Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
Whilst I am sure more could have been done, both Obama and Biden, in particular the latter, have put government money into alternative fuels/clean energy; unlike the Trump administration.
Mainly fracking. That boom is another major problem.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environ...ns-soar-with-china-us-and-india-most-at-fault

Gaza might be looking total oblivion now, but long term, it is more and more looking like it is for everyone.
I blame India more than China in that China's pollution is our pollution, plus they are producing most of the goods that, only by miracle, can one day reduce it.
They are producing most of he goods by choice, not fate. The better strategy would be produces in multiple pars of the world so the environment has much more capabilities to brake down all the emissions and stuff.
That's also why children growing up on farms are healthier than children growing up in city centres despite (on paper) being exposed to the same amount of emissions

mudsticks

Squire
They are producing most of he goods by choice, not fate. The better strategy would be produces in multiple pars of the world so the environment has much more capabilities to brake down all the emissions and stuff.
That's also why children growing up on farms are healthier than children growing up in city centres despite (on paper) being exposed to the same amount of emissions

Localised particulate pollution from diesel cars, coal fires, factory emissions etc which can cause respiratory problems in built up areas, are not the same as GHGs such as CO2 which end up in our shared upper atmosphere.

These are what are causing climate breakdown on a global scale by trapping more heat than is 'normal' in our atmosphere.

I'd have thought that this was pretty basic knowledge..

Unfortunately even the basic knowledge appears to be severely lacking, but ignorance is available in abundance....

But then:
There's a lot of denial and conspiracy theory among the populous.
There's a lot of heads buried in the sand.
There's knowing the basics an carrying-on a usual.
There's people doing their best to effect change.
There are those that are giving-up.

But those with the power to make meaningful change happen, have little vested interest in doing so.

mudsticks

Squire
Unfortunately even the basic knowledge appears to be severely lacking, but ignorance is available in abundance....

But then:
There's a lot of denial and conspiracy theory among the populous.
There's a lot of heads buried in the sand.
There's knowing the basics an carrying-on a usual.
There's people doing their best to effect change.
There are those that are giving-up.

But those with the power to make meaningful change happen, have little vested interest in doing so.

The opportunities to properly educate oneself are abundant.

Unfortunately there are still many bad actors prepared to obfuscate, dissemble and deny.
Either through powerful.vested self interest, or sometimes I feel sheer through misanthropy, and egotism.

I think our best bet is reinvigorating the hopeless, whilst bringing onboard the carrying on as usual tribe, and some at least of the head in the sanders..

Not necessarily to glue themselves to the road or live up a tree, but to be vocal and be active enough to present the 'will of the people' loudly enough to those who need to hear it.

Can't remember the exact proportion but there's a number of engaged folk required, at which a political tipping point for meaningful change arrives.

It doesn't have to be 'everybody' trying to be perfect, in a clearly imperfect world, just a critical mass, of "Want to do much much betters"

No one person, or organisation can 'fix' this by themselves.

So we need to somehow create that fraternity of general goodwill towards working together, across borders, and across cultures, to solve this..

That last part is of course the hardest.

We have the science, we have most of the tech and the methodology, and more is coming on stream all the time, we even have the resources.

It's the concerted will, belief, and imagination that we can change for the better, that gets squashed all too easily.

So mental resilience, and humanity and hopefulness needs to be built in to it all too.

The opportunities to properly educate oneself are abundant.

Unfortunately there are still many bad actors prepared to obfuscate, dissemble and deny.
Either through powerful.vested self interest, or sometimes I feel sheer through misanthropy, and egotism.

I think our best bet is reinvigorating the hopeless, whilst bringing onboard the carrying on as usual tribe, and some at least of the head in the sanders..

Not necessarily to glue themselves to the road or live up a tree, but to be vocal and be active enough to present the 'will of the people' loudly enough to those who need to hear it.

Can't remember the exact proportion but there's a number of engaged folk required, at which a political tipping point for meaningful change arrives.

It doesn't have to be 'everybody' trying to be perfect, in a clearly imperfect world, just a critical mass, of "Want to do much much betters"

No one person, or organisation can 'fix' this by themselves.

So we need to somehow create that fraternity of general goodwill towards working together, across borders, and across cultures, to solve this..

That last part is of course the hardest.

We have the science, we have most of the tech and the methodology, and more is coming on stream all the time, we even have the resources.

It's the concerted will, belief, and imagination that we can change for the better, that gets squashed all too easily.

So mental resilience, and humanity and hopefulness needs to be built in to it all too.

Agree with all of the above, but it seems to be too enormous an ask considering the impending peril....

Ian H

Legendary Member
Nature based solution..

Mudflats 🤎🤎🤎

They're reflooding the lower reaches of our river valley, letting the sea back in which will create great habitat for birds as well as enhancing landscape.

Whilst also sequestering up to 20 tonnes of carbon per hectare per year 💙
Because of the way vegetation behaves in these conditions the carbon stays in that mud so long as it's not drained or disturbed..

View attachment 5159

Seagrass is reckoned to be similarly effective.

They wanted to do this to the Clyst, but there was a huge outcry and the scheme was abandoned. Which reminds me, we'll be at the Bridge tomorrow - beer menu and mobile-phone ban.

mudsticks

Squire
Agree with all of the above, but it seems to be too enormous an ask considering the impending peril....

Yup I agree the enormity of it can be overwhelming at times..

So you either have to choose ignore it all, give up in despair, and bitterness.

Or find a way to keep going .

I've been through several cycles of hopelessness / depression with it, over the years.

Now I've managed to develop some version of equanimity - acting as best as I can see fit, with the energy and talent available to me, whilst still living and enjoying my one given life.

And activism (of many variations) can be very enjoyable and rewarding in itself.
- You get to hang out with some very switched on, interesting people.

Thankfully the mental elf aspects of all this are better recognised nowadays, and there are various ways in which the community takes care of, and looks out for each other to avoid burnout.

Localised particulate pollution from diesel cars, coal fires, factory emissions etc which can cause respiratory problems in built up areas, are not the same as GHGs such as CO2 which end up in our shared upper atmosphere.

These are what are causing climate breakdown on a global scale by trapping more heat than is 'normal' in our atmosphere.

Bit of nit-picking and then claiming ''pretty basic knowledge'' but where i wrote ''emissions'' it should read as every f.ucking thing you can find in the air in my example.
We also have a other example called the ozone layer, years ago it was starting to break down, and key point at some place more than others, so spacing does matter, and the hopefull thing is that in case of the ozone layer we found out the planet can restore itself if when we got rid of the harmfull elements.

But then claiming ''China is a deserve more credit because they produce for all of the world'' is wrong in my view, first of political it is not a smart idea to give one country so much power, secondly China simply scoped to much on their plate, Yes they improved actually a lot, but still Hotan, China is on the 2 place of most polutting city in the world.

If you want to talk about soluttions you have to be open to re-think everything. Sadly we and clearly off course nothing like this is ever going to happen, they will push EV's now, making the rich, richer and the poor, poorer and them being told they are polutters because they drive an old polutting car. And in max 10 years time we will find out EV polutte even more so we can move to the next thing. Just how it went with wood-pallet heating for example.

mudsticks

Squire
^
Do we have an interpreter on this thread? Or are they all busy elsewhere?
It says.

"I don't like the fact that some pretty basic and important distinctions around climate change science, GHGs, and more general air pollution was pointed out to me, so I'm going to mischaracterise that as 'nitpicking, and then by way of deflection go on to talk about some other stuff, that may or may not be relevant to the discussion "

matticus

Guru
It says.

"I don't like the fact that some pretty basic and important distinctions around climate change science, GHGs, and more general air pollution was pointed out to me, so I'm going to mischaracterise that as 'nitpicking, and then by way of deflection go on to talk about some other stuff, that may or may not be relevant to the discussion "

Thank you for stepping in, good work. 👍

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I don't give a fock about your colleagues
They are very nice people saving the planet at high speed ...

I mention them because they are the real world as opposed to the fantasy world of the Internet.
OK, so you we agree that there are virtue-signalling millionaire celebs hitching upto this wagon. Well spotted brother!
(do you think that changes the science?)
No it doesn't change the science any more than gay Catholic priests going after the choir boys refutes Catholicism. It does indicate they don't actually believe the message they proclaim to others. And if they the messengers don't believe their own message why should anyone else?

Such priests are pretending to be devout and activists pretending to care for the environment.
For a view from the rank-n-file, please read Mudstick's post below. And please provide some rational reaction to it. Thanks.
@mudsticks seems to be the first person I have encountered albeit virtually who sees the disconnect between behaviour and credibility.

Rich middle-class jet set activists who can afford high energy prices are not going to get far with the traditional working class population whose standard of living stagnated 20 years ago. That's 40% of the population this side of the Channel.

Top Bottom