Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
Aaand it's not at all difficult to trace the links between conflict in the Middle East, and the geopolitics of oil reserves and supply, and the vast profits to be made.

War in itself, quite apart from the hideous consequences for the humans caught up in it, has a very heavy carbon load -

- In the first instance in its execution via heavy weaponry, munitions, the disruption of settled lives, and then in the energy cost of rebuilding.

Seeing how things go on, you'd almost imagine that some folks wouldn't want to see an end to war, as there is a lot of money to be made from industrialised military conflict, one way or another.

Does the 'arms trade' really want to see a more 'peaceful' globe?? It somehow, seems unlikely.

Given the enormous disparity in cost (ie over 100% 200Euro vs 600-800Euro, I think it was) between the rail journey and the flight, I suspect there may be slightly more to it than fuel duty. That is without even considering the other customer service(?) considerations mentioned by @Unkraut (eg lack of "joined up" booking options).

I think there's 'slightly' more to it than just fuel duty too.

Just as well I didn't say, or even infer otherwards, eh??

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Aaand it's not at all difficult to trace the links between conflict in the Middle East, and the geopolitics of oil reserves and supply, and the vast profits to be made.

War in itself, quite apart from the hideous consequences for the humans caught up in it, has a very heavy carbon load -

- In the first instance in its execution via heavy weaponry, munitions, the disruption of settled lives, and then in the energy cost of rebuilding.

Seeing how things go on, you'd almost imagine that some folks wouldn't want to see an end to war, as there is a lot of money to be made from industrialised military conflict, one way or another.

Does the 'arms trade' really want to see a more 'peaceful' globe?? It somehow, seems unlikely.

I think there's 'slightly' more to it than just fuel duty too.

Just as well I didn't say, or even infer otherwards, eh??

Magic, we agree, on something ;)

mudsticks

Squire
Magic, we agree, on something ;)
I'm sure that essentially we agree on lots.

Feel free to cease with the idea that you're somehow at odds with everyone else (or more particularly at odds with me)
It's pointless, and tiresome, winkies or not.

You were the one who was trying to imply that I thought that it was solely about the zero tax on aviation fuel.

When it was clear from my 'e.g.' that I was saying that was just one of many factors.

BoldonLad

I'm sure that essentially we agree on lots.

Feel free to cease with the idea that you're somehow at odds with everyone else (or more particularly at odds with me)
It's pointless, and tiresome, winkies or not.

You were the one who was trying to imply that I thought that it was solely about the zero tax on aviation fuel.

When it was clear from my 'e.g.' that I was saying that was just one of many factors.

Perhaps that is so, but, zero tax on aviation fuel was the ONLY example you quoted.

Have a nice day.

mudsticks

Squire
In itself an interesting debate! Just why IS Train travel in the UK so expensive and so bloody complicated to book!

Privatisation hasn't exactly helped has it, with anything like long term investment, in either infrastructure nor rolling stock

Multiple train operators coming into and out of an artificially created 'market' (which is still subsidised) for a service that should be seen as a public service -
It should be run as an integrated system.with us topping it up with our contributions towards tickets.

As regards "complicated' to book
I dunno, I travel a lot by train, and use the Trainline app, it seems to work ok for me.

Add on a bicycle yes then you're ramping up the 'fun' to another level.
Although Trainline does on many services allow you to book a bike on the same time - so that's an improvement.

Privatisation hasn't exactly helped has it, with anything like long term investment, in either infrastructure nor rolling stock

Multiple train operators coming into and out of an artificially created 'market' (which is still subsidised) for a service that should be seen as a public service -
It should be run as an integrated system.with us topping it up with our contributions towards tickets.

As regards "complicated' to book
I dunno, I travel a lot by train, and use the Trainline app, it seems to work ok for me.

Add on a bicycle yes then you're ramping up the 'fun' to another level.
Although Trainline does on many services allow you to book a bike on the same time - so that's an improvement.

I think am trainaphobic....

mudsticks

Squire
I think am trainaphobic....

Shame, as it can be a most delightful way to travel.

I don't know how much it contributes cost percentage wise for train operators to have to compensate via 'delay repay' but I know I've had a fair bit back off of them over the years..
Including the whole cost of tickets for two to Glasgow from Devon, because we missed our connection - they then also laid on a private taxi to Fort William..
Nice for us, but still🙄

If the thing was run properly as a public service, and not for 'profit' in the first place, then surely (?!) overall costs - tickets included could be less...

And if airlines had to pay full price for the consequences of their activities, under the principal of 'polluter pays' then they wouldn't be nearly so cheap.

As it is, we (the global population) all pay via climate change to indulge the whims of a really relatively few regular flight takers.

And of course airlines don't have to pay for 'airspace maintenance' in the way that train tracks must be paid for.

By all accounts the budget airlines have the upper hand when it comes to commanding the price on their usage of airports. Without their patronage airports would go bust, so airports are forced to give lowest price docking* fees - So the 'costs' of all this are externalised onto other businesses - and totally skewed away from environmental concerns.
Remember all those 'ghost flights' that were kep going over the pandemic - criminal.

*Or whatever it's called.

Anyhow up, looking forward to a nice train trip to Shropshire tomorrow..
Storm thingywotsit, notwithstanding.🤔

albion

Guru
Seems that this year has had one third of its days ago 1.5C. Bearing in mind the 'tipping poing' is predicted at between 1C and 2C, which I assume 2C means near total extinction.
I can imagine if that one third increases over the next 12 months it hints that we have hit the extinction guaranteed level.

BoldonLad

Seems that this year has had one third of its days ago 1.5C. Bearing in mind the 'tipping poing' is predicted at between 1C and 2C, which I assume 2C means near total extinction.
I can imagine if that one third increases over the next 12 months it hints that we have hit the extinction guaranteed level.

Time to get the credit cards maxed out then? ;)

Wobblers

Top Bottom