Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

This was the statement made for the Jumbo in the museum. I'm going by memory, but having checked this is not unreasonable for a long-haul flight so I don't think my memory is playing tricks with me. The usage for a return flight would be about 300 000 litres, and the plane in the museum is old presumably was less efficient.

Which is not the point - it needs to refuel. It was the usage the museum displayed, not the capacity.

That is so obvious it doesn't need stating. I added the sentence about fuel usage in the context of the large number of climate activists doing long-haul flights to get to the annual circus. You are right that claiming 300 000 litres just to get there is wrong, but there and back this is a realistic figure for usage for your 10 hour of more flight from say Frankfurt to Durban and back to base.

If I ever visit the Museum again I will check the wording of their information, together with its often naff English translation. The point though is the hypocrisy of those claiming to save the planet who far from setting a good example, do positive harm.

So you are stoll t4ying to justify your claims that:

1. Irrespective of distance flown a Jumbo Jet uses 330,000 litres of fuel on a flight

2. A Jumbo Jet uses more significantly more fuel per flight than the plan can hold? Perhaps you can explain this in flight refuelling

3. Now a return flight to an unknown destination is only 1 flight not two.

Why not just accept the 330,000 figures per flight cannot be true if the manufacturer states plane only has a capacity of 238,000 litres or fo Airlines carry a 92,000 litre Jerry can every Jumbo flight?

albion

Guru
Interesting that even they see offshore wind as providing over 70% of Electricity, with onshore wind at only 7%.
Sounds about right, I guess. I noticed that too.

It still means we could have 70% of current usage via ultra cheap onshore wind.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Sounds about right, I guess. I noticed that too.

It still means we could have 70% of current usage via ultra cheap onshore wind.

I didn't see that conclusion in the article.

albion

Guru
Probably doesn't, deep water wind being difficult. Yet that 'conservative' estimate would allow for much more onshore too.
Whatever, it is still far more than 7% potential. New designs are so quiet too.

It also depends on factors like size of turbine used, types of solar cells and maybe other things.

Last edited:

the snail

The report says current demand 299TWh, onshore could provide 206, offshore 2121 and utility solar 544 domestic solar 25. They don't mention what storage would be needed. It would be interesting to see their logic - e.g. why 10x current demand, is this the practical maximum, or is that the size required to supply projected demand all year round? I think this is where we will end up though.

albion

Guru
Yup. My 10x goes along with the vagueness. But who knows, turbines in all our gardens etc might just do it.

It still irks me, the mismanagement by all our governors, likely past and present.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Talking about how much 'we' are doing try this for size. I'm spending a week in England just before Christmas with my better half.

To get to England by Ryanair costs about € 200 for us both. I wanted to go by train and was prepared to pay a premium for this so the 'train could take the strain'. Interail costs € 490, plus you have to reserve a seat on Eurostar and the train to Paris - at extra cost. If you manage the latter there is no guarantee of the former so you can't risk it. Try to book the whole thing in one go via Deutsche Bahn (which you can only do two months before the trip) and the price goes up to between € 600 to €800. My wife is an expert at bookings and finding bargains but in the end even she had to give up.

If the train is ever to compete with short-haul air travel, it is going to have to get its act together both with how to book and price.

In the end will drive it. About € 250 all told, ferry one way and tunnel the other and fuel.

So even if you want to be environmentally friendly for whatever reason, the system is against you. Booking is a shambles except for flying. It would be better to use the tunnel both ways, but from experience bording at Calais is a total catastrophe due to Brexit and the reintroduced formalities and bureaucracy. Arrive two hours early as requested, get on a train 1 1/2 hours after the one you booked! The British end, on the other hand, is fine ...

Top Bottom