Food banks: A first hand experience.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Some unexpected bills this month, as well as a cock-up from Universal Credit left me staring down the barrel of 75p in the bank and absolutely no food in my flat.

A less than ideal situation as my next payment is on October 17.

Fortunately I've been getting support from a local mental health group who have links with a food bank. I've been offered a 'food parcel' from them before, but always been just about alright so hadn't needed to use this part of the service. This time I didn't really have an option.

I genuinely wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm bloody glad I took my camping back-pack along. Turns out that Gregg's gives out a huge amount, as does Sainsbury's and Premier Stores. There will be others but they were the most recognisable 3 from the things I received.

Obviously it's pretty grim that food banks have to exist, but I'm bloody glad they do. And it's touching to know that while there's a lot of doom and gloom out there, humanity isn't totally up the creek.

PaulB

I take regular bags to my local food bank which just happens to be in the same room we have our drumming group on Mondays so I'll be going there in about half an hour. Some of the sights, and stories I hear are truly distressing but I imagine it's going to get a lot worse.

My wife's nurses (she's their manager) are telling her of many examples of families they home visit having no choice in having to keep their power running 24/7 to maintain their children's life-preserving pumps, respirators and other machines so are already in heavy debt or going hungry. Most of them are already using food banks.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Some unexpected bills this month, as well as a cock-up from Universal Credit left me staring down the barrel of 75p in the bank and absolutely no food in my flat.

A less than ideal situation as my next payment is on October 17.

Fortunately I've been getting support from a local mental health group who have links with a food bank. I've been offered a 'food parcel' from them before, but always been just about alright so hadn't needed to use this part of the service. This time I didn't really have an option.

I genuinely wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm bloody glad I took my camping back-pack along. Turns out that Gregg's gives out a huge amount, as does Sainsbury's and Premier Stores. There will be others but they were the most recognisable 3 from the things I received.

Obviously it's pretty grim that food banks have to exist, but I'm bloody glad they do. And it's touching to know that while there's a lot of doom and gloom out there, humanity isn't totally up the creek.

Were those unexpected bills your sky tv payments or other genuine bills?..

jowwy

It's cute that you've taken your view of those on Universal Credit straight from the worst parts of the red top press...

I know it's oft said in jest on here, but I genuinely haven't got a TV.

Yet you was watching the cricket yesterday , live on sky tv???

i also dont believe all universal credit claimants are scroungers, just you, because you believed the same of me, without me actually being on universal credit. But now its come back to bite you on the backside.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I take regular bags to my local food bank which just happens to be in the same room we have our drumming group on Mondays so I'll be going there in about half an hour. Some of the sights, and stories I hear are truly distressing but I imagine it's going to get a lot worse.

My wife's nurses (she's their manager) are telling her of many examples of families they home visit having no choice in having to keep their power running 24/7 to maintain their children's life-preserving pumps, respirators and other machines so are already in heavy debt or going hungry. Most of them are already using food banks.

Good on you! When I was able I did similar. I'm glad that people are still able to, and that local businesses are supporting them too. I'm lucky that this has only happened to me once, as it'll be a worryingly frequent experience for a lot of others.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Yeh yeh…….what a bailout statement that is. Was you listening to all the football on the radio too????

Er, yes. Other than free to air stuff, which I watch on my computer.

There are alternatives to suckling at the teat of Murdoch you know?

jowwy

Er, yes. Other than free to air stuff, which I watch on my computer.

There are alternatives to suckling at the teat of Murdoch you know?

Ah, so you still pay for broadband then or other types of internet access?? So not cutting the expenditure to suit the position your in then…..

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Yet you was watching the cricket yesterday , live on sky tv???

i also dont believe all universal credit claimants are scroungers, just you, because you believed the same of me, without me actually being on universal credit. But now its come back to bite you on the backside.

I'm guessing this is in relation to a post I liked, which I can't even remember. But you, with your weird Rain Man mind can. I'm guessing I liked it because it was a joke, because you've made it only too obvious how fabulously hard you work and how well off you are.

jowwy

Anyone, im glad the foodbank was able to help you out. But hopefully next time someone else gets accused of being a benefits scrounger, you wont be so quick to hit the “like” button.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Ah, so you still pay for broadband then or other types of internet access?? So not cutting the expenditure to suit the position your in then…..

My broadband and mobile is a package deal. It is my only non-necessary bill, although I'd deem it pretty necessary, because otherwise I might as well go and live in a cave.

jowwy

I'm guessing this is in relation to a post I liked, which I can't even remember. But you, with your weird Rain Man mind can. I'm guessing I liked it because it was a joke, because you've made it only too obvious how fabulously hard you work and how well off you are.

Ive never said i work hard or how well off i am………

Top Bottom