Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
'The Conservative motion, due to be debated in Cardiff Bay on Wednesday, says the Welsh Parliament "has no confidence in the deputy minister for climate change given the record-breaking number of signatories to the petition.'
' "attempting to undermine the will of the overwhelming majority of Welsh people because he is unable to admit he has got it wrong".'

'Fark civilisation, fark climate change' is the current election slogan.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-66890756.amp
Conservatives instinctively hate stuff such as working together on climate change.

Because it's about 'we' not 'me'.

It's about using moderate and sustainable amounts of resources, not endlessly encouraging the race to accumulate and dominate.

It requires compromise, well funded science, good intentions towards, and thinking long term about people not even born yet.

It's anti get rich quick, it's anti exploitation, it's anti patriachy, and and anti hierarchical ways of thinking about the global human family, and ecosystems.

Conservatives are about conserving wealth in a few hands - they're nothing about conserving the wealth and abundance of the planetary commons for the future.

Conservatives instinctively hate stuff such as working together on climate change.

Because it's about 'we' not 'me'.
Think you're rather optimistic to imply that mindset only applies to climate change to be honest.

mudsticks

Squire
Think you're rather optimistic to imply that mindset only applies to climate change to be honest.

Which is why I used the phrase 'such as' in the first sentence of my post 👍🏼

That mindset is pretty much a broad sweep across the whole field of human existence, where right wingers are concerned.

It's consistent - if nothing else 🙄

AndyRM

Elder Goth

mudsticks

Squire
A friend of mine sent me a link to this act of vandalism earlier. I asked if it was a joke before finding out it was true. Feels a bit odd being saddened by a single tree.

Some people really are absolute bellends.

Ofc I am deeply saddened by this act of vandalism, it will come as no surprise to you that I cheerfully tramped past it on a coast to coast hike

But how do we go about harnessing the same (justified) outrage at the far greater acts of vandalism such as those enacted by oil corp's, for example??

Pale Rider

Veteran
The tree was left where it fell, but the pics show a very clean cut which I reckon would require some expertise with a chainsaw.

Vandalism is as good a description as any, but vandals are not usually so professional.

presta

The tree was left where it fell, but the pics show a very clean cut which I reckon would require some expertise with a chainsaw.

I was rather bemused by the "appears to be deliberate" comments.

"Oh! Sorry, I was just walking past and the chainsaw in my pocket snagged on the tree"

It reminds me of when yobs toppled some of the rocks at Brimham, they survived millions of years, but not a handful of vandals.

mudsticks

Squire

"Oh! Sorry, I was just walking past and the chainsaw in my pocket snagged on the tree"

It reminds me of when yobs toppled some of the rocks at Brimham, they survived millions of years, but not a handful of vandals.

It also puts me in mind of all those deliberate acts of vandalism where ancient trees have been felled in pursuit of that vanity project known as HS2.

Plus many other road building, and development casualties.

matticus

Guru

me too! Unless they have a new breed of truly meticulous beaver up there.

It's a horrible thing to see - but I think you have to take the positive view; nature bounces back.

mudsticks

Squire
me too! Unless they have a new breed of truly meticulous beaver up there.

It's a horrible thing to see - but I think you have to take the positive view; nature bounces back.

Sycamore coppices quite well.

But I don't think that's the point

Wouldn't it be great if the uproar at the felling of this one tree could be broadened out to all mans threats to biodiversity.?

Top Bottom