Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
The cruel irony will be that once beyond the tipping point and mass migration has begun, the amount of farmable land worldwide will have shrunk the point that we'll need intensive farming to feed everybody.....
Intensive farming, if by which you mean 'industrialised' farming doesn't feed people though..

Even the UN conclude that 70% of the world is fed by small and medium sized farms.

Industrialised farming is about commodities, and short term extractive profiteering.

There are plenty of stats, and studies I could bore you with (probs already have) that show smaller scaled, mixed farming has a far greater nutritional output per hectare than monocropping .

And then as if my phone is listening in..

https://www.wired.com/story/hidden-cost-world-food-system/

Banning meat would help both ways but obviously .............

Banning won’t work. How about a meat tax?

mudsticks

Squire
Banning meat would help both ways but obviously .............

Nope it wouldn't

Banning factory farming of meat, feedlots, zero grazing etc etc would help cut GhG emissions for sure.

Grazing herbivores, and other potential food waste processors (such as pigs and poultry) are a part of ecosystems, and often a vital part of nutrient recycling, and soil building.

How about encouraging the proper, and carbon neutral (at least) production of meat by persuading people to buy less, but buy better.?

Well, I was riffing on Snak’s non-existent meat tax, but actually I do think we could discourage the worst excesses of industrial meat extraction through progressive taxes that reflect the true costs of production.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
Well, I was riffing on Snak’s non-existent meat tax, but actually I think we could discourage the worst excesses of industrial meat extraction through progressive taxes that reflected the true costs of production.

Even have some 'progressive' ag policies* that encourage better farming.

*Not expecting such a thing under this current regime ofc, I know I might seem a bit 'mental' but I'm not that farking mental 🙄

Intensive farming, if by which you mean 'industrialised' farming doesn't feed people though..

Even the UN conclude that 70% of the world is fed by small and medium sized farms.

Industrialised farming is about commodities, and short term extractive profiteering.

There are plenty of stats, and studies I could bore you with (probs already have) that show smaller scaled, mixed farming has a far greater nutritional output per hectare than monocropping .

And then as if my phone is listening in..

https://www.wired.com/story/hidden-cost-world-food-system/

I don't disbelieve you at all, but you know how the world works....

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Why tackle only one side of the issue? What is wrong with. reducing meat consumption, AND, limiting or even reversing population growth?

Like a mash up of Logan's Run and Soylent Green.

Top Bottom