Footy violence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
Anyone got any views to share with the group?

(In your answer you may want to reference the current "Euros 2024" competition in That Deutschland. Or whether God Save the Current Monarch is really a worse anthem that Serbia's God of Justice... )

Ian H

Legendary Member
I think points should be awarded for off-pitch battles, and a trophy at the end of the season.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I am expecting to be a victim of footy violence, if they keep on cancelling Mrs Boldonlad's soaps, so they can show Euro 24 Football, or, indeed, any football. :laugh:

Personally, my only thought on the matter is... how come so many people can afford to travel to Germany, to watch England (or Scotland), when the Country (England/Scotland) is in the sorry state it is, with food banks on every corner, child poverty rife... etc

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran
There hasn’t been any significant disruption yet, and I hope it stays that way.

I do find the “German bomber” song pretty disrespectful, and embarrassing, particularly when we are guests in their country. Can’t we just move on from this now?

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
Football does attract an awful lot of hooligans. Why is that?

It's the perfect outlet for tribal violence.

I don't like to see this behaviour, but many countries (not just dear old Engerlund) have failed to stamp it out. It doesn't take an advanced degree in psychology or sociology to see this tendency, and how it would lead to joining your mates in a fight outside the pub with "the other lot".

Have we tried Iodine in their tea?

Bad Company

I’ve been a regular at West Ham and in the past England matches for many years. Yes there’s still some trouble but nothing like as bad as it was years ago.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I am expecting to be a victim of footy violence, if they keep on cancelling Mrs Boldonlad's soaps, so they can show Euro 24 Football, or, indeed, any football. :laugh:

Personally, my only thought on the matter is... how come so many people can afford to travel to Germany, to watch England (or Scotland), when the Country (England/Scotland) is in the sorry state it is, with food banks on every corner, child poverty rife... etc

And I bet they have all got Sky TV, 70" TVs smoke like chimneys, have expensive iPhone etc. etc......

In my day we had to listen to Mr Jones giving us a running commentary through the window as he watched the sport on the only B&W TV in the street.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
There hasn’t been any significant disruption yet, and I hope it stays that way.

I do find the “German bomber” song pretty disrespectful, and embarrassing, particularly when we are guests in their country. Can’t we just move on from this now?

That's positively tame compared to what opposing teams' fans sing when playing Liverpool or Man United, or when England play one of the Ireland teams.

Only bantz innit.

Beebo

Veteran
That's positively tame compared to what opposing teams' fans sing when playing Liverpool or Man United, or when England play one of the Ireland teams.

Only bantz innit.

In recent years the clubs and police have actually been very quick to call out tragedy chanting and banning fans.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
In recent years the clubs and police have actually been very quick to call out tragedy chanting and banning fans.

So it doesn't happen any more?

The whole point of this sort of chanting is that it is insulting and in bad taste. I assume "can't we just move on from this now" is rhetorical as clearly we can't (at least not voluntarily).

Beebo

Veteran
So it doesn't happen any more?

The whole point of this sort of chanting is that it is insulting and in bad taste. I assume "can't we just move on from this now" is rhetorical as clearly we can't (at least not voluntarily).

Openly racist chants seem to have almost completely gone from the UK stadiums.
I would hope that these bad taste chants can go too, it will just take time and education.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
It's the perfect outlet for tribal violence.

I’m genuinely puzzled as to what makes it this perfect outlet. There are many other team sports, none of which have anything like the levels of violence, aggression, and anti-social behaviour that come with football.

Or is it just the convenient excuse for thugs to vent their hatred?

Top Bottom