Cost of Petrol?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Maybe ask why people drive in the first place ? They can keep putting the price up , it might reduce some usage however there are still those that rely on it to get for. A to B .

If only public transport was actually useful for those of us who live out with the large towns and cities. My eldest has to work three jobs at the moment to keep his income constant ?! Can’t get to those jobs by bus and on time !

When Mrs Celine got her first permanent teaching job it was in a small town on the edge of nowhere miles from where she lived. She applied for and got, within a week, an offer of a council house.
If only we still had them.

slowmotion

Yesterday, unleaded was £1.77 a litre at Asda, Penryn, Cornwall. I only wanted to buy about 10 litres to fill up the outboard a few times.

BTW, did I tell you that I don't own a van anymore?

FishFright

I know right, just cos Russian troops marched into Ukraine, destroyed their cities, murdered, and brutalised their citizens, and are trying to grab land that doesn't belong to them, other countries got all narked, and started imposing sanctions.

I mean, chill out guys it's just a little skirmish, nothing to get all uppity about..

And then the speculators made billions driving prices way higher than the shortages which hadn't even started yet.

mudsticks

Squire
And then the speculators made billions driving prices way higher than the shortages which hadn't even started yet.
There seems no shortage of people willing to exploit the misery, or vulnerability of others..

The complexities, of fuel 'shortages' markets, and price hikes are outwith my field of knowledge .

Beyond that so much of the 'power' in geopolitics hinges on the 'ownership' and exploitation of fossil fuels.

In terms of food shortages we should never have got ourselves to the place where globally so many people were dependent on a few commodity foodstuffs from two such dominators of the market.

ie Russia and Ukraine.

Resilient localised food systems have been destroyed and depressed in favour of promoting commodification of food, for profit first, not for good nutrition of humans

This is all of course tied in with the fossil fuel dependency, of agriculture, it's all interlinked..

Beebo

Veteran
Lots of organised demonstrations causing blockages on major A roads and motorways. Causing huge disruption.

I await hearing from everyone who complained about Insulate Britain’s similar protests.

Especially that stupid lady in the Range Rover.

D

Deleted member 28

Nope. Neither do I claim to be Greta Thunberg!

This is our one indulgence. We run cheap and frugal cars and do relatively low personal mileages, neither fly (or have flown for a very long time) for personal pleasure. Our new house is thermally efficient and solar panelled.
Our camper is our happy-place, as frugal as a van gets pretty-much, and equivalent or better than many wankpanzers that people use for everyday life, school runs, willy-waving etc. It's our holiday-home, our social life, our weekends away - many of which are fairly local. It allows us easy access to friends and family. It's no more indulgent than owning a large car, or owning and towing a caravan in economic respects.
And yes, it may become prohibitively expensive. But we try to drive/use-it it wisely until we can no longer afford to do so.

And fly all over the World for work. 🤣

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
Lots of organised demonstrations causing blockages on major A roads and motorways. Causing huge disruption.
I have to say that the people doing it must be ££loaded££.

spen666

There is some irony in the fact that people protesting about the price of fuel are wasting fuel driving in slow moving convoys to clog the roads.

If fuel were so cripplingly expensive, then surely they would not be wasting more fuel

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I have to say that the people doing it must be ££loaded££.

If fuel were so cripplingly expensive, then surely they would not be wasting more
For people who drive for a living, or for whom fuel is a very large part of their employment costs neither of the above has to be true.

If fuel this year is costing some person or company an extra £1000/2000/10000k a year then spending between £100 and £300 on a protest that they hope will have some effect is not such a big deal, especially if others share the price of the fuel used in the protest.

Like other protestors, including those for green issues, they obviously believe the cost is worth it, and do not have to be "loaded".

D

Deleted member 49

Fully support this,I'd be too much of a hypocrite to criticize it as I drive for a living myself and know plenty who are reliant on their cars,vans and not just for pleasure.I don't see the big difference between this and the rest of the cost of living crisis.

Beebo

Veteran
There is some irony in the fact that people protesting about the price of fuel are wasting fuel driving in slow moving convoys to clog the roads.

If fuel were so cripplingly expensive, then surely they would not be wasting more fuel

Same as striking.
People want more money by sacrificing a chance to earn money.

FishFright

For people who drive for a living, or for whom fuel is a very large part of their employment costs neither of the above has to be true.

If fuel this year is costing some person or company an extra £1000/2000/10000k a year then spending between £100 and £300 on a protest that they hope will have some effect is not such a big deal, especially if others share the price of the fuel used in the protest.

Like other protestors, including those for green issues, they obviously believe the cost is worth it, and do not have to be "loaded".

Rusty's protest manual - Don't

Top Bottom