Electricity cars reducing global warming.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
Not looking good.
I suppose a British No Volt is likely better than yet another government led disaster.
https://www.business-live.co.uk/manufacturing/ceo-battery-plant-firm-britishvolt-24818481

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
Levelling down as usual, no doubt

Knowledgeable, I assume, comments in that Chronicle news article appears to explain the 'life support' news from a week ago.
Shame, the Express, the same day, was heralding Britishvolt as another round the corner Brexit success.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
'Hanging in the balance' https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/sep/29/britishvolt-38bn-battery-factory-green-industry
"The Guardian understands it leased a seven-bedroom £2.8m mansion with an indoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi for executives, and hired a Dubai-based fitness instructor to conduct yoga classes for staff over video. Britishvolt executives even travelled in a private jet owned by one of its billionaire shareholders for work purposes – although Britishvolt says no company money was used to fund the journeys."

DeLorean did get to build a car. Batteries here are more charred than charged.

Last edited:
Seems to me battery technology is overrated, for example a dutch trucking companies is trialing both hydrogen/fuel-cell electric trucks and battery powered trucks, the battery powered truck has to be boosted(with an fast charger) every stop for 30 minutes, and then is 8 hrs out of running to get a full load. The fuel cell truck is re-fuelled in less than 10 minutes... even with liquid hydrogen being considerately more expensive then electricity and/or fast chargers understandly they still prefer fuel cell.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
We just need ultra fast chargers at bus stops.
https://www.motorindiaonline.in/xalt-energy-signs-deal-with-chinese-bus-manufacturer/

It seems they get to 80% in 6 minutes, last near forever and work in all climates.
Being near the safest of the lot, it would be good if they were mandatory on ebikes.
I think the new lightweight 1000kg Amazon delivery vans in India will use this type (Toshiba scib)

Last edited:

Milzy

Hydrogen is said to be close to matching diesel in price and if so, that means you can install an infinite amount of solar panels or win turbines. The spare capacity can power the eletrolyser making hydrogen.

It is said power cuts loom this winter so who gets priority?
Strangely, the Guardian has just reported that ebike sales in the UK have declined and are now at a rate one twelfth of that in Germany.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ing-growth-uk-risk-left-behind-europe-experts

Hydrogen is very very dangerous. We don’t have any safe ways of storing it. I wish people would stop mentioning it. For one it uses a lot of energy to process. It’s never going to happen in cars. Maybe in space craft around 2285.

D

Deleted member 121

Hydrogen is very very dangerous. We don’t have any safe ways of storing it. I wish people would stop mentioning it. For one it uses a lot of energy to process. It’s never going to happen in cars. Maybe in space craft around 2285.

Nonsense. The North Koreans collected sunspots off of the sun for recreational purposes and which is essentially a giant hydrogen furnace. They were sensible though and went at night time while the sun was cooler. If they can fly to the sun and collect sunspots, then we can damn well harness the power and abundance of Hydrogen. 💪

Milzy

Nonsense. The North Koreans collected sunspots off of the sun for recreational purposes and which is essentially a giant hydrogen furnace. They were sensible though and went at night time while the sun was cooler. If they can fly to the sun and collect sunspots, then we can damn well harness the power and abundance of Hydrogen. 💪

Maybe. I remember when Kim played golf for the first time and hit a hole in one on one all 18 holes. Then said I’m the best in the world so retired.

You read to much facebook experts, surely an Hydrogen-bomb is dangerous. But fuel-cell / liquid hydrogen has proven to be very safe, if there would be an leak in the tank it would simply evaporate instead of ignite.

Milzy

You read to much facebook experts, surely an Hydrogen-bomb is dangerous. But fuel-cell / liquid hydrogen has proven to be very safe, if there would be an leak in the tank it would simply evaporate instead of ignite.

The manufacturing/storage and transportation doesn’t look safe to me. Costs will be high too. I’m sure someone with a chemistry degree has already explained it. Won’t be happening in our life time.

Top Bottom