Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
I reckon that the car will get banned soon. Just not in car based economies.
https://amp.theguardian.com/environ...faster-climate-change-greenhouse-james-hansen
Translates to 'Tipping point likely to be reached this decade'.

In car economies there needs to be major tax changes to push towards active travel.

matticus

Guru
I've been in contact with a cyclist I vaguely know who is "taking the plunge" with JSO. He recently retired from what you might call a proper upper-middle class profession; lovely chap, and the last person you'd expect to see waving placards. He sent me a long+intersting email (which sadly I can't really paste here!), but here's an edit:

I've attended a zoom call with JSO ... I came away still conflicted about what to do. ...
there was a lot of uncertainty at the meeting about whether the best tactics are being employed. However, they're teh only game in town at teh moment so why not be part of it? If you've got an hour Chris Packham's C4 documentary, "Is it time to break the law?" pretty much summed up my position and he concluded that it is time
Anyway, I'm 99% sure I'll be marching next week, and am very likely to be arrested. I'll feel better afterwards, but that's probably the only positive that might arise ...
I'm rather impressed, and await updates. His email has brightened my day!

I reckon that the car will get banned soon. Just not in car based economies.
https://amp.theguardian.com/environ...faster-climate-change-greenhouse-james-hansen
Translates to 'Tipping point likely to be reached this decade'.

In car economies there needs to be major tax changes to push towards active travel.

It's not going to happen.
Look at the noise around ULEZ, LTNs, etc. it's not going to happen until the streets are either so flooded that there's nowhere to drive or the tarmac so hot that peoples tyres are melting.

albion

Guru
It is all quite baffling. For the smaller Islands like Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Wight, being car free might even result in a massive tourism boom.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I can’t see cruise ships queuing to disgorge their passengers to Ryde Harbour.

Well, not exactly queuing, but, the occasional cruise ship does disgorge passengers at North Shields, so, perhaps, Ryde is in with a chance? ;)

the snail

Aaand it's not at all difficult to trace the links between conflict in the Middle East, and the geopolitics of oil reserves and supply, and the vast profits to be made.

Climate change will inevitably lead to conflict - look at the arab spring which was triggered by increased wheat prices following a poor harvest, with war in Libya and Syria. Meanwhile it looks like large parts of the globe will become uninhabitable for humans (cheery bedtime reading for you)
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2305427120

mudsticks

Squire
Climate change will inevitably lead to conflict - look at the arab spring which was triggered by increased wheat prices following a poor harvest, with war in Libya and Syria. Meanwhile it looks like large parts of the globe will become uninhabitable for humans (cheery bedtime reading for you)
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2305427120

Yes that's why many of us have been trying to get the urgency of tackling climate change understood for decades
It's going to affect water, food availability, health, and many other aspects of our daily lives.

It's why some of us have been trying to farm and produce food differently, and campaigned on our being part of the solution, by doing more 'climate friendly' farming, and building climate resilience into the systems we operate.

But the 'mainstream' and those who want to maintain the fossil fuel dependence hegemony have routinely marginalised and derided our work, and called it 'unrealistic' - amongst other things 🙄

But reducing inputs, and wastage, whilst massively scaling back GHG emissions is the only realistic option we have, if we are to maintain livable (for humans) conditions.

Yes that's why many of us have been trying to get the urgency of tackling climate change understood for decades
It's going to affect water, food availability, health, and many other aspects of our daily lives.

It's why some of us have been trying to farm and produce food differently, and campaigned on our being part of the solution, by doing more 'climate friendly' farming, and building climate resilience into the systems we operate.

But the 'mainstream' and those who want to maintain the fossil fuel dependence hegemony have routinely marginalised and derided our work, and called it 'unrealistic' - amongst other things 🙄

But reducing inputs, and wastage, whilst massively scaling back GHG emissions is the only realistic option we have, if we are to maintain livable (for humans) conditions.
The cruel irony will be that once beyond the tipping point and mass migration has begun, the amount of farmable land worldwide will have shrunk the point that we'll need intensive farming to feed everybody.....

Top Bottom