Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The report says current demand 299TWh, onshore could provide 206, offshore 2121 and utility solar 544 domestic solar 25. They don't mention what storage would be needed. It would be interesting to see their logic - e.g. why 10x current demand, is this the practical maximum, or is that the size required to supply projected demand all year round? I think this is where we will end up though.

Definitely not my area of expertise, to me, Electricity is magic, but, what little I do understand suggests that Storage is the big challenge.

matticus

Guru
So even if you want to be environmentally friendly for whatever reason, the system is against you

Have you only just noticed?!?

:smile:

mudsticks

Squire
Have you only just noticed?!?

:smile:

Quite the revaluation huh??

It's almost as if the fossil fuel industry and it's beneficiaries / subsidiaries, has far greater leverage with continuing their, highly profitable to them, 'business as usual' model.
And are able to rig the game completely their way.

eg Zero tax on aviation fuel.

Than us green sorts do when we're (at our own cost) trying to persuade, and hasten systemic reductions in GHG heavy activities.

But then, you catch a not awfully well off (because they're not engaged in massively exploitative, or extractive occupations) person, eg a soil building, carbon capturing, organic farmer occasionally making trips in a diesel car - because they can't afford an EV (yet)

And there will be immediate howls of "hypocrite" -"How can we take you seriously?"

It's almost as if the system we're not actually able to opt out of, is totally rigged against doing 'the right thing' even if you want to ... 🤔

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Quite the revaluation huh??

It's almost as if the fossil fuel industry and it's beneficiaries / subsidiaries, has far greater leverage with continuing their, highly profitable to them, 'business as usual' model.
And are able to rig the game completely their way.

eg Zero tax on aviation fuel.

Than us green sorts do when we're (at our own cost) trying to persuade, and hasten systemic reductions in GHG heavy activities.

But then, you catch a not awfully well off (because they're not engaged in massively exploitative, or extractive occupations) person, eg a soil building, carbon capturing, organic farmer occasionally making trips in a diesel car - because they can't afford an EV (yet)

And there will be immediate howls of "hypocrite" -"How can we take you seriously?"

It's almost as if the system we're not actually able to opt out of, is totally rigged against doing 'the right thing' even if you want to ... 🤔

Given the enormous disparity in cost (ie over 100% 200Euro vs 600-800Euro, I think it was) between the rail journey and the flight, I suspect there may be slightly more to it than fuel duty. That is without even considering the other customer service(?) considerations mentioned by @Unkraut (eg lack of "joined up" booking options).

Top Bottom