Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
So there is a master stroke in Liz Truss's deal with New Zealand then...
Soon we won't have any meat and dairy farmers left - mission accomplished!

Although it does rather miss the point that some land is only suitable for animal farming. Try growing crops here:
View attachment 1944

It's pretty suitable for, er, forest. Which is better for pretty much everything downstream including productive lowland farming. Monbiot has been banging on about this stuff for years to anyone who will listen. The bare hillsides are artefacts of farming subsidies.

So there is a master stroke in Liz Truss's deal with New Zealand then...
Soon we won't have any meat and dairy farmers left - mission accomplished!

Although it does rather miss the point that some land is only suitable for animal farming. Try growing crops here:
View attachment 1944

That land should not be farmed for sheep, but rewilded....
[EDIT]
Oops - eloquently beaten to it by Claudine!

NZ lamb sold in the UK has a lower carbon footprint (among other environmental markers) than UK hill lamb.
However you carve-it, meat as we consume it today (globally), is absolutely unsustainable....

Last edited:

Climate Crisis: Are we actually doing anything?​

Jup throwing away money to people who say they are gonna solve the problem by creating a other problem, so the same people have a new problem to adress in about 10/15 years time. You known in the early 2000's after Al Gore said ''where alle gonna die act now'' they came up with wood-pellets as ''green'' fuel, by then it was promoted by the lie it was all old wood that was turned into pellets.
Now people with wood-pellets heating are told there dirty polluters, just as all those poeple buying ''clean'' diesel cars now are being told they are driving ''an older polluting vehicle'' and are slammed with environmental charges.. How long before they come up with an new zone because you are driving ''an older polutting ev'' or something.

albion

Veteran
When diesel became the new green it was 'cough cough'.

Just shows what a bunch of t***s most politicians are.

Bazzer

That's what they hope to do, I feel sure, but I wonder if they've considered the cost of the bureaucracy to do it?
Or the practicalities.
The police seemingly cannot stop the rise in recent years of uninsured drivers, or that of illegal e bikes and e scooters. And the last time I looked, a car was far easier to spot than either a bike or scooter.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Or the practicalities.
The police seemingly cannot stop the rise in recent years of uninsured drivers, or that of illegal e bikes and e scooters. And the last time I looked, a car was far easier to spot than either a bike or scooter.

Exactly, yet another clickbait proposal, which will have zero effect, in practice.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
That's what they hope to do, I feel sure, but I wonder if they've considered the cost of the bureaucracy to do it?

I don't think they care about tax revenue, I think they've identified an out group they can exploit to win votes. Under a different government I might reject the suggestions as nonsense which will never happen, but with this lot who knows? They might be bonkers enough to try it. They certainly don't mind sinking huge amounts of money into harebrained schemes with little regard for the consequences.

albion

Veteran
You forget this can be a prime example of the benefit of sovereignty gained. There is a lot going on with this goverment
Exactly, yet another clickbait proposal, which will have zero effect, in practice.

As winjim just said, the demonisation of cyclists might be a facet of populism. If cyclists are not deemed to be 'the people' then obviously they can become just like the usual targets. Stuff like this became more a necessity 2016 onwards.

Last edited:

albion

Veteran
The other thing to note is that there is a large shortfall of Russian money going into party and member coffers.
I quite imagine insurance companies have suddenly become keen to compete for a possibility of being 'preferred insurer'.

Top Bottom