District elections

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think we need to know how the Conservative police commissioner in charge of the local Freeport and his conservative wife managed to get 3 recounts in Redcar when the numbers were never even close.

View: https://twitter.com/dave43law/status/1655893390578401280

Echoes of Trump's "Find me another 11000 votes".

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
FvmXC6pXoAEwPRC?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

matticus

Guru
Some .. err... double-edged comments from Mogg:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...es-conservatives-rishi-sunak-uk-politics-live

Rees-Mogg criticises photo ID voting law, calling it move to 'gerrymander' elections
Jacob Rees-Mogg, the Tory former business secretary, has described the requirement for people to need photo ID to be allowed to vote as “gerrymandering”.

The law, which came into force following the Elections Act 2022, will apply throughout the UK at the next general election, and took effect for the first time at the English local elections earlier this month.

In his speech to the NatCon conference, Rees-Mogg (who defended the legislation when he was a minister and it was going through parliament) said:

Parties that try and gerrymander end up finding their clever scheme comes back to bite them, as dare I say we found by insisting on voter ID for elections.

We found the people who didn’t have ID were elderly and they by and large voted Conservative, so we made it hard for our own voters and we upset a system that worked perfectly well.

ebikeerwidnes

Up his own arse, the corrupt tard.

Vote corruption, vote Tory. Not enough dumb idiots around I hope.

That might be classed as optimistic

I think you are being overly kind about the ability of the 'average person' to sensibly research and check on things they are being told and then use this to come to sensible conclusions

spen666

I think we need to know how the Conservative police commissioner in charge of the local Freeport and his conservative wife managed to get 3 recounts in Redcar when the numbers were never even close.

View: https://twitter.com/dave43law/status/1655893390578401280

As I understand it there were 2 candidates returned. The 1st candidate had a huge lead, but the margin between 2nd candidate elected and 3rd who misses out was only 4 votes.

That would normally be called a close vote

icowden

Legendary Member
Rees-Mogg criticises photo ID voting law, calling it move to 'gerrymander' elections
Somewhat astonishing that JRM has decided to admit that the Conservatives were trying to rig the local elections in their favour.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
As I understand it there were 2 candidates returned. The 1st candidate had a huge lead, but the margin between 2nd candidate elected and 3rd who misses out was only 4 votes.

That would normally be called a close vote

I concede that it was close. However, I can't help feeling that it doesn't need 3 recounts to tally two sets of just over 400 votes (413/409). The fact that it was the Tory wife of the Tory police commissioner who stood to lose makes it look very fishy indeed.

ebikeerwidnes

I concede that it was close. However, I can't help feeling that it doesn't need 3 recounts to tally two sets of just over 400 votes (413/409). The fact that it was the Tory wife of the Tory police commissioner who stood to lose makes it look very fishy indeed.

Of course the multiple recounts had the effect of allowing the Police time to investigate whether or not the complain was valid
but only if they really got a move on
like, for example, they might do if pressure was put on them from senior officers under 'instruction' from the PCC

maybe

multitool

Shaman
Somewhat astonishing that JRM has decided to admit that the Conservatives were trying to rig the local elections in their favour.

Well, you have to remember that Rees-Mogg has been sidelined by the Sunak regime, which is why you no longer see him on your TV screen, unless you tune in to GBNews. ;)

Last edited:

multitool

Shaman

Seems a bit odd unless somebody's deposit was at stake.

One of the oddities in 1997 was at least one recount in my constituency, Daventry which is one of the safest Tory seats in the Country. Turned out it was because one candidate was a cat's whisker short of retaining their deposit.

classic33

Seems a bit odd unless somebody's deposit was at stake.

One of the oddities in 1997 was at least one recount in my constituency, Daventry which is one of the safest Tory seats in the Country. Turned out it was because one candidate was a cat's whisker short of retaining their deposit.
There's normally no deposit involved/required in local elections.

Top Bottom