Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Legendary Member
The mere mention across the road of Beryl Burton beating men sends the gammonati into near apoplexy.

Some of her many records were beaten only relatively recently, but with modern day riders using the kit that she did, would they beat her?

But won't the men want women out of the open category because they keep winning?
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-cyclist-who-raced-men-across-america-and-won

It's not quite so cut and dried as you pretend Aurora.
We all know women can sometimes have the edge in ultra endurance sports. That's because they are often down to overall conditioning and mental toughness, rather than explosive power.

The woman who the article is about says that directly:
"It’s a mental thing, and that’s why the playing field is even with men, because it’s not physical any more.”

Out of all the hundreds of sports events played in the world - from amateur level to elite and professional competition - what % are ultra endurance events in which women might have a slight advantage? It must be a tiny fraction of a %. Because women might have the edge in a miniscule number of ultra cycling, running, and walking events, it simply doesn't negate the proven advantage of a male body in just about every other sport that both sexes play. It doesn't even muddy the waters around the known facts of male body advantage in sports.

In most track and field events the women's world record is 10% lower than the men's WR. This is a much better indicator of the general relative performance of the 2 sexes than cherry picking the very few events in which some women can beat some men.

monkers

Legendary Member
We all know women can sometimes have the edge in ultra endurance sports. That's because they are often down to overall conditioning and mental toughness, rather than explosive power.

The woman who the article is about says that directly:
"It’s a mental thing, and that’s why the playing field is even with men, because it’s not physical any more.”

Out of all the hundreds of sports events played in the world - from amateur level to elite and professional competition - what % are ultra endurance events in which women might have a slight advantage? It must be a tiny fraction of a %. Because women might have the edge in a miniscule number of ultra cycling, running, and walking events, it simply doesn't negate the proven advantage of a male body in just about every other sport that both sexes play. It doesn't even muddy the waters around the known facts of male body advantage in sports.

In most track and field events the women's world record is 10% lower than the men's WR. This is a much better indicator of the general relative performance of the 2 sexes than cherry picking the very few events in which some women can beat some men.

Seems to me that there is substance to what Pippa York has to say.

Ian H

Legendary Member
Sorry - I suppose it is a bit of a niche term. I guess I figured people would make the connection with words like 'incarcerate'. The Welsh word for prison is carchar, as it happens...

Don't apologise. You're just showing your inner Self.

(where there's a Will...)

Ian H

Legendary Member
I have the DVD of her story. It's a good watch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wTBaW6hcGw

My old friend Mrs O knew BB. She has a photo of herself being held up about to start, BB standing behind ready to follow. "It didn't take her long to catch me".
They and others I know or knew used to attend the Birthday Rides together. I've heard amusingly ripe stories.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I forgot about the swear filter. It talks like Will fucking Self.

To me Will Self will always be the favourite author of a girl I got off with at university and to be honest I think that's about his level.

multitool

To me Will Self will always be the favourite author of a girl I got off with at university and to be honest I think that's about his level.

I've read this twice now and am still none the wiser.

Anyway, sounds like it was probably a hatefuçk

Ian H

Legendary Member
I forgot about the swear filter. It talks like Will fucking Self.
It is {COLOR=rgb(40, 50, 78)]fu[/COLOR}cking irritating.

I knew a man called Self, he was almost monosyllabic.

*That's odd. Even when I post the code into the wysiwyg panel it hides it - now tweaked it to work.

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
CTT have just announced new policy. I think it's the same as British Cycling, you can check here:

https://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/302

I think this is the key text:
...... <snip> ....
Our new policy will mean those competing in the female category are able to satisfy all the following requirements:-

1. Their sex assigned at birth was female, and
  2. They must not have undergone any part of male puberty, and
  3. Their testosterone serum level must be below 2.5nmol/L if tested.

The Board of CTT will create a new body (a Gender Tribunal) to decide gender eligibility issues and give sympathetic guidance to those affected by this policy. That body will have power to grant an exemption from the first requirement but not the second or third. This power is to allow for the (very rare) situations where it is can be established that a person was mistakenly assigned the sex of male at birth. Such a person would still need to satisfy the second and third requirement.

Non-binary persons (persons who affirm that they are neither male nor female) shall be required to compete in the Open
category. ...... <snip> ....

Top Bottom