FREEDOM!! WE ARE FREE!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
But, regardless of Boris, or anyone else, that is what most people are (ie the majority). For months now, in the area I live, the "legal" requirements have been widely ignored.
Sorry - I'll clarify. I meant the majority medical opinion. When the hospitals relax their Covid policies, I will relax mine.
I agree with you that the legal requirements have been ignored for some time in England. Interestingly they have been well observed in Scotland. It's almost like England has a leader who does what he wants, fails to lead by example, has discredited himself to the point where no-one believes a word he says, whilst Scotland doesn't?

Who would have thought that to impose rules you need to be following them yourself?

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
The PM talks about exercising personal responsibility.
The irony being that he has no concept of what personal responsibility is. I mean this is the guy who decided to have an affair while his wife was having cancer treatment, can't count the number of kids he has, and needs someone else to specify whether he attended his own party, at his own property.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
The irony being that he has no concept of what personal responsibility is. I mean this is the guy who decided to have an affair while his wife was having cancer treatment, can't count the number of kids he has, and needs someone else to specify whether he attended his own party, at his own property.
Tory buzzphrase, innit.

Milkfloat

I believe that Covid payments are still currently in place for those having to self isolate after positive tests. Certainly it was in the blurb in emails I got a couple of weeks ago after reporting my positive case. So there is or was a financial difference between now and the future.

My view is that the government is revisiting its herd immunity theory. Open everything up and make sure everyone has had covid or is effectively jabbed. If it works it might actually be better for those shielding as the rates may plummet after they shoot up when the restrictions go away.

D

Deleted member 28

The PM talks about exercising personal responsibility. If you are poor and can't afford testing or to be off work then you don't have the option of exercising personal responsibility.

Going to work and spreading Covid is the issue. Poor people may have no choice but to do exactly that.
Don't poor people have jobs that pay them sick pay then in general, and if they don't then surely any illness would have an impact on them?
Ssp will be paid still.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Flu jabs are very strongly encouraged and have about an 85% takeup. There might very well be an argument for isolation in cases of flu. It would require a significant testing program though.

Strongly encouraged is not compulsory.

“There might well be” is not the same as a legal requirement.

winjim

Don't poor people have jobs that pay them sick pay then in general, and if they don't then surely any illness would have an impact on them?
Ssp will be paid still.
Asymptomatic. They are asymptomatic. And they're untested so they don't know they've got Covid. They're not sick. Or maybe they're mildly sick and think they've got a cold or whatever but their employer is pressuring them to work and they don't have the confidence or wherewithal to gamble on pissing off the boss.

That said, I think a lot of casual workers don't get sick pay and SSP is £2.60 per hour equivalent. Could you survive on that?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Sorry - I'll clarify. I meant the majority medical opinion. When the hospitals relax their Covid policies, I will relax mine.
I agree with you that the legal requirements have been ignored for some time in England. Interestingly they have been well observed in Scotland. It's almost like England has a leader who does what he wants, fails to lead by example, has discredited himself to the point where no-one believes a word he says, whilst Scotland doesn't?

Who would have thought that to impose rules you need to be following them yourself?

Assuming you are correct in your assertion that “the rules” have well observed in Scotland, has the infection rate been significantly lower than England?

D

Deleted member 28

Asymptomatic. They are asymptomatic. And they're untested so they don't know they've got Covid. They're not sick. Or maybe they're mildly sick and think they've got a cold or whatever but their employer is pressuring them to work and they don't have the confidence or wherewithal to gamble on pissing off the boss.
It doesn't matter financially then does it?

As long as they go to work they get paid, if they are Asymptomatic, Asymptomatic ( I can say it twice as well) is immaterial because they haven't got to stay at home.

Or are you saying it's an excuse to stay off on full pay even if you are well?

SSP is crap.

winjim

It doesn't matter financially then does it?

As long as they go to work they get paid, if they are Asymptomatic, Asymptomatic ( I can say it twice as well) is immaterial because they haven't got to stay at home.

Or are you saying it's an excuse to stay off on full pay even if you are well?

SSP is crap.
They're spreading Covid. Rich people have the option to not spread Covid, poor people do not. That's the point. Poor people cannot exercise personal responsibility like the PM is telling them to without the backup that is provided to them by free testing and support for isolation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

They're spreading Covid. Rich people have the option to not spread Covid, poor people do not. That's the point. Poor people cannot exercise personal responsibility like the PM is telling them to without the backup that is provided to them by free testing and support for isolation.
Make your mind up what the problem is, spreading Covid or losing money?

How much longer do you want the Government to foot the bill for?

So in your eyes all people who get sick pay are rich and those that don't are poor?

I assume you are rich then as I'm guessing you work for the NHS and will get sick pay.

You started off moaning about losing money?

winjim

Make your mind up what the problem is, spreading Covid or losing money?

How much longer do you want the Government to foot the bill for?

So in your eyes all people who get sick pay are rich and those that don't are poor?

I assume you are rich then as I'm guessing you work for the NHS and will get sick pay.

You started off moaning about losing money?
Are you winding me up or have I really explained that badly?

Top Bottom