Does anybody here take the Greens seriously?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Maybe Urdu speakers are identified as the cohort with the lowest proficiency in English? To me it looked like he spent 19 seconds introducing himself. Ironic that the ones making mountains out of mole hills is not the 'boob whisperer'.

I think if I were pursuing that sort of thing, and if only 19 seconds each, I'd be doing as many languages as I could get my mouth round. Mamdani seems to use the tactic well, but he's using languages that 100's of 1000's of New Yorkers speak.

It's more the oddity of the decision it that interests me – why Urdu, given how few constituents (apparently) speak it?
 

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
I don't take much from local election results, but I think non-righties are happy to vote tactically to keep the xenophobes out, but the xenophobes hate each other enough not to be willing to compromise.
I hope so.

I wonder what prompted this - faulty data?

View attachment 17289
Ahem. Perhaps he's been listening to his cockney barber?
 

C R

Squire
Re the ligua franca comment from @Ian H. Apparently Urdu and Hindi are mutually intelligible, sort of. Pronunciation makes oral intelligibility not straightforward, and the fact that each use different scripts makes text mutual intelligibility even trickier.

Farsi and Urdu are further appart that Urdu and Hindi, but as both use Arabic script it is possible for speakers of either to read the gist of a text in the other language. Urdu pronunciation is apparently too difficult for Farsi speakers to follow, but the other way around is easier.
 

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Haha. Mean. But still haha.

1789657067153.png
 

UglyWithaSidePart

Active Member
Maybe Urdu speakers are identified as the cohort with the lowest proficiency in English? To me it looked like he spent 19 seconds introducing himself. Ironic that the ones making mountains out of mole hills is not the 'boob whisperer'.

'boob whisperer' hahahaha
Sorry, carry on.
 

AuroraSaab

Epic Member
He's trying to deflect criticism of being a parachuted in candidate. He did stand there for the council 20 years ago, which I suppose is more of a link than some parachuted candidates have had. I think his bigger problem might be the proposals that could be put forward by members at the GP conference. If these are a bit let's say unusual he might find they undermine his efforts to be taken seriously. It's how the Green Party structure works but it's unfortunate timing that the by election and conference are close together.
 
Top Bottom