Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
It's not ring-fenced for domestic usage, it's for sale by the extractors on the open market.

But whoever is the end consumer it's oil that should stay in the ground, irrespective of what others are doing.
Still income for semi-bankrupt UK. And I very much doubt this oil will travel that far.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Still income for semi-bankrupt UK. And I very much doubt this oil will travel that far.

Not sure where the pipeline goes from that area, maybe to Norway, or, maybe to Shetland, or, maybe to mainland Scotland.

mudsticks

Squire

The majority of the profit goes to the oil corps not to UK tax take - nor will it reduce energy bills..

"What Rosebank produces will be sold at world market prices, so the project will not cut energy prices for UK consumers.

The Norwegian state oil company Equinor - which is the majority owner of Rosebank - has confirmed that.

"If the UK needs Rosebank oil, it will go to the UK through open market mechanisms", said Arne Gurtner, Equinor's senior vice president for the UK.

Emma Pinchbeck, chief executive of the industry body Energy UK, said the long-term solution for UK bills and energy security "is in reducing our gas demand", rather then extracting new fossil fuels.

The government's independent advisers on climate change, the Climate Change Committee (CCC), has said similar in response to the government's plans to develop the UK's remaining offshore oil and gas reserves."

BoldonLad

A friend of mine sent me a link to this act of vandalism earlier. I asked if it was a joke before finding out it was true. Feels a bit odd being saddened by a single tree.

Some people really are absolute bellends.

Pretty much the same here, I was out for lunch with Daughter No4 and she told me it was "all over Facebook", my immediate thought was, "it's wind-up", but, sadly, no, there it was on BBC Website.

BoldonLad

It also puts me in mind of all those deliberate acts of vandalism where ancient trees have been felled in pursuit of that vanity project known as HS2.

Plus many other road building, and development casualties.

Very true, as I understand it, much of the UK (including the South West) was forested, but, land has been cleared for all kinds of reasons, including Farming, or course.

mudsticks

Squire
https://www.upstreamonline.com/fina...nces-tweak-to-energy-profits-levy/2-1-1464633
Yet 'This was putting the long-term future of the UK’s domestic supply at risk, “meaning we would be forced to import more from abroad at a time when reliable and affordable energy is a focus for families and businesses”, the government said.'

Plus, it feels a bit like Germany closing down all their nuclear power stations.
Pragmatism must rule.

We're still going to be forced to buy this oil at global market price as stated above by the majority Norwegian stakeholder.

The cons trying to make out that this is about energy prices, or security is an utter con.

BoldonLad

We're still going to be forced to buy this oil at global market price as stated above by the majority Norwegian stakeholder.

The cons trying to make out that this is about energy prices, or security is an utter con.

Price of a given commodity is frequently determined by the supply

I would rather not rely on any outside power, or, Company, but, If I had too, I think I would be more inclined to trust the Norwegians than that nice Mr Putin.

Pale Rider

Veteran
or security is an utter con.

No it isn't.

As one oil executive said, when things get iffy you are much better being at the beginning of the pipeline than the end of it.

The oil will be exported to western Europe for refining, but there's no doubt the energy security of the region will be improved.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Sycamore coppices quite well.

But I don't think that's the point

Wouldn't it be great if the uproar at the felling of this one tree could be broadened out to all mans threats to biodiversity.?

The furore about this sycamore is nothing to do with biodiversity or the environment; it's all about chopping down a photogenic tree in a pretty site that was in a film once.

It's a shame but thousands more trees, many as old as that one, get chopped down every day in this country alone. It's a tree! It's not the deforestation of the Amazon.

mudsticks

Squire
The furore about this sycamore is nothing to do with biodiversity or the environment; it's all about chopping down a photogenic tree in a pretty site that was in a film once.

It's a shame but thousands more trees, many as old as that one, get chopped down every day in this country alone. It's a tree! It's not the deforestation of the Amazon.

Err trees is 'the environment'

And it's been famous as a landscape tree since long before that film.

My point was that it would be great if the furore over this 'one' tree could be used to draw attention to the need to look after all the other trees.
Many of which also have great landscape value.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Err trees is 'the environment'

And it's been famous as a landscape tree since long before that film.

My point was that it would be great if the furore over this 'one' tree could be used to draw attention to the need to look after all the other trees.
Many of which also have great landscape value.

So is me, mowing my lawn or cutting down the conifer in my garden this year, or having a pee behind a bush when out on a bike ride.

I got your point, but this was just vandalism not an attack on the environment...(unless the young man they have arrested regarding this tree says anything to the contrary).

The priorities of our great nation mean that there will always be more attention given to a celebrity tree.

AndyRM

Elder Goth

This is true and tragic all at once.

Milzy

Exactly. The USA invaded Syria and have taken control of their oil fields for themselves. It won’t make their fuel prices lower just more profit for the suits. They have done this a few times in the last 50 years.

Top Bottom