Enhanced Britishness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
It’s strange that people are quick to point the finger at say religion as a cause of major global conflict but seem to be blind to overt nationalism.
Populism feeds on nationalism and as I think most can clearly see, that around the world overt nationalism doesn’t lead to a peaceful existence.
What we need is LESS nationalism, not more….

No 'nationalism' at all in that sense of the word
preferably.

Just a touch of mild 'patriotism' if you want.

Ie being pleased if 'our' country, does a good thing .

But be honest, and even a bit p*ssed off if it doesn't.

That's an adult approach , yes??

The whole "proud to be from"

concept is a bit weird anyway ..

I mean I totally get having affection for the place one is born in, or where one lives.

If it's a half decent place, and doesn't do awful things.

But we do need to be realistic about the downsides, as well as any upsides of nation states or places.

And as for my being a 'proud' Englishwoman,??

I mean this is where I happened to emerge into the world..

Thanks for all that effort mum!!

But I didn't do anything clever to make that happen , I've got nothing to crow about.

As chance would have it , three weeks earlier I could have been born in Scotland.

If my dad had taken a different job I could have been born in Trinidad, by all accounts

None of these chance places of birth would have been anything for me to be 'proud' of.

I sort of think Trinidad might have been kinda cool though :blush:

mudsticks

Squire
I was just musing on the difference between Englishness and Britishness (or what is left of it). I'm allergic to flags and I don't stand for anthems.

The Welsh seem to love any excuse for a sing song though

And don't they do it well...:smile:

mudsticks

Squire
If only......

I was a church choir member when I was a kid but it all went downhill from there.

I am pleased to be Welsh, but I don't understand proudness in something I had no say in or responsibility for.

Well maybe the ones who do it well -

- also do it loud enough to drown out the less mellifluous :rolleyes:

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
What is this English National anthem, of which you speak.

Oh and compared with the other nations , our folk music is pretty rubbish.
Jerusalem.

And we have some very fine folk music and many of what are currently regarded as Irish folk tunes apparently have British roots. Though admittedly there's nothing to match slavonic dance tunes in the repertoire.

No 'nationalism' at all in that sense of the word
preferably.

Just a touch of mild 'patriotism' if you want.

Ie being pleased if 'our' country, does a good thing .

But be honest, and even a bit p*ssed off if it doesn't.

That's an adult approach , yes??

The whole "proud to be from"

concept is a bit weird anyway ..

I mean I totally get having affection for the place one is born in, or where one lives.

If it's a half decent place, and doesn't do awful things.

But we do need to be realistic about the downsides, as well as any upsides of nation states or places.

And as for my being a 'proud' Englishwoman,??

I mean this is where I happened to emerge into the world..

Thanks for all that effort mum!!

But I didn't do anything clever to make that happen , I've got nothing to crow about.

As chance would have it , three weeks earlier I could have been born in Scotland.

If my dad had taken a different job I could have been born in Trinidad, by all accounts

None of these chance places of birth would have been anything for me to be 'proud' of.

I sort of think Trinidad might have been kinda cool though :blush:
I hear you brother/sister/other…

Definitely of the sisterhood..:okay:

Although we welcome stout allies .
I welcome stout ales….

Milkfloat

I have always thought Parklife by Blur would make a great national anthem, not sure it is fully inclusive of the whole of the UK but it does strike a chord with me.

Top Bottom