Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
No it doesn't change the science any more than gay Catholic priests going after the choir boys refutes Catholicism. It does indicate they don't actually believe the message they proclaim to others. And if they the messengers don't believe their own message why should anyone else?

Such priests are pretending to be devout and activists pretending to care for the environment.

okay, let's cut the crap; do YOU believe the message here? Do you support the message?

albion

Guru
Can we get any more moronic?
'COP28: Is the world about to promise to ditch fossil fuels?'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67566443

Cop28 will be known as when big oil took ownership and increased the endemic corruption.

It says.

"I don't like the fact that some pretty basic and important distinctions around climate change science, GHGs, and more general air pollution was pointed out to me, so I'm going to mischaracterise that as 'nitpicking, and then by way of deflection go on to talk about some other stuff, that may or may not be relevant to the discussion "
It waqs nit-picking, and you known damn right, read your own response, the end result comes down to exactly the same. and ''talk about other stuff'' i responded to something, yes shocker the world does not resolve around you.

More good news from the courts:

Just Stop Oil Supporters Found Not Guilty for Wilful Obstruction of the Highway

District Judge Bone acquitted 7 people for disrupting traffic in October 2022, ruling that the action was proportional under Article 10 and 11 of the European Convention on Human Rights. Full press release here: https://juststopoil.org/2023/12/06/seven-just-stop-oil-supporters-found-not-guilty

Judge Bone will be off this week’s Home Secretary’s Christmas card list.

matticus

Guru
BUT ... i don't really get Packham's latest venture. Surely this is doomed to failure? Of course if it's just a publicity stunt, that's fine, but ... it seems a lot of work :-/

I believe the PM broke the law when he delayed Net Zero back in September .

The govt are under obligation from the Climate Change Act to meet Net Zero by 2050 through their own Carbon Budget – this can't be abandoned on a whim .

That's why I'm taking them to the High Court .

View: https://twitter.com/ChrisGPackham/status/1732392195309838493

stowie

Bit of nit-picking and then claiming ''pretty basic knowledge'' but where i wrote ''emissions'' it should read as every f.ucking thing you can find in the air in my example.

It isn't nit-picking to differentiate between pollution types as it clarifies the nature of the issue and informs on the steps being taken or needed to be taken.

In a broad sense, air pollution can be divided into "local" and "global". At a local level, CO2 is simply not a pollutant. That is, if you stand next to a vehicle exhaust, the CO2 isn't going to harm you (unless you are in such an enclosed environment that CO2 can reach very high levels and if that is the case something else from the exhaust will get you first). But as the evidence shows, CO2 on a global level is an enormous issue.

Conversely NOx is not a long-lived gas (breaking down to Ozone with sunlight for example). It isn't a factor in climate change. But on a local level it is a very dangerous pollutant that is classified as being unsafe for humans at any level.

In short, humans evolved to deal with CO2 (we exhale it after all). But it has no mechanism for NOx.

Stuff like this obscures the rational for measures. I have seen the London ULEZ being criticised because London traffic contribution to world CO2 is miniscule and why do it when China emits so much? Which completely misses the point that ULEZ is designed specifically to reduce dangerous local gases like NOx. Hence the reason the restrictions on Petrol cars are pretty lax but on diesel much more strict. It also informs on the dichotomy of previous governments push to diesel (which emits less CO2) and now local restrictions on diesel cars (which emit more NOX).

This division is crude. For example particulates are a local issue affecting individuals directly but are very long lived and can travel many miles. But it helps me understand a little better the measures that are being proposed and what they are trying to address.

albion

Guru

albion

Guru
"The 1.5 limit is deader than a doornail,” Hansen told a press conference to introduce the paper. He said he and his coauthors expect temperatures to consistently hit or exceed that level during the 2020s, then rise rapidly over the next two to three decades afterward. “The 2-degree limit is also dead, unless we take purposeful actions to reduce Earth’s energy imbalance,” he said.

The study, which appears in the journal Oxford Open Climate Change, asserts that many previous forecasts of future warming have used faulty assumptions about the sensitivity of the Earth’s atmosphere to greenhouse-gas levels. They also say that recent major reductions in aerosol pollutants, which reflect energy back into space, is admitting more solar radiation to the surface, supercharging the rate of warming."
https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2...st-paris-goals-this-decade-asserts-new-study/

albion

Guru
As well as promoting Active travel, banning flying is another must, at least until we are on top of we things.
Whether less cars, less meat, no flying and less oil is enough, who knows.

No meat is another simple solution, that one making for more food production as a side effect.

Top Bottom