Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
https://amp.theguardian.com/society...dders-it-makes-more-sense-than-a-nine-to-five

Makes little sense to me. The pollution from wood burning is damaging to both health and climate.

If you grow the trees and replant or pollard / coppice them onsite, then burning them for fuel is carbon neutral.

The trees at Tinkers Bubble are overgrown evergreen plantation.

Larger trees are taken out and planked with the steam (wood) powered sawmill.
The planks are used in building and or sold (so that carbon is sequestered)

Thinnings / offcuts / brash is used for fuel onsite.

I agree it's not such a great idea to transport wood into towns and cities to burn there, where particulates are already a problem, and the carbon cost of transportation is high.

But in relatively low density rural settlement that is off grid, and by its nature already low in its power consumption then burning some wood, for space and water heating isn't the worst eco-crime by a long shot.

Pale Rider

Veteran

matticus

Guru
A classic example of what we hacks call 'top spin'.

The headline boldly asserts 'hottest day on earth', but the story says 'some scientists believe' and 'may have been'.

Which is a slight pity, because otherwise the piece was well-researched and put together.

Would you have gone with
'Hottest day on earth?'
?

matticus

Guru
Meanwhile at Wimbledon ... you can't say JSO protestors lack class:
1688631348590.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/66111111

mudsticks

Squire
Surely, someone had a thermometer 125,000 years ago, though obviously China was supplying them in 1979.

You can tell what temperatures were pre history of human recording by looking at the geological record.

mudsticks

Squire
Good for her, standing up for what she believes in and not backing down. She's got more balls than Starmer - or keyboard warriors like you for that matter.

I've got many friends and acquaintances who have been variously sanctioned, including being arrested, and imprisoned for protesting on this issue over the decades.

I've done a lot of activism and protesting too, but somehow avoided arrest as of yet.

Its something that I still believe is worth that possibility though.

I'd far rather be an active citizen fighting for what l believe in, than give into lazy "Who gives a cr@p?" cynicism .

A livable planet is the baseline survival requirement for the human race, and the other species we share it with .

If that's not worth fighting for, then what exactly is.??

Top Bottom