Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Legendary Member
It's a bit early, and I do have some tractorising to do later, but hey it's Friday so go on, why the hell not?? 🥂

I really like that tonic with the angostura bitters in it too, if that's possible 👍🏼

Blimey, all these posh people on this thread - sorry Andy, I didn't mean you.

Teenage male scrotes being scrotes. I doubt the outcome would have been any different if she had been less non conforming in appearance (though she isn't particularly gender non conforming).

This is males intimidating a female because they can, simply because a) they have physical superiority in strength b) there's a few them in this instance. Surely that tells you something about the power relationships between the sexes and why all men can make women uncomfortable when they are in their single sex spaces.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
To be fair I think the letters are getting a bit out of hand.

Oh, totally. As are the flag designs. But there are sound reasons why many Lesbians (often of the second wave) don't want their identities subsumed into the category 'Gay'. There also remains, for obvious reasons, a wide range of feeling and opinion about reclaiming the word 'Queer', but it's obviously too late to stop it - it's even bandied about by posh-sounding Radio 4 presenters and the like without hesitation.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Teenage male scrotes being scrotes. I doubt the outcome would have been any different if she had been less non conforming in appearance (though she isn't particularly gender non conforming).

This is males intimidating a female because they can, simply because a) they have physical superiority in strength b) there's a few them in this instance. Surely that tells you something about the power relationships between the sexes and why all men can make women uncomfortable when they are in their single sex spaces.

What about the actual words they used?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Oh, totally. As are the flag designs. But there are sound reasons why many Lesbians (often of the second wave) don't want their identities subsumed into the category 'Gay'. There also remains, for obvious reasons, a wide range of feeling and opinion about reclaiming the word 'Queer', but it's obviously too late to stop it - it's even bandied about by posh-sounding Radio 4 presenters and the like without hesitation.

I have to say I find the flag thing a bit odd. Obviously as with the Lesbian and Gay situation you describe there are people who want their identities to be acknowledged, but it increasingly feels that a design I had previously thought to be inclusive of everybody somehow isn't.

I know that the original designer of the Pride flag had specific meanings in mind for each of the colours, but I've always felt in a rather simplistic way that the rainbow symbolises the full spectrum of existence and includes us all.

What about the actual words they used?

Like the video of the guy in his car with his phone on the other thread, calling people gay, queer, and worse, is go-to abuse for peanuts like this. If it hadn't been that it would have been something else. They would have said the same to me or any other short-haired or unconventional dressed woman if they had been in her position. Insulting women by telling them they look like a male is a pretty age old routine. As is telling men they look gay.

Don't you think it says anything about how easy it is for males to intimidate women though? It might have happened to a single male but far less likely.

multitool

No. Its males intimidating people urged on by the anti-trans rhetoric. Note they asked if she was trans, so they weren't sure of her sex.

Ian H

Legendary Member
It's a bit early, and I do have some tractorising to do later, but hey it's Friday so go on, why the hell not?? 🥂

I really like that tonic with the angostura bitters in it too, if that's possible 👍🏼

Is bitters still available in the tiny bottles? My memory is a bit vague, but many years ago I used to spend occasional evenings in the bar of a hotel, sometimes helping behind the bar. I even learnt to mix certain cocktails. That's where the story of the toothbrush comes from.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Is bitters still available in the tiny bottles? My memory is a bit vague, but many years ago I used to spend occasional evenings in the bar of a hotel, sometimes helping behind the bar. I even learnt to mix certain cocktails. That's where the story of the toothbrush comes from.

Wasn't there some issue a few years ago when they suddenly became a premium commodity because the Angostura factory shut down or something? Wanky cocktail bars were all in a panic.

Top Bottom