Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
There's nothing more conservative than thinking an oppressor can opt into an oppressed group, ie. males can become female. Sex as a material axis of oppression is Marxism 101.
I think also if you are a member of group that isn't oppressed, it isn't down to you to decide how to remove the oppressed group. I suspect that most men are not in the least bit bothered if a female wants to transition and become male. It doesn't affect us. It's very hard for a woman to attack or rape a man as we tend to be bigger and stronger even if we aren't gym fanatics.

I think we have to listen to women and ask them what they think of this stuff, and let them decide what the best way forward is.

I think we have to listen to women and ask them what they think of this stuff, and let them decide what the best way forward is.
If only they would speak with one voice…

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I think we have to listen to women and ask them what they think of this stuff,

HandsUp_large.gif

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
LOL you're going to Marxplain as well now? :laugh:

Happy to be corrected if Marx and Engels didn't see the family (as it was at that time), and thus women being required to be a reproductive resource for capitalism, as a source of oppression.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Good letter about the report in The Guardian earlier this week...

The report seeks to open up rather than close down discussion, and it does so in a way that takes seriously both problems and possibilities. The most compelling aspect, to my mind, is that it encourages us to think more deeply about why it is considered necessary to allocate legal gender identities, when most of us would recoil in horror at the idea of people being stamped at birth with a specific racial or religious identity. It’s not that we need data on gender but never on ethnicity or religion or sexuality: we need data on all of these for the purposes of identifying and challenging inequalities, and we do indeed collect data on all of them. But collecting data is a different matter from fixing people with a specific legal label.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Graham Linehan has been tweeting some really vile unhinged shoot ever since his account was reinstated. It's the ravings of a madman and says more about recent changes at twitter than it does about Linehan himself.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Linehan is certainly very direct, emotional, and shouty. He also tends towards the body-shaming angle a bit, which is unnecessary. I'd be interested in seeing examples of what you regard as vile and unhinged.

If you don't use Twitter you can read some short articles on his Substack and make your own mind up about him:

https://grahamlinehan.substack.com/

The comment he was banned for was, I understand: 'They're men 'tho.'

Also back on Twitter is Kellie-Jay Keen, aka PosieParker. She's also quite a devisive figure.
A few other women have also been reinstated, like LaScapigliata, who is worth a read.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lascapigliata8

winjim

Trying to smear people with accusations of links to paedophilia is vile and unhinged. Going after the people from a fairly innocuous TV quiz show for no good reason is vile and unhinged.

Linehan is a nasty piece of work.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Also back on Twitter is Kellie-Jay Keen, aka PosieParker. She's also quite a devisive figure.

She's a hard-right activist and a white nationalist. At least Linehan has a track record of something valuable to his credit, whatever you think of his monomania of recent years.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Talking of talented writers getting embroiled in the culture wars, there's been a shitstorm over on the CTC forum of late, culminating in the bewildered mods resorting to the usual tactic of Banning Sam. To paraphrase Mary Poppins, I suppose it's Something to Do When You Don't Know What to Do. I say culminating, but of course it's just initiating another round of whack-a-mole, only with much less interesting moles, as the membership now grapples with the knotty moral problem of what to do with a Man who Identifies as an Amputee.

winjim

Talking of talented writers getting embroiled in the culture wars, there's been a shitstorm over on the CTC forum of late, culminating in the bewildered mods resorting to the usual tactic of Banning Sam. To paraphrase Mary Poppins, I suppose it's Something to Do When You Don't Know What to Do. I say culminating, but of course it's just initiating another round of whack-a-mole, only with much less interesting moles, as the membership now grapples with the knotty moral problem of what to do with a Man who Identifies as an Amputee.

Please tell me it's not The One Joke*.

*Yes, yes there are actually two jokes, I know.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Please tell me it's not The One Joke*.

*Yes, yes there are actually two jokes, I know.

I'm not sure I can recall either - sorry, bit brain dead after an insanely busy period at work and an evening spent drinking to the end of it.

Top Bottom