Food banks: A first hand experience.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Bore off man, seriously. You've managed to knacker what was supposed to be a positive thread. Congratulations, I hope you're pleased with yourself. Another gold star on the chart eh?

Its what happens when you abuse people and make comments about people that arent true……but your quite happy to do it…

like i stated, im happy the food bank sorted you out, because no one should be left to go hungry, no matter what you think of them. Just dont be so quick to condemn others or like posts from others, without knowing the truth.

I genuinely hope your not in the same position next month, but you may need to make lifestyle changes to ensure your not.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
My broadband and mobile is a package deal. It is my only non-necessary bill, although I'd deem it pretty necessary, because otherwise I might as well go and live in a cave.

I am retired now. During my working life, although made redundant twice, I was only out of work for a total of two weeks. As a result, I cannot really speak from personal experience.

However, it is my understanding that most jobs are advertised online, plus, in many cases (including NHS) job applications are submitted to a website. This would suggest to me that a computer and an internet connection are a necessity for any jobseeker (including, of course, the unemployed).

jowwy

I am retired now. During my working life, although made redundant twice, I was only out of work for a total of two weeks. As a result, I cannot really speak from personal experience.

However, it is my understanding that most jobs are advertised online, plus, in many cases (including NHS) job applications are submitted to a website. This would suggest to me that a computer and an internet connection are a necessity for any jobseeker (including, of course, the unemployed).

No libraries where you live then or job centres, that could be used to do all of the above, without the need of personal access??? Or maybe family that would allow you to use theirs???

BoldonLad

No libraries where you live then or job centres, that could be used to do all of the above, without the need of personal access??? Or maybe family that would allow you to use theirs???

My experience with respect to online job search and job application is not personal experience, it is experience via daughter No4, who, frequently makes us of my computer, and, broadband connection, to apply for NHS jobs (she is not presently unemployed by the way).

I don't know if you have ever been unemployed, but, looking for a job (if you are doing it with serious intent) is very time consuming, more so than actually having a job, I would say. I cannot speak for all job centres, but, our local job centre is not exactly suitable environment for preparing a CV, completing application forms etc. The local library is a possibility, but, is not as effective as having constant access to a computer, or, at least, a mobile phone for Email responses from potential employers.

Again, relying on the experience of daughter No4:

the job centre appear to expect that even the unemployed will have a mobile phone, since they, not infrequently, appear to want to phone the unemployed, immediately after an interview, to enquire how it went.

even lowly paid (ie NMW) jobs, particularly via agencies, appear to assume that employees will have online access for completion of time sheets, allocation of shift rotas, etc

Finally, I did actually say, in my original response, that I was NOT talking from personal experience, so, the presence of job centres, libraries in my "local area" is not really relevant. Didn't you read the first sentence "I am retired now. During my working life, although made redundant twice, I was only out of work for a total of two weeks. As a result, I cannot really speak from personal experience." ?

jowwy

My experience with respect to online job search and job application is not personal experience, it is experience via daughter No4, who, frequently makes us of my computer, and, broadband connection, to apply for NHS jobs (she is not presently unemployed by the way).

I don't know if you have ever been unemployed, but, looking for a job (if you are doing it with serious intent) is very time consuming, more so than actually having a job, I would say. I cannot speak for all job centres, but, our local job centre is not exactly suitable environment for preparing a CV, completing application forms etc. The local library is a possibility, but, is not as effective as having constant access to a computer, or, at least, a mobile phone for Email responses from potential employers.

Again, relying on the experience of daughter No4:

the job centre appear to expect that even the unemployed will have a mobile phone, since they, not infrequently, appear to want to phone the unemployed, immediately after an interview, to enquire how it went.

even lowly paid (ie NMW) jobs, particularly via agencies, appear to assume that employees will have online access for completion of time sheets, allocation of shift rotas, etc

Finally, I did actually say, in my original response, that I was NOT talking from personal experience, so, the presence of job centres, libraries in my "local area" is not really relevant. Didn't you read the first sentence "I am retired now. During my working life, although made redundant twice, I was only out of work for a total of two weeks. As a result, I cannot really speak from personal experience." ?

I read your first line and classed it as irrelevant to the response…..

but whether its from experience or not, job centres, libraries even your local Maccy Ds or costa coffee will have free internet access available. If your serious in looking for a job, you will use any avenue available to you. Ive not been unemployed no, but also the places i have worked have not accepted a CV as a way of applying for a job with them. Its application in writing or online…..not all places of employment only allow internet only applications, because as you state, some unemployed people wont have access to broadband or the internet at home. But they can fill in a paper application to apply for a job.

BoldonLad

I read your first line and classed it as irrelevant to the response…..

but whether its from experience or not, job centres, libraries even your local Maccy Ds or costa coffee will have free internet access available. If your serious in looking for a job, you will use any avenue available to you. Ive not been unemployed no, but also the places i have worked have not accepted a CV as a way of applying for a job with them. Its application in writing or online…..not all places of employment only allow internet only applications, because as you state, some unemployed people wont have access to broadband or the internet at home. But they can fill in a paper application to apply for a job.

1. Do those establishments supply "free" computers too? Even buying the cheapest item, would mean (say) £2 per visit, if as I have done in the past, and daughter No4 has done more recently, you are applying for lots of jobs, because you are determined to get off "the dole", this could become costly.

2. Agreed

3. I think I did say CV and/or application form

4. I didn't say they did. But, as you yourself state, "if you are serious in looking for a job, you will use any avenue open to you" which, in my book, means applying for every job which you are possibly capable of doing, regardless of the method of application required by the (potential) employer.

jowwy

1. Do those establishments supply "free" computers too? Even buying the cheapest item, would mean (say) £2 per visit, if as I have done in the past, and daughter No4 has done more recently, you are applying for lots of jobs, because you are determined to get off "the dole", this could become costly.

2. Agreed

3. I think I did say CV and/or application form

4. I didn't say they did. But, as you yourself state, "if you are serious in looking for a job, you will use any avenue open to you" which, in my book, means applying for every job which you are possibly capable of doing, regardless of the method of application required by the (potential) employer.

1. He already states he has a laptop for watching non paid for Tv…..maccy ds is a pound for a burger

2. we both agree

3. we both agree

4. so doesnt always require internet or phone to apply for a job, so in essence, not a necessity

jowwy

So nice to see forum members offering support to someone going through a tough time.

Best wishes @AndyRM

Some people deserve support…..he doesnt in my eyes. Maybe read some of his posts about others and the type of posts he likes.

BoldonLad

1. He already states he has a laptop for watching non paid for Tv…..maccy ds is a pound for a burger

2. we both agree

3. we both agree

4. so doesnt always require internet or phone to apply for a job, so in essence, not a necessity

It may come as a surprise to you, but, @AndyRM is not the only unemployed person in the UK.

Well, that is a matter of opinion, and, in my opinion, for a really effective job search, a computer and an internet connection is a necessity in 2022, but, of course, you are entitled to disagree.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth

2. we both agree

3. we both agree

You have no clue about the job market, what it takes to apply for one, or anything to do with the difficulty of finding employment.

You can pretend that you do, but you don't.

But hey, crack on monitoring the posts I like and the things I say. You f*cking weirdo.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Its what happens when you abuse people and make comments about people that arent true……but your quite happy to do it…

like i stated, im happy the food bank sorted you out, because no one should be left to go hungry, no matter what you think of them. Just dont be so quick to condemn others or like posts from others, without knowing the truth.

I genuinely hope your not in the same position next month, but you may need to make lifestyle changes to ensure your not.

This is funny, you've called me all sorts, with no f*cking evidence whatsoever.

You're not happy, you don't give a f*ck. And that's fine.

Lifestyle changes? Aye, very good. You know nothing about my lifestyle. Needless to say, it's pretty spartan.

jowwy

You have no clue about the job market, what it takes to apply for one, or anything to do with the difficulty of finding employment.

You can pretend that you do, but you don't.

But hey, crack on monitoring the posts I like and the things I say. You f*cking weirdo.

Ah the old, you know nothing defence……get a farking life you sick freak

D

Deleted member 28

C'mon fella's it's getting a bit tedious now but I can see the irony in this, Jowly is obviously thick as mince and rainbow andy appears to be relatively intelligent but when you go around lording it over someone and telling them how bright you are and speak however many languages you can't really expect much sympathy when you can't even get a job?

Top Bottom