is that otherwise seemingly intelligent people still so quickly, come up with the 'hypocrisy' charge.
Like some massively self defeating 'gotcha'

And still so often (but not always) appear to frame, as 'the enemy' those who are calling for, and putting their arrisses on the line to bring forward this urgently needed change.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yes activists have got used to putting up with just that, like you say it goes with the territory.

What (sort of) surprises me is that otherwise seemingly intelligent people still so quickly, come up with the 'hypocrisy' charge.

And still so often (but not always) appear to frame, as 'the enemy' those who are calling for, and putting their arrisses on the line to bring forward this urgently needed change.

It is hypocrisy. Not of a very high level...but both sides find their own way of getting their message across. The MSM are aiming their message at their customers, the mainstream of the public, and not protesters. Are not the protesters also aiming their message at the mainstream to increase awareness? If not what is the aim of their protest?

Protesters are strong enough to go against the law and risk fines or prison so charges of hypocrisy should not worry them.

mudsticks

Squire
Protesters are strong enough to go against the law and risk fines or prison so charges of hypocrisy should not worry them.

I didn't say it did worry them / us.

I said that it surprises me that so many otherwise seemingly intelligent people still accuse activist's of 'hypocrisy' , as if they're making some kind of valid 'counter argument'.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I didn't say it did worry them / us.

I said that it surprises me that so many otherwise seemingly intelligent people still accuse activist's of 'hypocrisy' , as if they're making some kind of valid 'counter argument'.

Of course accusations of hypocrisy do not counter the argument that the protesters are trying to get over the dangers of climate change and the impact of fossil fuels on that change, but they can, apparently successfully, be used to sow doubt over the strength of principle of those who use protest to make the argument.

This applies whether it is a protester who drives a diesel car, or Prince Harry who travels the world by private jet. The tactic is the same in the battle over the PR of protests, where the audience consists of the full range of intelligence available.

Wobblers

And any activist who actually does manage without all the standard trappings of modern life will inevitably be sneeringly labelled "yohgurt knitting commie hippy clowns" by all the usual suspects. Or be accused of hypocrisy anyway, because they can't believe anyone can exits without a car or fly. Or both.

mudsticks

Squire
And any activist who actually does manage without all the standard trappings of modern life will inevitably be sneeringly labelled "yohgurt knitting commie hippy clowns" by all the usual suspects. Or be accused of hypocrisy anyway, because they can't believe anyone can exits without a car or fly. Or both.

Oh yes all that, plus 'unwashed' and needing to get a job 👍🏼🙄

We're usually very quick to laughingly refer to ourselves as full hippy, lefty knicker knitting, wholefoodistas - even when that's not quite the case..

I mean I eat meat, own tractors, and run two profitable businesses.

Haven't flown since the nineties - but still manage to have brilliant holidays.

It can be sooo confusing trying to pin down and properly dismiss these eco activist 'idiots' .

Oh i forgot - Then if you do so much as dare mention what you do (or don't do) to try to be some small part of the solution - You'll get accused of 'virtue signalling'

If only half as much effort went into tackling the very real problem of climate change, rather than trying to discredit those trying to effect change in less than ideal circumstances, we'd be a lot further down the route to solving it.

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
The more I engage with such people, the less intelligent they generally turn out to be.
This morning's classic on the XR/London thread:
"What about all the CO2 you lot are emitting?!?"
You can only laugh!

The "hypocrisy!" shouts just turn into an endless whataboutery list. Upset at JSO travelling to London? Well, ok .. perhaps you'd be impressed by a 19yo girl SAILING ACROSS THE farkING ATLANTIC to attend a climate conference. Oh no, cos apparently she's been brainwashed by <insert favourite conspiracy nonsense>

There is no thought, no reason. It's all summed up the evergreen motto:
beta&t=gV4-2yeunb5hS7mZyLTme7UUMIvaR3vD8wbfsiBN-Uo.jpg

matticus

Guru
Take Ethred, the snooker powder guy:
- "Hope he gets 3 years in jail like the other lot! That'll teach him to play with the big boys.
And also:
- "It's easy for rich kids to do this stuff, they'll never suffer any consequences!"

I mean, come on guys, at least make up your mind WHY you hate the guy!

mudsticks

Squire
Take Ethred, the snooker powder guy:

I mean, come on guys, at least make up your mind WHY you hate the guy!
It doesn't really matter what reason they give.

The hatred is because they know Ethred is correct - and that he's correct in asserting that the need for radical change has been with us ( and known about) for decades.

Thing is if you agree with Ethred, instead of attacking him you have to admit that you might have been complicit in 'business as usual' up til now, and that you might have fallen for the convenient lies, and obfuscation, of those who would see highly damaging business as usual continue.

Admitting that you've gone along with a big old lie, or been duped, or even 'wrong' all along is a very difficult thing for the human ego to bear - and it will be resisted at all costs.

Ian H

Guru
I think there might be a case for honesty though.

£1.4 Billion for over 1 Gigawatt of Windfarm energy is cheap. Take Moray East Wind Farm. That was built to produce around 950MW of power, yet cost around £3 billion. Hornsea Two cost around £5 billion and is supposed to produce 1.4GW.

But it is extraordinary to set minimum pricing per unit before the project starts. Im so grateful that the Government, The champions of free market, has decided the minimum i will pay for my future energy needs, leaving the benefits of lower wholesale prices firmly in the hands of shareholders and not in lower bills for all of us...

Compare Hinkley Point, which they're attempting to rebrand as 'green energy' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_Point_C_nuclear_power_station

matticus

Guru
The latest study by Shell says oil/gas growth has to end immediately to keep us within 1.5'c rise.

So it's not just those daftie soap-dodging JSO hippes saying it ...

the snail

Meanwhile serial grifter Grant Shapps proposes to throw 20 billion of taxpayers' money at a fantasy carbon capture scheme under the sea, so we can squeeze a bit more oil out. I wonder ow many homes you could insulate, or how much renewable capacity you could buy with that cash? Insulate Britain and JSO are right.

Top Bottom