Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121

https://conservativehome.com/2023/0...t-be-honest-about-the-costs-of-offshore-wind/
"Bureaucrats must be honest about the costs of offshore wind"

Between the lines, "but it is ok for Conservatives to sanction extremely high costs onto the nation and public" and "find someone to blame".

I think there might be a case for honesty though.

"Take the Seagreen windfarm currently under construction off the Angus coast. At just over 1 gigawatt capacity, Pocklington would have you believe that it might cost as little as £1.4 billion to build. But the windfarm’s most recent financial accounts show that by March 2022 it had already spent £2.2 billion, and was still to complete the installation of the turbine foundations! That milestone was only reached a few days ago."

£1.4 Billion for over 1 Gigawatt of Windfarm energy is cheap. Take Moray East Wind Farm. That was built to produce around 950MW of power, yet cost around £3 billion. Hornsea Two cost around £5 billion and is supposed to produce 1.4GW.

But it is extraordinary to set minimum pricing per unit before the project starts. Im so grateful that the Government, The champions of free market, has decided the minimum i will pay for my future energy needs, leaving the benefits of lower wholesale prices firmly in the hands of shareholders and not in lower bills for all of us...

D

Deleted member 121

And the Twitter replies are why i don't really do twitter...

FuKwtCkWwAEYRcl?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Who would i trust? All i know is that i wouldn't trust the maker of this poster to butter my toast...

matticus

Guru
Im so grateful that the Government, The champions of free market, has decided the minimum i will pay for my future energy needs, leaving the benefits of lower wholesale prices firmly in the hands of shareholders
You could keep the bold bits, and add some other words to describe 90% of current policies.

Yay for the Free Market!!!

Milzy

And the Twitter replies are why i don't really do twitter...

View attachment 3706

Who would i trust? All i know is that i wouldn't trust the maker of this poster to butter my toast...

The top lot are paid WEF puppets. Still we could do a lot more to help. Another .1 of co2 would create more vapour and warming but humans would adapt. Humans will survive the next ice age, cooling is harsher than warming.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
He's hit the nail on the head though, climate change is essentially a form of eugenics.

albion

Guru

mudsticks

Squire

"Woman calling for radical change, but living in the world as it exists now, spotted living in the world as it exists now !! - Shocker !!

Generally, dedicated climate activists will try to live and buy differently, when and where they can, but few of them are fabulously rich, so will have to make do with whatever is affordable via the 'standard' - for which read 'less than environmentally ideal' market offer - whilst at the same time pressing for a just transition to a lower carbon economy, where the 'greener' option is the more affordable one.

Of course msm - who generally wish to see very little radical change in these matters - will call 'hypocrisy' as if that's something akin to, or even slightly worse than, child molestation .

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
"Woman calling for radical change, but living in the world as it exists now, spotted living in the world as it exists now !! - Shocker !!

Generally, dedicated climate activists will try to live and buy differently, when and where they can, but few of them are fabulously rich, so will have to make do with whatever is affordable via the 'standard' - for which read 'less than environmentally ideal' market offer - whilst at the same time pressing for a just transition to a lower carbon economy, where the 'greener' option is the more affordable one.

Of course msm - who generally wish to see very little radical change in these matters - will call 'hypocrisy' as if that's something akin to, or even slightly worse than, child molestation .

If it could all be done so simply, there wouldn't be such a problem, would there?

I've been taking my own bags to the supermarket for thirty years yet somehow the planet's still on fire. It's a mystery.

mudsticks

Squire
If it could all be done so simply, there wouldn't be such a problem, would there?

I've been taking my own bags to the supermarket for thirty years yet somehow the planet's still on fire. It's a mystery.

It's almost as if it's not individuals changing their individual shopping habits, that's going to solve this.

It's almost as if it will take joined up policy, and change from the top down isn't it 🤔

Us 'grassroots' lot can run our households, farms, etc differently, model 'better' even, where possible

But we also have to call for wholesale policy change, that can only be enacted by governments and mega corporations.

So a-lobbying, and a-protesting we must go too ...

Exhausting innit.??

albion

Guru
The world needs to change, and for that you need the worlds goverment to agree and regulate.
Properly. Not the kicking the can down the road, carbon credit stuff we are getting.

mudsticks

Squire
The world needs to change, and for that you need the worlds goverment to agree and regulate.
Properly. Not the kicking the can down the road, carbon credit stuff we are getting.

Well yes, some of us having been saying this for many decades, but the push back, and obfuscation / denial of what's actually happening from the oil corps and their supporters, has been determined and ofc very well funded.

And then you've also got hard of thinking people going along with populist msm's calls of 'hypocrisy' when activists calling for change, live in the world, and use facilities as they currently exist.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Well yes, some of us having been saying this for many decades, but the push back, and obfuscation / denial of what's actually happening from the oil corps and their supporters, has been determined and ofc very well funded.

And then you've also got hard of thinking people going along with populist msm's calls of 'hypocrisy' when activists calling for change, live in the world, and use facilities as they currently exist.

Like it or not, most people, whether hard of thinking or genius level like those on this forum, get their news from MSM, and this sort of criticism from them of activists who are just "living in the world as it exists now" goes with the territory.

Of course it is not fair but they just have to suck it up. It is a price they have, and should be prepared, to pay.

It is also not fair that motorists, workers, or people watching a snooker tournament, (who generally are also "living in the world as it exists now"), have their lives inconvenienced as part of someone else's protest, but they are expected to just suck it up. It is a price we have to pay.

Top Bottom