Contradictory Messages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
spen666

spen666

This is not what is happening.

Judges are being given the option to take into consideration the convicted person’s level of cognitive and emotional maturity. Full sentencing powers remain available in all cases.

That is exactly what is happening.
U25s are being treated differently. The Judge does not have that requirement for over 25s.

I'm not saying it is wrong that this happens. Just that it is happening

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
That is exactly what is happening.
U25s are being treated differently. The Judge does not have that requirement for over 25s.

I'm not saying it is wrong that this happens. Just that it is happening

It is not a requirement, it is an option available for consideration. I’ll say this yet again, the person remains convicted and held responsible for whatever crime was committed.

Convicted people have their sentences adjusted for all sorts of reasons; being under the influence of alcohol or drugs, mental health problems, extreme provocation, previous good character, co-operation with authorities etc.

How do you envisage dealing with this perceived contradiction you are highlighting?

Mr Celine

There is an apparent contradiction in saying u18 year old are both as mature as older people and that u25s are not as nature as older people.

If the two activities, voting and criminal acts, were undertaken in similar circumstances there could be a contradiction.

But who votes, or decides who to vote for, on the spur of the moment? Do you? Did you do that when you were young?

Were you more impulsive when you were young? Did you take more risks? Were you more likely to have inadvertently carried out a criminal act due to your lack of experience?

All uphill

I have a slightly different take on this.

Nobody checks our mental health or emotional stability before we vote, because the vote is,fortunately, not dependent on our mental condition whether we are 18 or 95 years old.

Sentencing including mitigation relating to a crime are influenced by the judge's understanding of our mental and cognitive condition at the time.

Apples and pears.

Imo the decision about whether to extend the vote to 16 year old is a political and social one.

D

Deleted member 28

Imo the decision about whether to extend the vote to 16 year old is a political and social one.

Of course it is, if Labour pi$$ed it every election and lowering the voting age might get the Tories in you'd all be against it, I'm surprised you're not calling for a rule change that grants 2 votes to anyone who doesn't vote Conservative.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Of course it is, if Labour pi$$ed it every election and lowering the voting age might get the Tories in you'd all be against it, I'm surprised you're not calling for a rule change that grants 2 votes to anyone who doesn't vote Conservative.

The rule change is next on the agenda 😊

Ian H

Guru

Where's Gerry when you need him?

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
This is just my opinion and not based on any stats or facts. But I think lesser sentences for younger people is aiming to a) reduce the overall population in prisons to save money. And b) give younger people a chance to rehabilitate, be released and then contribute to society. Whether that works at all is another matter, but to house a prisoner in the UK costs £47k/year.

I don't agree with lesser sentences based on age, as everyone matures at different rates. Unless there are mitigating circumstances like learning difficulties and/or proven diagnosed mental health issues, it should be the same for an 18yo as it is for a 78yo.

icowden

Legendary Member
I don't agree with lesser sentences based on age, as everyone matures at different rates. Unless there are mitigating circumstances like learning difficulties and/or proven diagnosed mental health issues, it should be the same for an 18yo as it is for a 78yo.
I'm with you on that one. Sentencing should based on the offender, the offence and the requirements for rehabilitation. Punitive sentencing is costly and reductive.

Top Bottom