Cost of Petrol?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
This is not a uniquely UK problem. I paid €104 to fill up with diesel yesterday, the first time ever I have gone over the €100 mark. Not quite a full tank but not far off it.

Just like the UK tax has been adjusted with a view to getting the cost down by about 16 cents a litre, but despite an initial drop in price this is hardly if at all now being passed on to customers. I don't think you could claim the oil companies' profits are under pressure at the moment.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Anyone else wondering where the RAC has been for the last month and why it doesn't care about Diesel?

It's cost over £100 to fill up a family car on Diesel for at least 4 weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61743734

Or am I just "above average"?

Depends what you mean by “family car”. My (diesel), Renault Captur, used to cost £38 to fill (before Ukraine), now costs £55. A few days ago, on M1 NB services (I forget which), diesel was over £2/litre for the “fancy” stuff, and £1.98/litre for the “ordinary”.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
Depends what you mean by “family car”. My (diesel), Renault Captur, used to cost £38 to fill (before Ukraine), now costs £55. A few days ago, on M1 NB services (I forget which), diesel was over £2/litre for the “fancy” stuff, and £1.98/litre for the “ordinary”.

I presume you aren't filling from empty? According to specs the Captur has a 39 to 44 litre fuel tank. From empty assuming the 39 it would still be £72 around here!

Although to be fair google says my Grand Scenic has a 53 litre tank but I routinely put 56 to 57 litres in it!

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I presume you aren't filling from empty? According to specs the Captur has a 39 to 44 litre fuel tank. From empty assuming the 39 it would still be £72 around here!

Although to be fair google says my Grand Scenic has a 53 litre tank but I routinely put 56 to 57 litres in it!

Empty in the gauge, not, literally empty

stephec

Regular
Just filled up a diesel Mondeo that was showing as having 40 miles left in the tank, £105.78 at Tesco, I'm glad its not my money.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
my bike doesn't need petrol or diesel
True. Mine neither. But the car does and it is required to collect/deliver my children to/from school and my wife to/from work as well as occasional supermarket and garden centre use, and even more occasional trips to visit family.

Julia9054

Regular
Screenshot_20220312-114929_Facebook.jpg

Just heard our camping weekend in the west country has just been cancelled...that's just over £200 of diesel saved.... :ohmy:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Just heard our camping weekend in the west country has just been cancelled...that's just over £200 of diesel saved.... :ohmy:

I managed to get from Heidelberg to Newquay on one tank of diesel. In my company car days we had to do a course on how to drive efficiently and save fuel, and now I have to pay for this myself this has come in handy.

I managed to get from Heidelberg to Newquay on one tank of diesel. In my company car days we had to do a course on how to drive efficiently and save fuel, and now I have to pay for this myself this has come in handy.

Agreed.
Whether it's my imagination or not, it does seem that motorway speeds have dropped notably. With the camper we've stripped unnecessary weight and dropped the motorway cruise control from 70 to 60mph and gained about 5mpg which is around 15%. 55mph may be required next.
The hypermilers show what can be achieved by taking fuel economy strategies to extremes.
Every little helps!

Top Bottom