Cut parents benefits over school truancy

• Thread starter Deleted member 121
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
There are certainly plenty of "users" of alcohol and tobacco, to provide statistically significant analysis. I would have thought it would be the less commonly used, and/or recently introduced, illegal drugs which would cause a problem of statistically significant analysis.

But, if you don't have actual figures (no, nor do I) then, no point in banding opinions.

For the record, I am of the opinion, legalise them all, put appropriate health warnings on them, regulate quality, and tax them, just like alcohol and tobacco. Plus of course, appropriate laws for criminal behaviour whilst under the influence.

I'm happy to agree to disagree with your first point.

And happy to agree with your outlook on the second.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Ok, forget morals for a minute, can you provide any positives for becoming a Heroine addict?

Not sure I need to provide positives, as I'm not arguing it's a state to aspire to, but I do think there's a point about bodily autonomy, and about people with few other forms of control over their lives having agency. I'm sure you'll ponder this point with an open mind over Pints #7 and 8.

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
Explain then what you think would happen if people it was 'decriminalised ' would I be able to walk into a legal 'drug outlet ' and buy some heroine?
You can't buy people, and especially not leading ladies.

icowden

Legendary Member
You tell me what 'legalising ' the consumption of class A drugs would say to you.
Would you interpret that as "As long as this Heroin is 'pure' and sold legally it's ok to inject it into your veins".
Sort of. It would tell an addict that they don't have to worry about the heroin being cut with rat poison or other dodgy compounds. Decriminalisation or legalisation isn't about creating more addicts, it's about controlling and helping those you already have.

Presumably you'd rather put up with muggings and shop thefts.

Just the same as walking into a pub and asking for a 'legally produced pint o of Lager'.
That might well be the case one day. It's not that hard to envision a world where you pay with a finger print and exceeding your permitted alcohol consumption for the week or day invalidates your life insurance etc. It's a bit Black Mirror but we already have a system for car insurance where you can fit a black box that monitors your driving to lower your premium.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
I'd try heroin if it was legal and purity assured: not because I'm young, impressionable and under peer pressure, but because it's supposed to be really nice.

multitool

Shaman
Social attitudes towards drug use are interesting.

There is a stigma attached to drug use which associates it with either crime or pathology. And yet this same stigma is not apparent for use of alcohol, despite the social harms being more pronounced. A trip to A&E, or the police cells on a weekend night demonstrate this amply. Violence, especially domestic, is largely alcohol-fuelled. RTAs are often ascribable to alcohol use. Only at an extreme and chronic end of usage is alcohol seen as 'problematic', and even then it is dealt with in the domain of public health rather than (as with 'drugs') within public order.

This Manichean attitude towards drugs makes no sense, and as I said earlier, I would welcome a paradigm shift from treating drug misuse from a public order issue to a public health issue.

What is it to which we actually object with drug use? Is it harm? In which case a harm reduction model would be the most rational response. We can see these in operation at a local level, but generally not through national policy. Festivals may have drug testing tents operating in a tacit legal grey area, but nevertheless demonstrably reducing harm.

Or is it that we object to people having fun in certain ways? There seems to be a social proscription around drug use that does not apply to more dangerous leisure activities such as dangerous sports.

At any level it is not rational, but what is worse is that a rational discourse at a political level is impossible because of atavistic reactionary views and the weaponisation of them by political factions.

D

Deleted member 49

I'd try heroin if it was legal and purity assured: not because I'm young, impressionable and under peer pressure, but because it's supposed to be really nice.
Nice is a bag of crisps and pot of Hummus...not a word I'd associate with Heroin.

D

Deleted member 49

I wouldn't but I'm not young and impressionable that may be under pressure from my peers.
Im not really meaning you can go and get a bag of smack at the local Nisa...although that's where we are now almost.If you look at somewhere like Portugal Heroin isn't legal but has been decriminalized.Im pretty sure addiction and overdoses have not increased.In fact I'll think you'll find addiction has fallen through education and support.I really don't want to go down the misspent youth but everything was easily available to me when younger,just as it is to kids now.Feck you can order your gear off TikTok 24/7 ! Are we actually getting anywhere with the war on drugs.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 28

Im not really meaning you can go and get a bag of smack at the local Nisa...although that's where we are now almost.If you look at somewhere like Portugal Heroin isn't legal but has been decriminalized.Im pretty sure addiction and overdoses have not increased.In fact I'll think you'll find addiction has fallen through education and support.I really don't want to go down the misspent youth but everything was easily available to me when younger,just as it is to kids now.Feck you can order your gear off TikTok 24/7 ! Are we actually getting anywhere with the war on drugs.

The power of the internet eh!

D

Deleted member 28

Why not just try some anyway, I would imagine you've broken the speed limit on occasion so what's the difference?

D

Deleted member 28

You lot fill yer boots, it's all immaterial anyway because can you see ANY government decriminalising class A drug use anytime soon?

Top Bottom