Cruella Braverman...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

The UK's foreign policy has been bonkers for a while.

I still can't quite get my head around the resistance for Scottish independence, but the idea that Brexit was a great idea. So, no to some unions, but yes to another? Stellar logic.

I did enjoy everyone trooping up to Scotland for a bit of campaigning when it looked like we might have actually voted to leave...

The tories foreign policy is rock solid. If its foreign it's the devil's work.
Brexit,
EU workers propping up our ailing NHS, farming, hospitality and countless other industries.
Let's dump metric and get back to good old British imperial,
Oooh, let's not forget all those Afghans who worked alongside the British and were promised save haven...... How are they doing?

fark 'em, we hold all the cards.

For the few, not the many.

Take.it away Elvis...

View: https://youtu.be/lhaTY9tEP1U

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Done a bit of reading about Suella. Apparently she wants to curb foreign students in the UK.

Despite the Government having set a target to increase the number of foreign students in the UK.

She really doesn't have a clue what she's doing.

Isn't it spouses and children of foreign students accompanying them that she wants to restrict? And reduce/get rid of the automatic right to work in the UK for 2 years on completing your degree. It's worth a discussion as to the value of her proposed policies but I haven't read that she wants to reduce actual numbers. One effect would be that of mature students mostly male students would come because female students likely wouldn't come without their children.

It's also worth a discussion as to whether UK unis are too financially dependent on foreign students. 70% of London School of Economics students are from abroad for example.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
It's also worth a discussion as to whether UK unis are too financially dependent on foreign students. 70% of London School of Economics students are from abroad for example.

Any other examples of inward investment worthy of your knee-jerk mistrust, Aurora-boresusall?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Isn't it spouses and children of foreign students accompanying them that she wants to restrict? And reduce/get rid of the automatic right to work in the UK for 2 years on completing your degree. It's worth a discussion as to the value of her proposed policies but I haven't read that she wants to reduce actual numbers. One effect would be that of mature students mostly male students would come because female students likely wouldn't come without their children.

Her proposals have been fairly widely reported.

I do agree that universities rely on funding from foreign students heavily. But they'd be gubbed without that money and the country's education system needs a pretty radical overhaul IMO. No idea what the answer is, but I don't think restricting access is the way to go.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Any other examples of inward investment worthy of your knee-jerk mistrust, Aurora-boresusall?

I wonder why this forum is the same half a dozen people going round in circles? Why are there scores of folk on the main forum 24/7 but the number who venture over here is practically zero? It remains a mystery.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Wondering is free.
As is being mystified.
Having a GCSE or two more than shep doesn't give your reactionary bilge a free pass, if anything makes it more shameful.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I haven't seen you actually take part in a discussion for ages, Fozy. All you seem to do is be bitter and moany about those that do join in. You don't even seem to enjoy being on here. If you think my postings on this forum are 'shameful' you've led a very sheltered life.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
You wade, tits deep, though sewers of unabashed right wing racist ordure with nary a murmur - "Hmm, sandalwood and frangipani" - while instances of left wing wimsy bring you foaming to a frothy crescendo.

Ought the LSE to be sending applicants from overseas to Rwanda?

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Her proposals have been fairly widely reported.

I do agree that universities rely on funding from foreign students heavily. But they'd be gubbed without that money and the country's education system needs a pretty radical overhaul IMO. No idea what the answer is, but I don't think restricting access is the way to go.

Yes, the income from international students must be a huge part of the income for some unis. Not sure if other countries have a numbers cap, though I know the Netherlands have a very high number of international students due to running parallel courses in English and Dutch. There's also the question of how much this income from international students funds research, especially in subjects which may have lost EU funding.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
You wade, tits deep, though sewers of unabashed right wing racist ordure with nary a murmur - "Hmm, sandalwood and frangipani" - while instances of left wing wimsy bring you foaming to a frothy crescendo.

'Tits deep'? Just plain old sexism now then. At least you're being honest.

I've no idea why you think it's my job to comment on every thread on here. Most people don't join every discussion. You might be aiming for humerous 'whimsy' but it comes over as pointless and bitter. You seem to be the only one foaming at the mouth in the middle of a civil discussion. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Ian H

Guru
The mostly wealthy foreign students are here because previous governments encouraged universities to become more like businesses.

Top Bottom