District elections

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Über Member
Just checked our ward results. Two seats available, two libdem and two tory candidates. The two tories got in, but there were only 11 votes between the second tory and the first libdem, a glint of hope there.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
What ever point you think you’re making doesn’t tally with what I actually wrote.

only that I live in an area where they weigh the labour vote, not count it, we had elections this time around.

icowden

Legendary Member
Aren't a lot of them though, from all parties?
Yes. The difference tends to be that the Conservatives are much better at it. Private Eye this week had a nice article about all the politicians currently involved in questions or select committees around gambling and their visits to racecourses etc. There was only one Labour MP who managed to get tickets and his were worth less than half of what the Tory MPs were getting.

BoldonLad

Yes. The difference tends to be that the Conservatives are much better at it. Private Eye this week had a nice article about all the politicians currently involved in questions or select committees around gambling and their visits to racecourses etc. There was only one Labour MP who managed to get tickets and his were worth less than half of what the Tory MPs were getting.

Isn't it likely that because, at present, Tories are the party of Government? Not mush point sucking up to someone who cannot influence the outcome. When Labour are in power, I am sure there will be plenty willing trough visitors in their ranks. ;)

icowden

Legendary Member
Do you know that for a fact?
Does it matter what they claim for, if it is unjustified?
Yes. Expenses are recorded. They are a matter of public record. That said, I will sort of correct myself as in terms of the expenses scandal, Barbara Follet managed to claim £42000 fraudulently, Hazel Blears claimed £45000 for property expenses and Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper managed £310,000 in one year.

Of course, they were eclipsed by Doug Hogg cleaning his moat and Peter Viggers claiming £30000 for gardening and a duck house.

That said, Tories tend to be much better at getting "justified" gifts, directorships, board jobs etc. It's a staple of Private Eye. For example, in this weeks issue, Laurence Robertson not only gets 2k per month to advise on safer gambling, he also took advantage of tickets to Cheltenham Festival 3 days in a row from three different gambling companies . 5 other Tory MPs who also lobby for gambling got tickets worth between £1000 and £1500 eah. The only Labout MP was Mark Tami who managed tickets worth £780 - by far the lowest priced tickets for Cheltenham.

D

Deleted member 28

True, but lets face it a Labour MP has never managed to claim expenses for cleaning his moat.

Needs to buy a better house then.

BoldonLad

Yes. Expenses are recorded. They are a matter of public record. That said, I will sort of correct myself as in terms of the expenses scandal, Barbara Follet managed to claim £42000 fraudulently, Hazel Blears claimed £45000 for property expenses and Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper managed £310,000 in one year.

Of course, they were eclipsed by Doug Hogg cleaning his moat and Peter Viggers claiming £30000 for gardening and a duck house.

That said, Tories tend to be much better at getting "justified" gifts, directorships, board jobs etc. It's a staple of Private Eye. For example, in this weeks issue, Laurence Robertson not only gets 2k per month to advise on safer gambling, he also took advantage of tickets to Cheltenham Festival 3 days in a row from three different gambling companies . 5 other Tory MPs who also lobby for gambling got tickets worth between £1000 and £1500 eah. The only Labout MP was Mark Tami who managed tickets worth £780 - by far the lowest priced tickets for Cheltenham.

Like I said, those in power are more likely to get the freebies. I am a PE reader too.

Locally, (solid Labour) a number of years ago we had T Dan Smith and Poulson.

lazybloke

Regular
My district council went from blue to NOC in 2018, and to yellow in 2019. The results the other day show a near total collapse in Tory support.

But Kier has work to do to appeal in the commuter belt - no Labour wins; not even a candidate in several wards.

ConservativeLabourLib DemIndependent
2017210137 (6 Ashtead Independents + 1 Beare Green Independent)
2018200147 (6 Ashtead Independents + 1 Beare Green Independent)
2019120227 (7 Ashtead Independents)
2021120227 (7 Ashtead Independents)
2022100247 (7 Ashtead Independents)
202330306 (6 Ashtead Independents)

Annoyingly all 11 Surrey MPs are Conservatives (currently), and the County Council remains strongly blue.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 121

Here in my local council (Lichfield) the tide has shifted from the conservatives for the first time in 24 years to No Overall Control. They lost 11 Councillors. They did have 34 councillors out of 47. Now 23. Labour gained 7 up to 17 councillors, Libdems 6 now up to 7. It is worse than the Cons expected and this area is a fairly conservative area only ever been Labour controlled for 4 years out of the last 50 and Cons have had it for 43 years. Incidentally, last time this council was in NOC, Harold Wilson was PM, if that means anything at all....

Top Bottom