Electricity cars reducing global warming.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
Seems both Truss and Subak are competing to outdo Boris in economic madness.
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/n...em-with-solar-panels-but-not-fracking-331556/

No doubt there will be commonalities to the onshore windfarm ban. In addition to destroying the UK economy I mean.
Fracking is fine even if it might take 50 years to find any oil.

"“Yet the two candidates for Prime Minister are falling over themselves to say how much they dislike solar farms. How did we end up in this alternate universe?"

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
The nine replacement turbines in Ovenden Moor wind farm* stand at 110 metres high. They are stationary most of the time, or turning so slowly, you can only see that the blades have moved if you watch for a while.

It, the wind farm, was sold, outright, for a little over £14 million in early 2021. Yorkshire water still own the land it's built on, and control access to it.
It's supposed to be them who forced the sale. It has only one customer, a local school. And has since the nine new turbines went online.

Why did e-on sell out, if the future is in windpower.
Lots of issues here. The farm runs 95% of the time according to the internet. A wind farm cannot just serve one customer. Ovenden is designed to produce 22.5Mwh, a school would use around 10Kwh. Wind farms power is sent to the Grid, not individual properties. Yorkshire water appear to have decided to sell the land (their shares in it).

classic33

Lots of issues here. The farm runs 95% of the time according to the internet. A wind farm cannot just serve one customer. Ovenden is designed to produce 22.5Mwh, a school would use around 10Kwh. Wind farms power is sent to the Grid, not individual properties. Yorkshire water appear to have decided to sell the land (their shares in it).
It's "in operation" every day, but it's not producing every day. The old site supplied 6,000 nearby houses. Not a lot from 20+ turbines.*
The windfarm itself has already been sold.
As to why only one customer, who knows? But the only cables laid when it came back on line, went to the school by a circuitous 12 mile route, when the direct route, not straightline distance was under a mile. Green it ain't.

*They were smaller and less efficient than the nine in place at present.

icowden

Legendary Member
It's "in operation" every day, but it's not producing every day. The old site supplied 6,000 nearby houses. Not a lot from 20+ turbines.*
The windfarm itself has already been sold.
Nope.

The power output from the site was fed via a sub-surface 11 kilovolt cable eastwards into the National Grid near to the village of Denholme.[10] The first generation site provided enough power for 5,600 homes[11] and stopped over 10,000 tonnes (11,000 tons) of carbon dioxide and over 90 tonnes (99 tons) of sulphur dioxide being released into the atmosphere
The farm supplied electricity to the National Grid near Denholme. It did provide enough power for 5,600 homes. It didn't power them directly.
Then it got upgraded:-
The total power output of the new wind farm is 22.5 MWh
But the only cables laid when it came back on line, went to the school by a circuitous 12 mile route, when the direct route, not straightline distance was under a mile.
I agree that seems odd, but a wind farm cannot provide output directly to a school. Output is sent to the National Grid.

classic33

Nope.

The farm supplied electricity to the National Grid near Denholme. It did provide enough power for 5,600 homes. It didn't power them directly.
Then it got upgraded:-

I agree that seems odd, but a wind farm cannot provide output directly to a school. Output is sent to the National Grid.
If you had a turbine of a similar size to one of the smaller ones, now gone, supplying what it produced to your property alone, how would that be done.

As I said wiki is out of date* on this. It no longer supplies the properties in Denholme. Now it doesn't, due to the cables not being connected. The only cables now connected to the farm were put in place less than five years ago.

* Check the dates on the piece you quoted. All from before the cable laying work was done. They head the opposite way to Denholme.

icowden

Legendary Member
As I said wiki is out of date* on this. It no longer supplies the properties in Denholme. Now it doesn't, due to the cables not being connected. The only cables now connected to the farm were put in place less than five years ago.
And as I said, it never *did* supply electricity to Denholme. It supplied electricity to the National Grid, probably via Bradford West Substation which is near Denholme. When built it would have supplied enough power to power Denholme, but the power would not go to Denholme directly.

National Grid are doing major work on the Bradford substations. After the repower of Ovenden it is likely that they asked for the power to be routed to a different substation (possibly one with high capacity, given the more than doubling of the farms generation capacity).

The generator is responsible for producing electricity from wind power. After passing through a transformer and a wind farm substation, it reaches the grid, and in this way gets to our homes.​

Only the National Grid can supply electricity to homes and schools from major power installations. You can install your own Solar panels or single Wind Turbine, but over a certain size, you have to work with National Grid as the power has to be routed to a National Grid Electricity Substation.

You can't attach a 22.5 megawatt wind farm to a school.

I've now found the planning document. The farm has it's own substation which was rebuilt as part of the repowering project. The connection of that substation to the electricity transmission network was the responsibility of Yorkshire Electric Distribution Ltd. Cables would have been laid from the on-site substation to whichever substation YEDL thought appropriate. Environmental impact will have been taken into consideration when laying the cables, so a direct route may well not have been possible.

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
It, the wind farm, was sold, outright, for a little over £14 million in early 2021. Yorkshire water still own the land it's built on, and control access to it.
It's supposed to be them who forced the sale. It has only one customer, a local school. And has since the nine new turbines went online.
According to the agent, Ovenden Moor Wind Farm was sold on behalf of Yorkshire Water and they were looking for offers in excess of 4 million.
RES are the site operational managers since the repower in 2017 - originally it was Yorkshire Wind Power Ltd a joint venture between Energy Power Resources Ltd and E.ON.

icowden

Legendary Member
Seems both Truss and Subak are competing to outdo Boris in economic madness.
I did see an interesting insight about this.

You have to remember that they aren't interested in doing anything that they have stated. They are only interested in appearing to offer it so that they can secure votes from the majority of bewildered conservative pensioners. Their "campaigns" are solely aimed at those people, not at winning an election, or appealing to anyone else.

If they thought it was what elderly conservative members in the shires wanted, they would promise to build an Ikea on the moon.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
I am mildly surprised no one yet has claimed wind turbines are tethered to an alien spacecraft, waiting to attack once they are numerous enough.
'Alien Invasion thrawted' by the genius of Boris Johnson and Co. You could read it in the Sunday Sport.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I did see an interesting insight about this.

You have to remember that they aren't interested in doing anything that they have stated. They are only interested in appearing to offer it so that they can secure votes from the majority of bewildered conservative pensioners. Their "campaigns" are solely aimed at those people, not at winning an election, or appealing to anyone else.

If they thought it was what elderly conservative members in the shires wanted, they would promise to build an Ikea on the moon.

It is a leadership election, presumably, the objective of both Sunak and Truss is to win? So, yes, I would expect them to try and appeal to those who have a vote, in this election (regardless of their age and/or location). Once elected, the challenge will be to win the next GE, which will require promises which appeal to a wider electorate. It is how the game is played isn't it?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It is a leadership election, presumably, the objective of both Sunak and Truss is to win? So, yes, I would expect them to try and appeal to those who have a vote, in this election (regardless of their age and/or location). Once elected, the challenge will be to win the next GE, which will require promises which appeal to a wider electorate. It is how the game is played isn't it?

Interesting article, something the size of a cow need, apparently, perhaps, a cow, attempting the jumping over the moon? ;)

Top Bottom