Local Elections May 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Locally (South Tyneside), Labour have lost 10 seats to a mixture of Greens and Independents. The sole Conservative Councillor has gone too.

The good news is, there were no Reform candidates elected,

Results for police Commissioner and Regional Mayor not in yet as far as I can see.

Turnout, as usual, was abysmal at 32.6%

We have had an ongoing strike of Refuse Workers, for about 6 months, this probably didn't help the "ruling" labour group.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
The strike won't have helped Labour at all. I really don't get what either the council or the union is playing at. They've had someone external come in to assess the situation who wasn't able to understand the issue.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

The strike won't have helped Labour at all. I really don't get what either the council or the union is playing at. They've had someone external come in to assess the situation who wasn't able to understand the issue.

Yes, ACAS, at least were involved, and, allegedly the GMB did not abide by the findings.

The "word on the street" is that it is all about bullying, the main claim I have heard is about one or more refuse collectors being disciplined for helping elderly people with their wheelie bin. Supposedly, the written submission by the Union to STC did not even mention the word "Bullying". There isa mechanism (other than thoughtful neighbours) for the elderly/vulnerable/etc to get assistance with wheelie bins. As far as I know, there has been no official communication by either side to inform the victims of the action (eg the residents), what it is all about, so, the "facts" are based on Social Media posts.

The (Labour) Councillor for our ward has lost her seat, which isn't a surprise, given the bitterness caused by the dispute, but, she was, in my opinion, a diligent and helpful individual, who has held the seat for as long as I can remember. Very unfortunate and sad for her, IMHO.

Of course, we also have the case of the former (Labour) leader of the Council allegedly miss-using his corporate credit card, over a number of years, and, various other miss-demeanours involving his lady friend, and her housing needs, but, I suspect the "Bin Strike" has been the main reason for Labour's losses.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I know a couple of folk who work at the council, one specifically in the refuse department. Without going into more reason than necessary, there's been no official communication from either side because the rationale keeps changing.

I reckon most people have forgotten about the credit card thing to be honest, the state of the streets is a much bigger concern for residents.

Still, back to the lottery of "put both your bins out next week and one will be collected at some point". I'm just glad I didn't pay for the garden waste surcharge this year, they missed the last two collections last year and although not a huge amount of money in the scheme of things it still annoyed me.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

I know a couple of folk who work at the council, one specifically in the refuse department. Without going into more reason than necessary, there's been no official communication from either side because the rationale keeps changing.

I reckon most people have forgotten about the credit card thing to be honest, the state of the streets is a much bigger concern for residents.

Still, back to the lottery of "put both your bins out next week and one will be collected at some point". I'm just glad I didn't pay for the garden waste surcharge this year, they missed the last two collections last year and although not a huge amount of money in the scheme of things it still annoyed me.

Yes, I think you are right. In fact, three out of my four drinking group did not even know about it, to forget!

Didn't have you down as a Gardener?, except, possibly in the loft :laugh:

C R

Über Member
I was going to start a thread with this question, but I guess this thread could be suitable.

So, the question. Why is vote counting so slow and inefficient in the UK?

In Spain counting is done at the polling stations immediately after the closing time. This way you have all ballot boxes counted in parallel, and it takes only a couple of hours to get results that are pretty much definitive.

In contrast, the bulk system used in the UK seems to take forever, and it would seem to me to be more susceptible to error.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

I was going to start a thread with this question, but I guess this thread could be suitable.

So, the question. Why is vote counting so slow and inefficient in the UK?

In Spain counting is done at the polling stations immediately after the closing time. This way you have all ballot boxes counted in parallel, and it takes only a couple of hours to get results that are pretty much definitive.

In contrast, the bulk system used in the UK seems to take forever, and it would seem to me to be more susceptible to error.

Hasn't Brexit taught you anything?

We have always done it that way, we don't need new fangled ideas from foreigners thank you ! :laugh:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Yes, I think you are right. In fact, three out of my four drinking group did not even know about it, to forget!

Didn't have you down as a Gardener?, except, possibly in the loft :laugh:

If you count butchering a lawn every few months and doing the same for my elderly neighbours then yes, I am a gardener!

matticus

Guru
It isn't life or death, but it does seem a bit wasteful to have this slow complicated system.

What is it wasting? To be honest, I'm not familiar with the exact mechanics of the 2 countries' systems (or any others), but if we're just throwing less overtime payments at the problem, and it gets done a few hours/days later, what's the problem? Persuade me!

Ian H

Guru
I suspect that, Spain being more thinly populated with population centres more widely scattered, counting is done in smaller batches of necessity - thus more quickly.

C R

Über Member
What is it wasting? To be honest, I'm not familiar with the exact mechanics of the 2 countries' systems (or any others), but if we're just throwing less overtime payments at the problem, and it gets done a few hours/days later, what's the problem? Persuade me!

Mostly is the way that the counting in here happens so slowly, some results are not expected until tomorrow, so the circus just drags on.

C R

Über Member
I suspect that, Spain being more thinly populated with population centres more widely scattered, counting is done in smaller batches of necessity - thus more quickly.

Counting is done at the station, and urban stations can have several hundred ballots per box.

The widely scattered situation is true in some areas but not others, and in any case, there's nowhere in Spain with the kind of scattered population you find in the Highlands.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

albion

Guru
I noticed Ben Houchen was relelected as Tory mayor. Unsurprising.

It did no harm to have massive billboards near the old Redcar British Steelworks proclaiming investment successes.
The Keith Houchen connection did no harm either, and likely what got him into prominence.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom